Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #2941
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
There are no crash bars because on a narrow bike crash bars dont actually protect anything.

In the main, crash bars dont add any value .... but they do add weight and they do cost money.

On a lighter narrower bike they are never necessary. The handlebars and luggage keep the engine miles away from contacting anything. If you have a fat bike you might guard against cosmetic damage.

But on balance - I vote no to crashbars.

You need good handlebar protectors, and you need a good bashplate (again, go back to look at Dakar bikes ... thats what they use) ... the rest is usually just bling - with a few exceptions. On my XC I have also added protectors under the footpegs, but thats because on this particular bike, the back brake mechanism and side stand attachment can and do get hit. But thats purely bike specific.
Aehm, Walter, maybe that is a truth with modifications, on your bike they might not add value, but on some they do.

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #2942
EtronX
:-)

Oddometer: 213
Going to Olkhon

It was a nice morning when we finally went to sleep. The Russian party crew did their best all night. I don't know what was worse the screaming and crying or the Russian 80's disco. I think they had what the commercials, for those who remember, called "component car stereo" It was loud.

When we finally went to sleep it was time to get up again The ride to day was not of the longest, but we did have some items on the "to do" list before we set course. Steve needed some new tires and I said I could go with him to the store. It was beside the shop that we were at yesterday where Walter and I got our bikes straightened out.

For some reason Walters battery was flat that morning. He flies a light hitec LiPo battery. Need a special charger for that in order to balance the cells. But the Sibersky Extrem has been on the road before Here is how to jump start your bike.

Trans Sibir eXpedition 2012 jump start from EtronX on Vimeo.

Walter also did some preventive maintenance on the lights. Looked like one of the ballast's had died.

Usually when Murphy is around he visits three times. First was Walters flat battery and lights. Second was Terry's engine casing leaking oil. Third was my clutch cable.

We came about one kilometer before my clutch cable broke. "Fhat the wuck". It was brand new before I left Norway. Special made in the UK to my specifications. Longer than usual because of my Rox Risers. And now it broke This severely pissed me off.

Both Walter and Terry carry spare clutch wires. It is laid parallel to the original one. This is wise to to. I thought of it before I left home, but since I had a brand new one I didn't do it

When I think back on this trip and riding with Walter and Terry there are two things that stand out with those guys:
  1. They don't get stressed when things brake down. It is just a fact and then they fix it. It might take a day or five. No worries.
  2. They share what they have. It be clutch cables or brake pads. If they have one extra and you need one they will give it to you. It is not "mine" but "ours". I salute that

With regards to Terry; give the man some wire, a plier and some liquid metal and there is almost nothing he couldn't fix

Well, due to all the unforeseen circumstances that morning plans changed. Erik and Steve took of into Irkutsk. Walter, Terry and I got our bikes going and set course for Irkutsk. The plan was to meet the other guys for lunch.

EtronX screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 03:28 PM
EtronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #2943
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
But on balance - I vote no to crashbars.

You need good handlebar protectors, and you need a good bashplate (again, go back to look at Dakar bikes ... thats what they use) ... the rest is usually just bling - with a few exceptions. On my XC I have also added protectors under the footpegs, but thats because on this particular bike, the back brake mechanism and side stand attachment can and do get hit. But thats purely bike specific.
Good comments of crash bars. The only slight caveat I can come with is ... Radiators. On my former V-Strom I ran crash bars for a while (GIVI ones that cracked!). The only reason I ran them was to protect the radiators. Never found out if they worked or not, after they cracked I removed them. Junk. But what about this?

I'm pretty sure I saw some sort of radiator guard on Terry's and your X Chal's. ??? I crashed my race bikes (AMA Enduro series) dozens of times ... never punched a radiator. But on your sort of trip ... seems you'd want to protect them in some way.

Comments?

(Radiators!!!! Another reason I love my DR650! it doesn't leak oil or have electrical problems either!!! ... but it's not gone swimming like your bikes have!! )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #2944
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,296
I have another question about crash bars - particularly on the 950/990 KTMs.

I was under the impression that those bars were to protect the fuel tanks (and by default, the radiator), not the engine.

Are they not needed for that purpose?

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #2945
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Thanks Geir,

Now I feel a lot better about your idea to kick me out of the heli as a test dummy.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #2946
EtronX

Bar crashing and other hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
I have another question about crash bars

Many many moons ago we used to crash bars But now as being responsible adults we had to stop.

And NO, they are not needed for that purpose. Now we just go to have a drink
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #2947
EtronX

Test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Thanks Geir,

Now I feel a lot better about your idea to kick me out of the heli as a test dummy.
Any time my friend It is not so bad. This is what it looks like from the other end.

31 Rescue hoisting in the Barents sea from EtronX on Vimeo.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #2948
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Here is how to jump start your bike.
I get a black-out in this vid the moment the spanner's on the terminal, is this really the way to jumpstart the XC?

Xtankteam™

Proud sponsor of the Sibirsky Extreme Project
Erik RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #2949
EtronX

Short circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik RS View Post
I get a black-out in this vid the moment the spanner's on the terminal, is this really the way to jumpstart the XC?
You should have seen Terry...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #2950
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer: 441

Xtankteam™

Proud sponsor of the Sibirsky Extreme Project
Erik RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #2951
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Awesome report, I'm looking forward to the BAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
I have another question about crash bars - particularly on the 950/990 KTMs.

I was under the impression that those bars were to protect the fuel tanks (and by default, the radiator), not the engine.

Take a look at the replacement cost for one of the (2) 990 tanks - $1,500 US....is there any question why most of us who ride off road use crash bars? Sorry but that's just protecting a significant investment.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #2952
steingar
higher life form

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Have you ever seen a Dakar bike with crash bars??
I might tremulously add that racers often leave things off bikes because they add extra weight, and racers need to go fast above all things. Thus I consider the reasoning perhaps a bit suspect on this point. Moreover, lots of racers never finish a race, so to say that the bits they leave off are utterly inessential is again sometimes an overstatement.

All that said, I honestly don't know beans about it and would not contest anyone's conclusion on the matter, just pointing out a potential error in reasoning. Don't even like doing that, since this is a truly inspiring report of an epic adventure. Ride on.
steingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #2953
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I never realised how gay I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Sorry for being so quiet for a few days. Sometimes a man has to work. I work in northern Norway and the weather has been pretty shait the last week. Here is a little link of what we do up north.
It's true...I'm a poof. This is my day job. What a jessie.

ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #2954
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post

I knew it I want a tour next time I'm in London
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #2955
EtronX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post