Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #2086
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Pics

Norse to the rescue again.
Thanks matey--its the FW settings here at work and takes an age to load or even change a page outside the intranet . C'est la vie .
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #2087
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
The floating airhead !!

When people say my bike is heavy I can now say its not.......it floats

The moment I drove my bike into the stream the engine took in water trough the air intake.
At the same time the current swept me and my bike down stream. Within a few seconds I was about 5 meters from the point were I entered.
When I surfaced again and tried to get a grip I saw my bike floating towards me. By the time I had my bike up-right again the 3 heroes came to the rescue !!!!!!!

Later that day in Hovd we met some Kazakh guys traveling in big 4X4's that warned us for high water.
They waited for more than 10 hours for the water level to drop. When they did cross, the water still came up to their window.
( they were talking about the same crossing I tried)

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #2088
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
[QUOTE=Prutser;20379805]After a few km's Rod decided to give us another break.

But Tee Bee was questioning if that was really the best place for another picnic..
(Luckily Rod didn't hurt himself or damaged his bike)

Thank god you only crashed. I thought the fuel pump was going again. Yikes!
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #2089
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Rockmuncher;20384458]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
After a few km's Rod decided to give us another break.

But Tee Bee was questioning if that was really the best place for another picnic..

Thank god you only crashed. I thought the fuel pump was going again. Yikes!
No. We'd spent a lot of time soaked and after all the rain much of the road had lots of standing water or was covered with mudslides . I ducked off the road to ride at the side and go round a particularly gloopy bit, but tried to rejoin the road a) a few yards too soon b) at an oblique angle so as I crossed a little hump of mud the front end just washed out and I ended up chewing the gravel. Bizarrely it was the hardest fall of the entire trip and I bent my brake pedal badly. The standard 690 brake pedals are made of plasticine -another example of the accountants influence. The pedal on my old 625 is billet and after maybe 100 offs (told you I was shite!) is still straight and as good as new.
The rear brake never worked properly again despite P easing it straight-ish whilst I hopped around rubbing a battered shin and feeling sorry for myself.
I've now fitted a billet number from RallyRaid.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #2090
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Fuel pump

The pump hasn't given any trouble whatsoever sinceIi replaced it with the later version although I have bought the Cycleparts variant and will carry it with me whenever I go away. No idea of course how good the pump is, but the service is 100% as the pump arrived at my home in in the UK 2 days after I ordered it from the States. If anyone wants to be kept abreast of how it might perform (should I need it) please just PM me.

I got a mail from Walter's 2010 Sibirski companion Sherri-Jo Wilkins just before Christmas, whose 2010 690 has just dumped its pump in Ushuia.
In fairness its done as I remember 130,000 Kms, which gives me some confidence that the bikes can take the mileage- so it shoudn't be judged too harshly. Not sure if she got going again but maybe she'll chime in.
Go Sherri-Jo!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #2091
TBut
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just by watching your amazing pics I tripped with you=...pity it was only for minutes!
GReat footage and thank you!
TBut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #2092
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post

I had to look at that pic for a bit. I thought there was some Photochop trickery going on until I realized the boys just like to dress the same.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #2093
RTWdreamer
Gnarly Lurker

Oddometer: 3
Are they brothers seperated at birth? You be the judge.

The picture makes me think they are doing accident reconstruction. New safety protocols mandated - oh wait this is Mongolia!!

And I can't thank all of you enough for taking us along.
RTWdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #2094
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
The pump hasn't given any trouble whatsoever sinceIi replaced it with the later version although I have bought the Cycleparts variant and will carry it with me whenever I go away. No idea of course how good the pump is, but the service is 100% as the pump arrived at my home in in the UK 2 days after I ordered it from the States. If anyone wants to be kept abreast of how it might perform (should I need it) please just PM me.

I got a mail from Walter's 2010 Sibirski companion Sherri-Jo Wilkins just before Christmas, whose 2010 690 has just dumped its pump in Ushuia.
In fairness its done as I remember 130,000 Kms, which gives me some confidence that the bikes can take the mileage- so it shoudn't be judged too harshly. Not sure if she got going again but maybe she'll chime in.
Go Sherri-Jo!
I had Hip-Replacement Surgery last May so leading up to and after the bike(2009 Xcountry) sat for quite a while on a tender I thought the fuel would be okay for the time. Went to start it nothing BOOM" main fuse blown WTF! Well I tried everything fuses checked battery the spark looked good, the motor sequensed properly. Had to take it to the dealer. They informed me it was the fuel pump gumbed up from the fuel and that they put a direct charge on it to free it up.Fricken ethonal crap. They said to keep an eye on it but you will probably need a new pump in the future. So I am in the same boat having to carry a fuel pump. Great RR keep it up.
O'B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #2095
Buuurrrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
You guys are True Pros.

I have been following your report for some time and now that you are in Mongolia I thought I would post to say how much fun we had while exploring that beautiful country in Sept 2012. 3 of us on purchased "Shinray 150 Mustangs" 3 weeks of riding, the scenery, people, birds etc. I just can't say enough about how wonderful Mongolia is.

From Mongolia 2012

Do they drink vodka in Mongolia? Yes they do!!

Hovsgol Lake

The Mighty Shinray Mustang 150

I don't mean to hijack your wonderful thread but if anyone is interested in seeing a report on our trip.

Please click here. I would love to hear what you think.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818258
Buuurrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #2096
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Der Bruvvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
I had to look at that pic for a bit. I thought there was some Photochop trickery going on until I realized the boys just like to dress the same.
Terry's the older "Brother" by about 7 weeks, he's also the richer, brainier, hairier and better looking. And he can drink more vodka. Life just deals yer a shit hand sometimes.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #2097
kahlgryndiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buuurrrt View Post
This is one of my favourite ride reports!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #2098
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have been following your report for some time and now that you are in Mongolia I thought I would post to say how much fun we had while exploring that beautiful country in Sept 2012. 3 of us on purchased "Shinray 150 Mustangs" 3 weeks of riding, the scenery, people, birds etc. I just can't say enough about how wonderful Mongolia is.
HI Burrrt.
Looks like you got the sunshine we'd 've sold Terry into slavery for. Well?.... you have to use up the old ones first.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #2099
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
I don't mean to hijack your wonderful thread but if anyone is interested in seeing a report on our trip.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818258
Hi Buuurrrt,

I did read your RR from the start and I really liked it.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #2100
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Terry's the older "Brother" by about 7 weeks, he's also the richer, brainier, hairier and better looking. And he can drink more vodka. Life just deals yer a shit hand sometimes.
Rods lying, i,m neither wealthier ,inteligent ,haireir and definitely not better looking than handsome Rodny....... but i don,t mind a drop of vodka.........
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote