ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #4561
GSlite
Bothan spy
 
GSlite's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Glendora, CA, USA
Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Is this true of a generic external CD/DVD drive?
I'm guessing yes, but I don't know for sure.
__________________
Look… It's not in my nature to be mysterious, but I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.
GSlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #4562
rgiroux
Invisible Man
 
rgiroux's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Socal near the great 33
Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Is this true of a generic external CD/DVD drive?
going out on a limb here a little, but I think it just depends on the program you use to view the video. the one I use, you just set it to PAL.

will verify when the IT guy wakes up (somewhere around noon )
__________________
"Otherwise, its been a carnival of idiots, and Im the f*ckin ringmaster" - RTW Doug
Speed is your friend, it also why you see a bike up in a tree from time to time - WarLlama

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #4563
bostondog
n00b
 
bostondog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: 'straya.......mate
Oddometer: 1
I signed up here on adv ages ago to generally lurk around these ride reports. I refrain from posting questions or remarks as other regular adv members on here usually cover anything I want to know, but I felt the need to give my thanks. I love travelling to foreign lands and riding bikes but have never really done both seriously together.
I have read many of the RR's on here with admiration for people who can make time in their busy lives to drop everything and embark on an epic journey like this one and tell their stories here.
Two of these stories in particular I have been absolutely gobsmacked by; the first being Oisin's rtw journey a couple of years ago and the other: This one.
It is one thing to go all out and take on a epic journey like this, it another talent altogether to be able to tell the story like you guys have.
Rod, you made a good decision to include your trek back to Moscow in the thread when at one time it looked as though at one stage you would create a separate thread, it tied the last part of the story together nicely, thanks also for the pics of Moscow. It was a nice reminder of when I was there back in '08.
Thank you Walter, Terry, Rod, Prutser, Beamster, Geir, Erik and Steve for firstly, the effort each of you have put into such an experience and secondly, putting this thread together so well, you have entertained your audience no end.

bostondog screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 09:27 PM
bostondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #4564
buzzlightyear
Adventurer
 
buzzlightyear's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondog View Post
i signed up here on adv ages ago to generally lurk around these ride reports. I refrain from posting questions or remarks as other regular adv members on here usually cover anything i want to know, but i felt the need to give my thanks. I love travelling to foreign lands and riding bikes but have never really done both seriously together.
I have read many of the rr's on here with admiration for people who can make time in their busy lives to drop everything and embark on an epic journey like this one and tell their stories here.
Two of these stories in particular i have been absolutely gobsmacked by; the first being oisin's rtw journey a couple of years ago and the other: This one.
It is one thing to go all out and take on a epic journey like this, it another talent altogether to be able to tell the story like you guys have.
rod, you made a good decision to include your trek back to moscow in the thread when at one time it looked as though at one stage you would create a separate thread, it tied the last part of the story together nicely, thanks also for the pics of moscow. It was a nice reminder of when i was there back in '08.
Thank you walter, terry, rod, prutser, beamster, geir, erik and steve for firstly, the effort each of you have put into such an experience and secondly, putting this thread together so well, you have entertained your audience no end.
+1000
buzzlightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #4565
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondog View Post
I signed up here on adv ages ago to generally lurk around these ride reports. I refrain from posting questions or remarks as other regular adv members on here usually cover anything I want to know, but I felt the need to give my thanks. I love travelling to foreign lands and riding bikes but have never really done both seriously together.
I have read many of the RR's on here with admiration for people who can make time in their busy lives to drop everything and embark on an epic journey like this one and tell their stories here.
Two of these stories in particular I have been absolutely gobsmacked by; the first being Oisin's rtw journey a couple of years ago and the other: This one.
It is one thing to go all out and take on a epic journey like this, it another talent altogether to be able to tell the story like you guys have.
Rod, you made a good decision to include your trek back to Moscow in the thread when at one time it looked as though at one stage you would create a separate thread, it tied the last part of the story together nicely, thanks also for the pics of Moscow. It was a nice reminder of when I was there back in '08.
Thank you Walter, Terry, Rod, Prutser, Beamster, Geir, Erik and Steve for firstly, the effort each of you have put into such an experience and secondly, putting this thread together so well, you have entertained your audience no end.
Excellent first post, and the thoughts of many
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #4566
Grants
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Grants's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Latvia
Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post

What we had to do was to empower Yuri to act on our behalf with regards to the bikes. That also meant that he could sell the bikes if he wanted to Based on what we had read Yuri was a man to be thrusted and we did that. We got the letter and sent it to Yuri.


Of course, maybe, I`m paranoiac but in this document you can see a lot of personal information like personal codes, passport numbers, date of issuance of passport, address where the person lives, date of birth / place etc. From my point of view it would be good to blank these places;
__________________
Latvia - Romania
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754389
Grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #4567
EtronX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
EtronX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Norway
Oddometer: 214
It happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grants View Post
Of course, maybe, I`m paranoiac but in this document you can see a lot of personal information like personal codes, passport numbers, date of issuance of passport, address where the person lives, date of birth / place etc. From my point of view it would be good to blank these places;
Thank you
__________________
Vitim Bridge Club
EtronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #4568
moto rrad
ADV n00b
 
moto rrad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: German land
Oddometer: 84
A round of applause for the lady and gentlemen

A truly inspirational RR. Besides the amazing photography, roads, and participants, I was very impressed with the hospitality of the Russians (and others) who you met on the road. This RR confirms my want to get on the bike this summer and ride for as long as money will allow. Adventure time!
__________________
Suzi XF650 "Freewind"
moto rrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #4569
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!
 
Dahveed's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 5,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondog View Post
.
Two of these stories in particular I have been absolutely gobsmacked by; the first being Oisin's rtw journey a couple of years ago and the other: This one.
Oisin's been posting videos on YouTube recently. Just started watching them. will probably spend the $5 on his book on Amazon, once I get my kindle acct sorted. Here's his first video from his youtube channel...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
When you get too old to serve as a bad example, you can always give bad advice.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #4570
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?
 
F650Dakar_Norway's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Norway, Scandinavia
Oddometer: 960
Thumb

Simply awesome RR and trip experience to read through. I've read it 3 times already. Work and family commitments aside - this has been a severly inspiriting and motivational digital experience. Hmmmmmm ;-)
__________________
Norway
Current stable:
2010 BMW F800GS
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #4571
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: LBC, yo.
Oddometer: 353
Did little else this weekend, apart from going to the Supercross, than read this thread. Less than a minute until it's Monday.
__________________
DIRT BIKES ARE FUN AND INTERESTING
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #4572
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: LBC, yo.
Oddometer: 353
Genghis Kahn and the Making of the Modern World is sitting ready.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread for the time spent to share your joy and discovery with the rest of us.
__________________
DIRT BIKES ARE FUN AND INTERESTING

Taranis screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 03:09 PM
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #4573
Nocturnity
n00b
 
Nocturnity's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Oddometer: 5
Firstly, thanks to everyone on this ride for taking the time to share your experiences and inspiring the next generation of adventurers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
As a counterpoint to the above, however, the mountain trails in California are full of nearly as many hikers of Japanese descent, if not at times more, than of European.
The Japanese and Chinese are about as similar as Germans and Americans. They have vastly different cultures. There are tons of Japanese adventure riders around the world. We just don't regularly hear about them because, if they write, they do so in their own language on their own forums/blogs. The Chinese, not so much...
Nocturnity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #4574
FrancoisStilbaai
n00b
 
FrancoisStilbaai's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: South Africa,Stilbaai, Western Cape
Oddometer: 7
Thumb

What a ride report.Thanks a lot guys for all the time and effort that went into one amazing ride report!
FrancoisStilbaai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #4575
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT
 
MTrider16's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Montana
Oddometer: 1,477
Here is another view of Siberia. Sorry that it doesn't have anything about motorcycles, but in the middle of winter, I wouldn't be riding either.

http://transformsiberia.com/author/alexandyulia/

David
__________________
'13 VFR1200D, '13 XVS950, '09 F800GS, 07 CRF250X
Riding roads in Montana - Big Sky Country
www.mtrider16.smugmug.com
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014