Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #2026
Beam(st)er
Miss Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Not only the rain was the reason we were soaked...

Beam(st)er screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 04:19 AM
Beam(st)er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #2027
trailtosakhalin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
keep on riding

Proud to be sponsor of Polar Ice Ride on Yamaha R1 by Sjaak Luccassen

Member of CMA-NL
trailtosakhalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #2028
Digger Deep
Keep 'er Lit

Oddometer: 203
fantastic report. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us all.
Digger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #2029
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post

We made our way to restaurant oddly called the Irish Bar, which seemed to have nothing of an Irish bar about it.

I must protest...is that not whiskey I see on the shelf behind Rod?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #2030
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Sure and she's Irish, laddie, she's from the east of Ireland....County Olgly! And that is a bottle of Dewars on the shelf behind the big fella. And the bottle next door says "Crown Royal". Whether there's aught or naught in the boxes marked Chivas and Seagrams behind these I know not. 'Tis a heluva RR this one is. Almost lured me off my beloved tarmac, you have. Awaiting your next tempting post!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #2031
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Yup, thanks a bunch for this OUTSTANDING report!!! It's greatly appreciated.

Just saw some diff pix of Mongolia...interesting but not nearly as upbeat as yours

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...as_nomads.html
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #2032
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
Happy New Years to all of you. May the coming year be even better than this one. Thanks so much for the entertainment of following this and other ride reports.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #2033
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I must protest...is that not whiskey I see on the shelf behind Rod?
No, I don't see any Bushmills.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #2034
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 466
Thanks for the fantastic RR. Happy New Year to all and best wishes for great riding adventures in 2013.
CharlestonADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #2035
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Thumb

Happy New Year you wild wanderers! Long may you roam the world's tracks!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #2036
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam(st)er View Post
Sorry Rod, can't keep this for myself...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/70331749/Rod%27s%20dive.m4v

(Rod)I probably won't put this very well but will have a go. IMHO much of one's mindset is weather and location driven. When you wake up on a beautiful morning in total silence apart from the birds, and open the tent flap to a knockout view ....how could you wish to be anywhere else, but when you've taken off soaking gear the night before having pitched in the rain and wind, and wake up in the rain to put on cold soaking boots yet again it'd take a better man than me to paint that smile on and not question my motives and choices.
But then when you find yourself riding towards that big blue patch and feel the first of that glorious warmth on your clothes. Man!...how good is that.
Maybe the contrast is what makes it great too....but all you guys know this. blah blah. I just want to thank you all for the RR. What I am really appreciating is all the little tips and bike info you sprinkle in. Man I have really learned alot. You guys are actually figgin funny too. Thanks Pat O'Brien

O'B screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 10:29 AM
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #2037
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
Phrog, At one time---seems a hundred years ago but was really in the late '60's or early 70's a couple of 'Yanks" went to Australia determined to set the new record for riding the circumference of the your country. At that time there was a long stretch along the northern or north western section which was unpaved and one of our guys hit a kangaroo, crashed and was injured (broken leg or something as I now recall). But they were within sight of the record so the injured man ordered the other to ride on and send back help only after breaking the record. This inspired the remaining rider to ride like hell into the night (sounds like he may have actually had some Aussie in him) to complete the run. All ended well----the record was reported to have been now established at 10 days, 10 hours and 10 minutes. The injured man was rescued and this story was reported in one of our cycle magazines----might have been Cycle World but I don't remember for sure.

I imagine that since that time the road in that section has been paved and the new bikes are better and faster than those rode by our 'hero's". And we know that no self respecting Aussie would allow the record to be held by an outsider----so I'm wondering now if you happen to know what the new record is and who set it?
When I rode the circumference of Australia (missed the record by about 5,5 months) I met someone who said the record was now (in 2005) 7 days. Record held by a Brit, former SAS soldier, who didn't speak much, but had said he wished no one ever tried to beat his record because he had gone far beyond what was sane, let alone safe. The circumference on the A1 (the highway that sort of follows the coast all around Australia) is 17.000km. Also at that time the Northern Territory didn't have speed limits on their highways, which I understand they now have.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #2038
elias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam(st)er View Post
Not only the rain was the reason we were soaked...

With a first view, i thought this rock was a crocodile
elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #2039
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Perils of Mong

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post
With a first view, i thought this rock was a crocodile
I'd forgotten B had this pic too and was going to post it myself. Of course it wasn't a croc...it was the fearsome Mongolian Pirahna shoal which we only managed to put off by sending the smelliest team member in first-It was close call most times who'd be nominated.

The Journey from Tsengel to Olgiy was appalling-it bucketed down with rain constantly and as W said we were all totally drenched. W had a nasty off coming out of a washout and we were all gad to get to Olgiy.
The Mongolian idea of creating an Irish bar is to get any cafe, and put the words "Irish", and ...yes you guessed it " Bar" above the door. No shamrocks, no Paddy music, no Irish beer...just the usual Chingis (Genghis as the West would have it) beer and mildly monotonous mutton menu. Alliteration...don't ya just love it.
It's bizarre but it got us through the door.

When we've said we were drenched, the staff had to repeatedly mop round our chair legs as the pools of water accumulated from our draining gear, and once we'd had something to eat none of us had much appetite for onward travel that day.

W however had fallen victim to a particularly virulent form of the previously mentioned "Beaver Fever" and was driven to push on towards Irkutsk where Erection Airways were waiting to whisk him to Moscow for some horizontal gymnastics. He had the crazed look of the truly horny.
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #2040
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Our plush hotel

Our soon-to-be host came in to the bar looking for suitable prey and found.........us. He had a piece of card with the same message in several languages and it ran something like;
" I have comfortable lodgings for a number of guests with hot shower and good food"....that was all we needed and we took the bait straight away.
The accomodation when we got there was a shared room with a low central table where 4 of us could bed down on the floor-B understandably wasn't too keen but as it was the only game in town we all decided to take what was on offer. It was ridiculously cheap.
We have yet to be shown the "hot shower" and I seriously question its existence, and the lavatory was a low ..i.e waist/breast high rectangle of mud-brickwork in the corner of the yard-with what in Africa is called a "Long Drop".
This a was adjacent to a sometimes busy lane outside the curtailage of the property, but standing having a pee when people are walking past is something I found difficult-not to mention the smell-dear God!. Without going into too much detail, any more serious function was delayed until a more opportune and less ...."social" location.
Not sure if the team have some pics of the yard or the room. Guys?

I found me a pal.

Photobucket

Later in the day as we'd arranged to have a meal provided too the family started work. Here getting milk.
Photobucket

When the meal arrived it was almost inedible gristly mutton -mostly bone with (as I remember but one of the guys will correct me) macaroni or buckwheat, and bread. I can eat most things and wouldn't be put off by bollocks or the like, but this was pretty grim. I think P & B just declined the meat and ate the accompanying bits .

Such is the variance of travel and you just need to notch it down to experience and hope the next meal will be a goodie.
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote