Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
JamesL OP
- - -

Oddometer: 19
Estonia, Russia, Georgia, Armenia 2014

…just a few pictures and comments.
…and my english is poor :)

…so…one day I packed my staff and I wanted to travel around the mountains of the neighboring countryside. I thought, yes, the Urals were to go...but
it was raining and there was also cold...I decided it would still turn to the south, i hope that there is warmer, and even a mountain still remains one day in advance.

I bought pies on the shop…they are delicious. Pechory, Russia.

it was still raining…

Morning was sunny. All sorts of different monuments are there. Here one of them …

Fuming "thingy" …

Before Orjol, I drove along the narrow asphalt roads, gravel roads, and then to change at all on to field track…

There was quite a lot of stray dogs in the herd...
But what needs to go broke, it also breaks down. I knew before going to hit the road, that
throttle cable will someday run out...and she got. I have a temporary repair kit with, and a small follow-up - machine got moving again.

Kursk - about 40km.

In Kursk, I was looking the bike shop, where one could find the same boldness of the new (bike...
brake) cable/wire. But I found one motorcycle shop, which was sold some motorcycles and their parts.
They also had a same throttle cable for sale, which fit for me, but a little short.
But these workshops, which was located blocks away, I got help. There
I get even a new cable…they made it for "something" that I do not know :)

New throttle cable, smiling face, I drove further south.

Today there was kilometers ca 350, because i look around in the Kursk, and throttle cable taking a while time…
I found a good place for camping. I'll have a tent…but the tent aluminum poles was missing. Heh, I forgot they
on the previous campsite:). Well, I did not want me to ride in the dark, and then pulled the rain clothes on, and
just slept on the farm edge, on the grass. However, soon i took waterproof gear off, as there is a warm weather.
Fortunately, there was no
mosquitoes till the morning ... I slept peacefully ...

Around 6am I started to run back-ahead, to find the tent poles. I think the various
options - buy a new tent, where the poles are gone and send existing tent the Estonian side …

But fortunately, there was no one want my stuff and poles went exactly as I left they there :)
I turned around again and drove forward…

If you're in a big country, you should still take the proper ice cream.

There is a large expanse. See tens of kilometers. Mostly over crop fields.

In the meantime, I got stuck in to traffic jam, but it was military column, carring tanks and other military
equipment on the western side of the country…

Morning view from campsite. I love this view…

…and of course swimming stops. The water is mostly warm in the rivers.

I't seems quite a fresh asphalt...

South Russia

Here is the example, what happens when raining...

Morning again

…where is our electricity :)

Eastward in a gas station talking with cops. Typical questions around moto - the final speed, how big the tank
and the engine…and how we are living…nothing more ...
I rode on minor roads, direction to Vladikavkaz. Until one roadside police
checkpoint, they was stopped me. Uniformed personnel (2) looked like in the movies criminals
and one of them told me that: "Well, welcome, here you are charged for driving forward. This means that if
you want to go out from here, you have to pay us." First - phone on the table, it is not to record, then the camera,
documents. They stated further that: "All your documents are ok, for we do not get a fine, but if you do not pay,
we will do so, that we stopped you, and you do not want to show your documents, and you hit me on foot a couple
of times, and then we look, what we do…it's your choice."
But never mind... First they asked 5,000 rubles. Trading volume
was small and they do not want to be traded at all. They said only that "hurry up, we have a work to do and we don't
have any special time, to argue with you about nothing ... "In general, the situation changed almost the
"Stupid" ... and I finally got the 4000 RUB (this time exchange rate - about 90 EUR) of his back pocket and got my stuff back.
And immediately after that, they had been "friends". Not recommended me the way, where I wanted to go from there.
Indeed, this is a dangerous area of ​​Chechnya where I would be pretty bare done...maybe... (though i saw before, not far
of there, couple of the war helicopters circled above, but do not think about it ...), and both claimed and recommended me,
to go the other way, which is safer, but come Vladikavkaz'i firmly in one piece. I went to almost suggested in their way along,
but still I came anyway to the next checkpoint. It was a bit bigger and more people. And now i thinking that I pay a lot of here...
But the checkpoint commander was served in the army with estonians and studied with
way we are living, etc. They give me an additional 3 canned meat and white bread, and, they have just given a good fresh
milk, but just in case I did not want it:)
I think, i was buying like "insurance" before…but in fact, the money was received in the previous two gangster-cop…and
the "insurance" was a sensation, because as from here to Vladikavkaz
my journey led Omon (russia Special Forces), a man with his car. He raced in front of me. Roads
were still narrow, and in the meantime were literally holes in the houses. All of the people to go out of this area, only
some elderly people here. Here is a small war yet. Pretty scary, actually. Meanwhile, there were three more
checkpoints, where bored adibas/uniformed military mans playing domino/cards...
Some of them developed in conversation with me "…do you have anything comes of your land, for as, any gift or…a pen,
or your country money. I said that don't have a pen, and we have the euros, on our country. They say: "Well, then give me 10 euros! :)))
…i show to my "insurance" OMON, that we need to go right now.
If I would gone down this road alone, then it would be pretty interesting for bored uncles on the checkpoints. There is no other traffic.
OMON man tell me after, that he did some excursion along minor roads, Chechnya, North Ossetia,
Ingushetia periphery. After talking for a long time, he did not recommended drive myself alone here, because here is a possibility
to "disappear" and not safe.
Here is a "safety car" exit. Vladikavkaz just around the corner. But I am still grateful for this checkpoint
commander, who giving me a "driving insurance" to Vladkikavkaz.
Drive along in the major route should be cheaper…but i like the smaller roads :)

Omon uniform. Last in the image, the car are also, custom, with black tinted windows,
even the windshield is tinted black. At night they sounded pretty interesting ride...

Velcome to Vladikavkaz. War City, and as the call itself...

But a little distance from there - and we have come to Georgia. Crossing the border was easy for both sides.

to be continued...

JamesL screwed with this post 01-28-2015 at 04:02 AM
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,168
Thumb

Subscribed.

Very interesting report. Good pictures. Thrown right into adventure.

Tell us a bit about your bike. I think I like it.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:42 AM   #3
empty tank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
What a photo to end first part where does that road go you got me intrested now!!!
empty tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:39 AM   #4
JamesL OP
- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Subscribed.

Very interesting report. Good pictures. Thrown right into adventure.

Tell us a bit about your bike. I think I like it.

It's a BMW G650 Xchallenge :)
Old 01-27-2015, 02:44 AM   #5
JamesL OP
- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty tank View Post
What a photo to end first part where does that road go you got me intrested now!!!
it's close to the Russian-Georgian border, Georgian side...:)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:13 AM   #6
ivek mali
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
it's close to the Russian-Georgian border, Georgian side...:)
nice report

Where did you get past the border of Russia and Georgia .. What is name of the place where you gone through Georgia....
ivek mali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 AM   #7
JamesL OP
- - -

Georgian first views…

Cows are everywhere. Georgia

Roadside "tourist trap". I do not know what it was…

…but view is great

to be continued...
Old 01-27-2015, 04:51 AM   #8
JamesL OP
- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivek mali View Post
nice report

Where did you get past the border of Russia and Georgia .. What is name of the place where you gone through Georgia....

The only legal checkpoint on the Russian side is a Verkhniy Lars.
And a Georgian side, is north of Stepantsminda on the Georgian Military Highway, which is called Kazbegi.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:56 AM   #9
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
Nickhob
Armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
WesleyDRZ400
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post

Roadside "tourist trap". I do not know what it was…

…but view is great
It is a USSR monument built in 1983 to commemorate 200 years of friendship between Georgia & Russia.............. I agree amazing views.

Nice set up on your bike, is the right hand side rear tank plumed into the fuel system?
WesleyDRZ400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:00 AM   #12
JamesL OP
- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
It is a USSR monument built in 1983 to commemorate 200 years of friendship between Georgia & Russia.............. I agree amazing views.

Nice set up on your bike, is the right hand side rear tank plumed into the fuel system?
Thanks for info:)

..no, the rear additional tank is not plumed. I install it on very simple/easy/temporarly way :) …only for this trip

And when i run out the gas, i take a small hose, and fill up the main tank with this…(used only once)
Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #13
mait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313

come on my friend, how long we have to wait for the update?
mait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
nichloasjerry1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Subed and I think it is gonna be a great reading also
Old Today, 07:03 AM   #15
empty tank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
went needed more pics&reports
empty tank is offline   Reply With Quote