Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
aalegado OP
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 477
Quit My Job, Got Divorced, Selling the House. Phuket, Time for a X-Country (?) Ride!

Title says it all!

The ride starts tomorrow, Tuesday, September 23rd. I'm starting the thread today so I have a link to publicize. This will be an on-going ride report that I update as the ride unfolds.

Here's some info to get you started:

I'm riding a Piaggio BV350ie (Yes, a SCOOTER) from Las Vegas down to Los Angeles, up the Cabrillo Highway to San Francisco and then I turn east and ride to Lake Tahoe, Reno, Salt Lake City, Moab, etc. I will cross the Mississippi at St. Louis and from there start heading northeast towards the ultimate goal of the town of York at the southern tip of Maine.

Why York, ME? I've only visited 12 of the lower-49 states but I'm missing one of the "corner" states, Maine, so I've made it the goal of this ride. Hopefully, I can get a good bowl of chowda 'here.

Along the way I will pass-through a ton of other states and see a whole bunch of stuff. I don't know what I will see but I'm sure I'll see it when I'm looking at it. Whatever it is.

Here's the general ride-plan. (Link disabled since ride-plan is has been abandoned)

Before you go ballistic about how much mileage I'm covering in so-many days and how I won't see anything due to the blue-shift that occurs when one is traveling at such relativistic velocities (I am riding a 330cc scooter, after all) hold-your-fire: My original end-date constraint has gone away so I no longer have to follow the day-by-day schedule implied by the ride-plan. Some days I can follow it to a "T" and other days it can just be a suggestion. The ride-plan is a guide. Once I'm on the ground in any particular place I'll let the local vibe guide me.

I will be staying in motels and/or camping as the opportunities present themselves. If I stay in a motel with WiFi I will update the ride report and upload any interesting photos. I may Tweet (@aalegado) while I'm stopped at any interesting places.

Double-Secret UPDATE!!!

2014-10-15 @ 09:45...

The ride is...done! I've completed the clock-wise trip around the southwestern states and am back home in Las Vegas. A big Thank you to everyone that offered places to stay and offers of help in case of break-downs. I regret that I couldn't really make this a true cross-country ride but I had my reasons (see below). I still saw and did a lot and I'm thankful to have made it home in one piece. I manage to only lose two bungie cords during the whole trip (how and where I'll never know). I did forget one electrical cord for my laptop's power supply but I remembered it when I got to Williams so the folks at Hampton Inn in Gallup will be forwarding it to my house.

I'm still recovering from the ride but will catch-up on the un-written write-ups and un-posted pictures by the weekend (10/18-19). I'm not sure which is more gross, cleaning out the refrigerator of all the 3-week old food or taking my riding gear to the dry cleaners. Either way, it's got to get done today! Lots to do and I'm lucky (?) I'm unemployed—lots of time to do it!

UPDATE!!!

As of around the start of October, I've decided to change the scope of the ride from an actual cross-country (as in "across the whole country") to cross-country as in "across parts of the country," specifically, the southwestern United States. This will include the following states (in general order of visit): California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, and Arizona.

A few reasons for the change:
  • I've settled into a comfortable ride-start/ride-finish pattern that allows me to travel around 200- to 250 miles per day. This is mostly because I take a long time to get started in the morning because I refuse to "Get with the program" and motivate myself to be up at the crack of dawn lashing dry-bags to my scooter.
  • The guy who came up with the 300mi+ days was fooling himself because he hadn't been on a long ride in more than two years and forgot what the realities of life on the road were like. He knows better now.
  • Not a reason per se but I've sent all my tent-related items home since I will no longer be camping. If it takes me a long time to get loaded-up to go in the morning imagine how long it will take me if I'm breaking down and packing a tent too.
  • I can make it to Maine but I will expend my budgeted money and time to do it. I have the money and time to get home again but I did not intend to spend this money on the ride. You all know what happened to the last guy that went hunting for a white whale. By reducing the scope of the ride, I can still see a lot but stay more-or-less within the confines of my budget.
  • Based on just my experience coming up the California coast there is a shit-ton to see close to home. I don't need to cross the entire country to see a lot of stuff.

To this end I've filed the appropriate paperwork with ADV RATS (Route Alteration Tracking Service) to change my ride plan all official-like.

The new ride-plan.

================================================== ==============================

You can still stalk me by satellite: http://bit.ly/SPOT_Tracks

================================================== ==============================

'da Scooter:

Photo Galleries - This list will be updated as the ride progresses and I post new daily write-ups and photo galleries.

Day 1: Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 - Finally on the Road! and OK, I Had Something to Eat...

Link to iPhone Photo Gallery | Link to Canon Photo Gallery

Day 2: Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 - Dashed Hopes and Oh, What the Hell.

Day 3: Thursday, September 25th, 2014 - Pacific Coast Highway...Actually, It's the Cabrillo Highway

Day 4: Friday, September 26th, 2014 - Making Even Less Progress Than Yesterday. WTF?

Day 5: Saturday, September 27th, 2014 - Bay Area Tour

Day 6: Sunday, September 28th, 2014 - Cold Ride Up to Truckee

Day 7: Monday, September 29th, 2014 - Donner Pass Road and Back to Flat-Land

Day 8: Tuesday, September 30th, 2014 - Reno to Winnemucca

Day 9: Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 - Winnemucca to Wendover. Both of Them.

Link to Canon Photo Gallery

Day 10: Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 - The Wet Dry Lake and Deeper into the Utah Bush

Day 11: Friday, October 3rd, 2014 - Dinos, A Wooly, and Red Rocks

Day 12: Saturday, October 4th, 2014 - WTF? Why is There Red Dust in Everything?

Day 13: Sunday, October 5th, 2014 - Arches, Arches, Everywhere!

Day 14: Monday, October 6th, 2014 - Moab to Gunnison

Day 15: Tuesday, October 7th, 2014 - Gunnison to Cascade

Day 16: Wednesday, October 8th, 2014 - Pike’s Peak!

Day 17: Thursday, October 9th, 2014 - Trinidad to Santa Fe

Day 18: Friday, October 10th, 2014 - Santa Fe to, uh, Santa Fe

Photo galleries TBD.

Day 19: Saturday, October 11th, 2014 - Santa Fe to Gallup

Day 20: Sunday, October 12th, 2014 - Windy on the Way to Williams

Day 21: Monday, October 13th, 2014 - The Grand Canyon

Day 22: Tuesday, October 14th., 2014 - Hoovah Dam and, Yup, I'm Home

Videos - Here's a link to the playlist on my YouTube channel of all the videos I took during the ride.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...LrBSST4reR5nP_

aalegado screwed with this post Today at 11:55 AM
aalegado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,194
good luck.

you know it gets cold in Maine in the fall....

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
vtcyclist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Good Luck, have fun. Don't make any big decisions. And don't get in a hurry. Riding a scooter is doable if you think of it like riding an easy bicycle across the US.
vtcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
Connito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Sounds good! Subscribed!

Neil Peart
Connito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,368
Subscribed. Good luck!!

Tahoe

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
otoko
Tustom User Citle

Oddometer: 66
The best of luck on your journey.
otoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
TurboTagTeam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Subscribed...this sounds fun
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Good luck, ride safe and the most importance advice is Have fun
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
roborider
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 228
A free night's stay....

If you're coming through Southwest Virginia along your route (and I would highly recommend it), you're welcome to a spare room and breakfast in Galax VA (only a few miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway)!

I suspect you'll be further north as you head towards York, but perhaps on your way back, or if your plans change...

All the best, and good luck on your adventure!
Rob

PS. Perhaps some other inmates will chip in and allow you a spare room, a couch or a backyard for free camping along the way! :-)
Old 09-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
aalegado OP
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
good luck.

you know it gets cold in Maine in the fall....
I'm hoping I've packed the appropriate additional layers. I'll find out or I'll be shopping locally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborider View Post
If you're coming through Southwest Virginia along your route (and I would highly recommend it), you're welcome to a spare room and breakfast in Galax VA (only a few miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway)!

I suspect you'll be further north as you head towards York, but perhaps on your way back, or if your plans change...

All the best, and good luck on your adventure!
Rob

PS. Perhaps some other inmates will chip in and allow you a spare room, a couch or a backyard for free camping along the way! :-)
I think my return route is a bit south of you but I appreciate the offer!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
Vitor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
keep the rubber down and enjoy it
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #12
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalegado View Post
That is an ambitious amount of miles to cover per day.

I used to spend the summers in York. My college girlfriend and her family have a house on Juniper Rd. off of Long Sands Beach...

I'm in Concord, CA. I know you are heading to Fairfield that day, but PM me or email me with some notice and with your ETA in the Bay Area. I might be able to offer up a spot if it is the right day...

Tahoe

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Old 09-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 568
Dress warm, is already cold here in the NE! If you end up near Pittsburgh and get into a jam, LMK.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
That is an ambitious amount of miles to cover per day.
+1...have a good ride, but, hoping for an average speed of 60mph is a little...ahem,unrealistic

...you might want to double check your numbers/ distances and look at a 35-40mph moving average is going to be closer to the mark so you don't get caught out being further north later than expected, now you have open ended travel time, and likewise i lived in the Portland Maine area and from experience it gets dam cold there very soon for riding a bike

rtwpaul screwed with this post 09-22-2014 at 05:17 PM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote