Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #1786
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam(st)er View Post
Prutser and me were using rim locks.
On the picture above I didn't have a flat tyre.
We were trying to move the tyre back into place because my rim lock wasn't tight enough.
We are both using Motion Pro Liteloc.
Prutser's bike could use a stronger one for the rear, he's thinking about trying one from Talon.
I believe teebee was using a rim lock on the front as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Walter never uses rim locks on the X. And his bike is ok.
But on my bike the tire seem to move on the rim pretty easy.
Its a lot less with 1.8 bar in the back. But I like to run them with 1.6 or 1.4 Bar

Personally I don't really care about the balancing when i'm riding most of the km's in the dirt.
Rim lock's can be real annoying with a tire change. But I have had enough chances to practice

The tires that Beamster and me were using had a more MX like patern.
That might have been the big difference.
If I use a K60 or a mefo super explorer i don't need the rim lock's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
Sorry i,m a bit late.. i was using a secondhand ktm 525 front wheel, which came with a rim lock.I wouldn,t use one on overland trips,.. unless i was using a powerful bike like Prudsters ,with a rather aggressive back tyre.....
thanks a lot for your replies!!
as i'm thinking of going on LC4 640 Adventure and using Pirelli Rally Scorpion or Michelin Desert, these tires seem to be very tough and hard to puncture, I think I will put rim locks for safe going on pressure 1,5-1,7 bar

this RR is awesome, checking it everyday multiple times!!
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #1787
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Hi Andy,the mitas e09s turned out to be a good choice,i could have got away with one less tyre change quite easily, although the front tyre seems to wear faster than the back,the only problem i found was in really muddy conditions...., but its always a compromise with tyres.
I would say 6000mls. on a set is about right.

If i was to do this trip again i would use the same back tyre with a more aggressive front tyre, with a slightly higher mudguard.
Hope this confuses you as much as it did me, theres just too much choice out there......

Hope you have a great trip.

Terry
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #1788
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Come to think of it, I believe Adventure-Spec have started stocking Dirt Tricks stuff in Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
http://www.motolaguna.pl/

Thanks for taking me a long this heavenly nice RR. I´m all over this thread everyday.

Question: Anyone thought of the tireball solution?

Skål(cheers) from Denmark(a bit northeast from the Dutch gardens).
thanks for the tip!
first I will contact to ask if it will fit my bike for sure, if yes these will my next sprockets for sure
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #1789
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
It looks very much like you are travelling though central British Columbia in these last sections.
Having riding through both the Altai and BC this year, the landscape is very similar. I think BC is a little prettier, but it would only be marginal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #1790
Northstar Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Simply outstanding -

First of all let me say that the prose and the pictures vie for First Place awards in the RR category. I also like the technical details about Rod's problems with the KTM - this could happen to any fuel injected machine so valuable lessons absorbed.

I'm subscribed and a devoted fan.
Northstar Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #1791
elias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
You guys are killing me. This is one of the best RR, and i think we havent seen the best of it yet. Reading it makes me want to ride as far as i can, the problem is i recently sold my 950 to pay my taxes here in Greece, so it feels like
elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #1792
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Day52-part 2

Beamster,Tee Bee and me decided to explore a bit more of the Altai near Aktash.
After checking the map and the GPS we wanted to try a track that started a few km's further down the M52.

Because it was Beamster's birthday that day Terry and me gave her a mountain full of flowers

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #1793
philsb
Gentleman of Leisure

Oddometer: 36
Old age hasn't many benefits

Earlier in the RR the age of riders and the suitability to tackle an adventure like this report was mentioned. Until last Christmas at age 65 I was as fit as a lop (flea) ie very healthy, since then I have been diagnosed with irregular heart beat and recently that my kidneys are deteriorating. These aren't serious, I'm the fittest poorly guy you will meet but mean I have to take medication (warfaring,betablockers, statins, ramipril) which would make a long distance ride somewhat more complicated.
As my family situation prevents me from tackling a long distance venture it isn't a problem for me, unfortunately. I only mention this situation to raise the thought that if you want to do adventure like this do it soon while you have the health and fitness to tackle it.
Thanks for a great report!

Phil - in a cold, wet and flooded UK
philsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #1794
Beam(st)er
Miss Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Day 52 - Part 3

As we carried on the track was getting steeper and steeper.
Because it was so steep and the the track was covered with big loose rocks Prutser decided to change my front sprocket for a smaller one.

Beam(st)er screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 01:44 AM
Beam(st)er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #1795
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Day 52-Part 4

After some km's of climbing the track was getting harder to see.

All around us the floor was full of tree trunks because of forest fires. And even the GPS could't find a track anymore

So we decided to just drive through the forest until we found some other tracks to follow.

After this ride that was full of beautiful views and some nice technical riding we went back to the hotel in Aktash to hear if there was any news from Rod.

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 01:12 PM
Old 12-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #1796
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,510
^^^ do the airhead cylinders snag obstacles much? as in the deep ruts above?

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #1797
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
^^^ do the airhead cylinders snag obstacles much? as in the deep ruts above?
The bike is high enough to keep going through pretty deep ruts. The footpegs are the first things that get stuck. And mine are on the same hight as the X bikes.

As long as there is no deep water involved the boxer is not the first bike to run into trouble

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 12-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #1798
Franck B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Direct from the US of A
And I wasnt using any rim locks ... I think some of the others were ?? Prutser?
Walter was running 1,7 bar or so. At such pressure, no need for rim locks.
Grip offroad is also like on eggs and suspension work affected by the bouncing, but barely a risk for pinch flat or rim damage.
In run down to 0,7Bar in soft ground/mud, 1.1 in rocks, with my lighter EXC, all on the opposite lower edge.
Franck B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #1799
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Ya kiddin´ right? Changing a sprocket on track, just like it's a lightbulb? Odd....
Otherwise great RR and beautiful pics. Y'all look like a group of military motorcycle scouts, with your dark suits and muddy bikes, remind me of piccies of G.I.'s on WLA's Liberators...

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #1800
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Outstanding RR Outstanding Pictures

I can't say how much I've enjoyed reading this -----These guys and girl are real Adventure Riders and I've learned a lot from them about a whole bunch of things. I have a couple comments:

I've found a way to run the lite locks with minimum mounting problems. I run two of them at 180 degrees but don't put them in until your have the tire fully mounted on the rim ---just spoon the tire back on the bottom side of the rim in the area where the rim lock is to be placed. Let the spoon lay on the ground under the rim and the pressure will hold it in place. Then, on the top of the tire you will want to use two spoons about 8 inches apart---and spoon the tire over the rim in those eight inches. Then insert a small block of wood----something like a short piece of 2X4 between the tire and the rim as you pull that 8 inch piece of tire outward---twist the block to gain the 3.& 1/2 inch space across the wide part of the block -----then move over 8 inches and do the same thing with another block of wood. Now, with the space created between the wood blocks and with the tire pulled back on the bottom side you have plenty of space to reach in there and set your lite lock-----then simply spoon the tire back in place. Same procedure on the second lite lock if you use a second one on the other side of the tire. Obviously this works only if you have taken the tire off the machine. The advantage of two light locks if first---for balance and second you can ride the bike for a short distance to find a place to effect a repair without the tire coming off the rim.

Then, I noticed that Walters mechanic was using what we here in Utah call "An Idaho torque wrench" on that clutch. I think the Idaho guys call it a Utah torque wrench--- ha ha

Rod----Man I am a fan of yours now----humor----that's the key. I know that wasn't what was inside you but that's what was coming out. Your posts added so much to the RR----and I have to admit that I got wet eyes every time mention or pictures of your dog---been there---done that.

Terry----the quiet one? A real man's man. Prutser and Beamster---Good companions and good ADV riders.
Thanks Walter-----You are the man.-- especially -loved those pictures of the lassies---added so much to the report. -
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote