Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #4126
maico
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
Fabulous, and highly typical - apart for the rough justice meted out to the Lada trying to get ahead on the soft shoulder. Usually people placidly accept this as part of the bullying chain.

This series of clips, plus many others showing horrific crashes, are a direct result of the widespread use of DashCams here as a defence/protection for insurance claims and the less worthy ДПС 'cuntstabules'.
Oh - and also for all the meteorite shots that amazed the World last week.
I've seen the full clip of that Lada driver, he was a stand over merchant. A truck driver was fixing a flat and he tried to extort money with threats, the truckie called up other truckies on the CB, they boxed him in and dealt him and his mate a bit of summary justice.
maico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #4127
Gripforce
Ski Bum

Oddometer: 49
Some really awesome photos Steve. Thanks!!!
Gripforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #4128
Ni3ous
Double Axle Rider

Oddometer: 213
fishes

Geir, Erik, Steve are there any fishes in those rivers in Siberia?
Would be great if so. Great food on the road and lighter bike, since you could make dinner fout of river, on the fire, at the evening when camping.
Great photos and lots of hard work on The old summer road.
Congratulations!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #4129
trailtosakhalin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Great to see that the old summer road has succeeded.

So it proofs again that you have to try your dreams ...........

Great pics

Proud to be sponsor of Polar Ice Ride on Yamaha R1 by Sjaak Luccassen

Member of CMA-NL
trailtosakhalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #4130
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3ous View Post
Geir, Erik, Steve are there any fishes in those rivers in Siberia?
Would be great if so. Great food on the road and lighter bike, since you could make dinner fout of river, on the fire, at the evening when camping.
Great photos and lots of hard work on The old summer road.
Congratulations!
I'm curious about this too...
But.. if they don't know.. I'll find out this summer. I have my 7 piece 5 wt. fly rod with me that should see a lot of action.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #4131
K88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsteel53 View Post
the crazy part about that clip - and also several others in the series - is that they looked intentional.
Intentional? Check this guy out. Hope he doesn't pick on bikes.

">
K88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #4132
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Ghost town.

What's the name of that ghost town? Any ideas why it was abandoned?
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #4133
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
[QUOTE

Pretty deep puddle in the road

/QUOTE]

Now THAT is a puddle...I suggest you wouldn't want it much deeper...
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #4134
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
What's the name of that ghost town? Any ideas why it was abandoned?
It's Kadykchan. Look on Wiki and it'll give you a full explanation, but in essence it was a town supported by and in support of a large coal mine.

The mine had an incident of some sort and the decision was made that it was no longer realistic to continue mining operations, so the mine was closed.
In common with many Russian towns heating for the apartment blocks is provided centrally, and a decision was taken that if the mine couldn't be operated, there was no driver to maintain the town's existence, so at short notice the heating was turned off and EVERYONE had to leave. It was the middle of winter and I don't think there would be any realistic proposition of someone in an apartment either being able to survive, or wanting to stay. The town emptied pretty much overnight and that's reflected in the relics that litter the place....half repaired cars, photos and furniture still in the apartments.
This all happened very quickly and in the surprisingly recent past-I think in the mid-90s. It's mentioned in a number of threads...RTWDoug's "Can a Harley make it to Magadan?" and Walters earlier offerings.
Walter will correct me I'm sure if I've got any part of this wrong.
Look on Wiki.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #4135
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
The juxtaposition of this shot, Rod (you basking in the sun w/jesus shoes, your socks warming on the bench) next to Steve's chronicling of their white, wilted, worn-out, wet, wintry feets.......

[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Elron, you're exactly right.

I am indeed a pussy-the real men were doing battle with the OSR and the pics reflect that.
My tale is about the easy riding and evenings. The guys had no evenings-they were probably too stuffed to do anything other than eat something and try to get their feet warm.
I'll wick it up a little and close this element before Geir jumps back in-his pics will be just as good as Steves and with the vids they're going to post it's going to be a great end to the thread.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #4136
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 75

Looking at the OSR pics above I'm embarrassed to say that I got up to a glorious warm morning-see below and was gone before 7.a.m.

I wasn't out of the village before I saw this structure/sign. Can someone tell me what it says?-there's usually a notification as one goes from one region to the next and I was just entering Tatarstan...but that's not what it says.

Although this does!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #4137
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Later

I was now just a few hours from Moscow and the traffic type and density started to reflect the change.
During the morning I approached a long line of stationary vehicles on gradual incline. I scooted along and past to get right to the front-try that in a car and you'll get lynched but in Europe, Russia and the UK it's accepted that bikes will filter past. In France they'll actually move over for you, but this is a reflection that kids there all have scooters from age 14 so everyone is pretty moto-friendy. It went on for a couple of miles but once there I saw that we were about to cross a huge river-each direction getting a turn as the enormous bridge across it was under repair.
The lights changed and it was our turn to move. As I was at the front I scooted away quickly. In Britain we have a couple of what we think are our big national rivers...the Trent, the Ouse, the Clyde, The Thames etc. In comparison, they're ditches with a little water in the bottom..
This was the Volga, it seemed to be about a mile wide at this point and ran from horizon to horizon arrow straight, I was staggered by the scale of the thing but couldn't stop on the bridge to get a photo.
I did however manage to snap this pic of "our" bank and a couple of the islands just before we got to move. I didn't realise what I was just about to see so apologies for the lack of any idea of scale.

As I came flying down off the ramp there was a Traffic Police checkpoint with half a dozen powleece loafing around waiting for the traffic to come off the bridge. ........The cop held up his baton to stop me...fuck!..I've come 5000 miles without a "pull"...lets take the temperature and see if I'm in trouble. As ever I took my crash hat off, shook his hand and smiled. A friendly smile kicks open a million doors....even one like mine.
I couldn't have been more wrong, the young cop wanted to know where I'd been, where I was going and was just interested in the bike and the journey.

He called his colleagues over. One of them pointed to my water tube and asked what was in the bladder...I replied "Piva" (beer) and they all fell about. Truthfully they couldn't have been more friendly. Phew...they waved me off

I've said before about being too cool for school if you're on a bike and this was again evidenced during the day with a young Russian and his girl pulling alongside me, tooting and giving me the thumbs up and on one occasion a carful of girls waving and laughing alongside. Lucky they couldn't see the bald old git in the helmet.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #4138
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
ROD CURRIE, that's татарстан alright, just in handwritten letters...

So, will we see Kazan through your eyes??

A separate thing I want to ask everyone of this report - which, if any, bikes had ABS and would you consider it useful to leave it enabled for fast, straight gravel or steppe sections??
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #4139
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,391
Abs is only good for pavement. Hills and gravel it works! but doesnt slow you down any.

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #4140
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Later.

I arrived in Moscow in the mid afternoon and started to look for my accomodation.

I live in London and can testify that it's one of the most expensive cities in the World in which to live. Compared to Moscow it's a snip!
When I checked out hotels anywhere near the centre-and not great hotels-the cost ran from about £350 a night up-that's $500 U.S /600 Euro plus. This wasn't on expense account but my own money, so they simply weren't an option-I'm way too mean.

Tony P had been in touch and had advised I stay in a hostel and mentioned this one, " Napoleon's Hostel" close to Red Square and right in the heart of the city. I wasn't going to drive anywhere once I got here, I'd walk or use the Metro(subway). I got there after dicing with Moscow traffic and went to see if they had a bed for two or 3 nights . They were pretty full but did-result! I've never stayed in a hostel in my life so didn't know what to expect. What I didn't expect was to be put in a room full of 20 year old girls-there was one guy but I never saw him awake. The girl on reception was a knockout gorgeous doll who never seemed to wear anything other than a loose, very short skirt and a vest top without a bra.
Guys, I'm at a very funny age and it was all I could do to close my mouth and stop dribbling.
Her: "Whats your name"
Me: Absently....."Errrr...Dunno"
Her: How long would you like to stay"
Me: (Wookie noise) LLLMMMLL!!
Her: "Can I see your passport please"
Me. thinking "you can have anything you want just pleeeeease lean forward a teeny bit more so I can see the puppies' noses"......."yeth"
No...I haven't a photo and Gadget Boy would bin it if I had, to save the collective sanity of this audience and prevent an international epidemic of terminal masturbation.

Moscow. Bring it on!

Back to more mundane stuff. Some of you may remember Walter's bike being stolen in (I think) Amsterdam. I had no lock for my bike and the hostel had no parking other than right on the street.
Hmmm. I had to get philosphical and acccept that if some lowlife nicks it, I'll just need to hop a flight home and blow the cost of the bike...Not ideal by any means but shit happens.
As it was i left it parked just as in this picture for 3 days and it was never touched.

ROD CURRIE screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 09:16 AM