ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #1036
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ROD CURRIE's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Yorkshire and London, England
Oddometer: 472
Bike packing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Hello Rod :-)

I see from your text, and from your pictures, that you fancy small soft panniers when you travel. Light is good when it comes to off road.

I see though that you have a ton of stuff strapped outside your bags. Doesn't that defy the whole purpose of having small panniers? I tried the same on my Kola trip and you can still follow my trail from all the items I lost

When I was a Boy Scout I was tought to always leave a trail for me to follow back if I needed to. Were you a Boy Scout too
Hi Etron.

Its a balance isn't it? The small bags enforce discipline, but there's always one more thing you want to take. If I had giant bags it's be the same I suspect.
As has been stated in the thread, I'd never consider hard luggage-it's just too dangerous and a broken tibia in areas as remote as this would be a major problem.
.
1) I was indeed a boy scout. ...dyb dyb!
Normally I don't have so much shit strapped to the outside. I usually just have my sandals on top of my camping gear in the rollbag, and some handy tools in a Dirtbagz pouch behind me. The rest goes in the panniers.

2) I was carrying quite a lot of food at the start-4-5 dried meals and even tho' they're dried they're quite bulky. As the trip went on thje bulk went in to me and off the bike. I still have the bulk alas.
3)There's a spare HD tube in the orange bag that I couldn't get in the left pannier -I know...Bad packing.
4) The big roll of gaffer tape isn;t something I usually carry, but a last minute buy. Again...bad packing so it had to go on the outside

Water was always a problem, I just haven't the pockets for it all and we were going through tons. The bladder in my jacket holds 2 litres but it's just not enough in these temperatures when you might be many miles away from a safe water supply, and need to camp/cook at night too, then ride half the day to another water supply. Sou you end uo with water anywhere you can stuff it, and the empties need to stay with you as I'm pretty anal about littering.
Prutster and Beemster were keeping a list of all the crap I dropped and P picked up, and unsurprisingly, as you'll see as the trip went on, the food was eaten, tube installed, my bike looked tidier. Unlike myself , I looked increasingly tatty and disreputable. .
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #1037
hardwaregrrl
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 7,070
Hey Rod, wondering what your plans were when the KTM kept acting up.? Sorry if I missed it but were you guys trying to get somewhere with a KTM dealer, or just hoping the problem would sort itself out? Did you bring a spare fuel pump and swap it in?

Again, loving each and every word!!!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #1038
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ROD CURRIE's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Yorkshire and London, England
Oddometer: 472
KTM problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Hey Rod, wondering what your plans were when the KTM kept acting up.? Sorry if I missed it but were you guys trying to get somewhere with a KTM dealer, or just hoping the problem would sort itself out? Did you bring a spare fuel pump and swap it in?

Again, loving each and every word!!!!!
Hi Hardwaregrrl -you really need to have a word with your parents.

Choosing my words carefully here: Don't want to give too much away yet.

KTM dealers in that part of the world are pretty rare and sadly of questionable ability. The distances between one dealer and another even if they carried the parts are enormous.
I'd brough spare filters, injector, plug and the usual bits and bobs but no pump.
It might not be the pump...one suggestion from KTM (Mathausen themselves) was it might be the clutch sensor, if it "thinks" there's something wrong it'll put the EMC module into "safe" mode -and kill the engine.
Why they've built it like this I don't know. The Lord gave me some excellent clutch sensors ..one either side of my head and another on the end of my wrist..I didn't need a dodgy electronic one thanks. When I was told about this I almost self-combusted.

All will be revealed . Read on.

ROD CURRIE screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:51 AM Reason: typo
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #1039
hardwaregrrl
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 7,070
Awwww shite.....sorry I fooked it up! I was never very good with secrets. Just wondering what was going through your mind at the time. I know what would be going through mine..... KTM


Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Hi Hardwaregrrl -you really need to have a word with your parents.

Choosing my words carefully here: Don't want to give too much away yet.

KTM dealers in that part of the world are pretty rare and sadly of questionable ability. The distances between one dealer and another even if they carried the parts are enormous.
I'd brough spare filters, injector, plug and the usual bits and bobs but no pump.
It might not be the pump...one suggestion from KTM (Mathausen themselves) was it might be the clutch sensor, if it "thinks" there's something wrong it'll put the EMC module into "safe" mode -and kill the engine.
Why they've built it like this I don't know. The Lord gave me some excellent clutch sensors ..one either side of my head and another on the end of my wrist..I didn't need a dodgy electronic one thanks. When I was told about this I almost self-combusted.

All will be revealed . Read on.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #1040
StepOnIt
Assitoner
 
StepOnIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Huntsville ON.
Oddometer: 937
light it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Awwww shite.....sorry I fooked it up! I was never very good with secrets. Just wondering what was going through your mind at the time. I know what would be going through mine..... KTM
I agree with hardwaregrrl and as a fellow 690 owner not sure I could keep my cool. There might be a lose fuel line and a match it it kept it up , show it who is boss.
WTF about the clutch sensor???? over built with poor parts lol
__________________
The road less traveled is the road I travel more.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #1041
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ROD CURRIE's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Yorkshire and London, England
Oddometer: 472
The ancient Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
That is because old Terry is a star, Rod.

Nice meeting you outside Altsamay for dinner :-)
Terry may indeed be a star-but rushing to his defence here he's only about 5 weeks older than me, so couldn't possibly be described as "Old Terry" unless I'm to accept the same soubriquet-the very thought.

...in fact I think he's just out of his teens at times, and determined to stay there!

What say T?

Good meeting you guys too.
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #1042
elron
Still Standing
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Oddometer: 256
Great Report/Rod's Footgear ?

WALTER, TERRY, PRUSTER, BEAMSTER, & ROD: This is a great read with all of your input and being written 'post' ride you folks are doing a great job keeping the story line going and giving different perspectives.

ROD: Wondering what you're using for boots? They appear not to be mc purpose built, but look quite sturdy. I ask, because with my size 16 feetsess [sic], mc boots are 1st off, difficult to find, and then, such humongous clod hoppers with all the buckles and bulk that they really interfere w/my podalic maneuverability & comfort. I've got bigger lowered pegs, longer reach shifter, etc., but I still find myself more often than not wearing a solid pair of less bulky hiking boots rather than my size 16 Alpinestars 3.

elron
__________________
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #1043
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer
 
MrPulldown's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Truckee
Oddometer: 2,702
Why the long johns/underwear. If it is 100 degrees out you would never find me wearing LJs. Chaffing?
__________________
94 DR 350 SE
No Load LED Flash Relay and Diode Kits for Sale
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #1044
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)
 
(sp?)'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Seattle, USA
Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Why the long johns/underwear. If it is 100 degrees out you would never find me wearing LJs. Chaffing?
depending on the LJ fabric it may be cooler. I found a set of Schoellers at my local BMW dealer that I always wear in the heat beneath my gear. It wicks away and evaporates the sweat creating a cooling effect.

Nice report guys and Beemster!
__________________
Blue KTM Forum now!!!
--
'09 Husaberg FE570
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #1045
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ROD CURRIE's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Yorkshire and London, England
Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
WALTER, TERRY, PRUSTER, BEAMSTER, & ROD: This is a great read with all of your input and being written 'post' ride you folks are doing a great job keeping the story line going and giving different perspectives.

ROD: Wondering what you're using for boots? They appear not to be mc purpose built, but look quite sturdy. I ask, because with my size 16 feetsess [sic], mc boots are 1st off, difficult to find, and then, such humongous clod hoppers with all the buckles and bulk that they really interfere w/my podalic maneuverability & comfort. I've got bigger lowered pegs, longer reach shifter, etc., but I still find myself more often than not wearing a solid pair of less bulky hiking boots rather than my size 16 Alpinestars 3.

elron
Hey Elron.
This is only my opinion:I have tried MX boots and find them just too hard to get on with.... so uncomfortable and almost impossible to walk in as if you're not wearing ski-boots...clunk-slap..clunk-slap every step, I can't change gear with them and find (for me) I've no feel on the brake. Years ago I started wearing high leg para style hunting boots. Waterproof, offering enough ankle support and absolutely all day comfortable on and off the bike. In a big spill, no doubt they wouldn't protect as well as a MX boot, but I've had not less than 200 offs and plenty of them in horrible rocky terrain and they've offered enough protection so far.
As in all these things, its a balance and one day I might regret the choice, but these work for me . They're about the same price as low-end Trail boots. About 120/200 bucks.
If you want the make I'll have a look and PM you. The current ones are made in Italy.
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #1046
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding
 
FinnDuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 373
RR Crew, any of you wished you hadn't gotten almost all black riding gear... ? Would think light greys and such might've been much cooler?
__________________
Stable: BMW R80 GS -90, BMW G 650 Xchallenge, KTM 690 Enduro R -12 // finnduro.com
FinnDuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #1047
Prutser
Studly Adventurer
 
Prutser's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The Dutch swamp
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Why the long johns/underwear. If it is 100 degrees out you would never find me wearing LJs. Chaffing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by (sp?) View Post
depending on the LJ fabric it may be cooler. I found a set of Schoellers at my local BMW dealer that I always wear in the heat beneath my gear. It wicks away and evaporates the sweat creating a cooling effect.

Nice report guys and Beemster!
Just like (sp?) says. There is a lot of technical underwear that helps to keep your body cooler.
The days on the Kazakh steppes were so hot that we poured water into our jackets,pants and helmets.
And even soaked the shirts each time we stopped. It took a bit more than one hour to dry again !!

Beam(st)er was using arcteryx (really great stuff).

A big pro of that underwear is that when you start to sweat your riding gear doesn't stick to your skin and it feels a lot more comfortable.
__________________
BMW R100'91/R80'93/R75/6 R80ST'83/R65GS'87/GasGasTXT300/DouglasW20-1920

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #1048
Beam(st)er
Miss Adventurer
 
Beam(st)er's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
RR Crew, any of you wished you hadn't gotten almost all black riding gear... ? Would think light greys and such might've been much cooler?
Hi Finnduro,
I think lighter colours would have been much cooler indeed.
I'm not sure but maybe lighter colours would have saved me from having a heat stroke...
Some more vents would have been better for sure!
__________________
BMW R80, BMW R80G/S, BMW R80 sidecar, KTM 250EXC

Beam(st)er screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 11:36 AM
Beam(st)er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #1049
Beam(st)er
Miss Adventurer
 
Beam(st)er's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 96
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Hello Rod :-)

I see from your text, and from your pictures, that you fancy small soft panniers when you travel. Light is good when it comes to off road.

I see though that you have a ton of stuff strapped outside your bags. Doesn't that defy the whole purpose of having small panniers? I tried the same on my Kola trip and you can still follow my trail from all the items I lost

When I was a Boy Scout I was tought to always leave a trail for me to follow back if I needed to. Were you a Boy Scout too
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post

Prutster and Beemster were keeping a list of all the crap I dropped...
I indeed had to keep my distance for my own safety...
__________________
BMW R80, BMW R80G/S, BMW R80 sidecar, KTM 250EXC
Beam(st)er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #1050
elron
Still Standing
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Oddometer: 256
PM Sent re Boots

ROD, sent you a PM ....elron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Hey Elron....................................
As in all these things, its a balance and one day I might regret the choice, but these work for me . They're about the same price as low-end Trail boots. About 120/200 bucks.
If you want the make I'll have a look and PM you. The current ones are made in Italy.
__________________
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014