ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #1276
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,647
Prutser- no snorkel the final drive breather, or are you draining it for chocolate milk every morning???

just gotta ask why duct tape on only one side of the tank??
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #1277
Prutser
Studly Adventurer
 
Prutser's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The Dutch swamp
Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Pruster- no snorkel the final drive breather, or are you draining it for chocolate milk every morning???
Hi One less H. There is one on the fd and the gearbox

The tape was to protect the paint(a bit) when I was using the fuel bladder.
The cap was leaking so I had to carry it upright. I strapped it against my tank on top of my cylinder racks.
(only used it once or twice) (I think you can see it in the video Walter posted)
__________________
BMW R100'91/R80'93/R75/6 R80ST'83/R65GS'87/GasGasTXT300/DouglasW20-1920

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 10:02 AM
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #1278
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
I'm known as someone with quite a short fuse, But now I couldn't get wetter...the bike couldn't be any more fucked...I could hardly be further from home . I'd now kinda reached my inner Zen and was pretty fatalistic about it. I won't die and I probably won't get pregnant . At worst I'll dump the bike, bum a ride and go home. SORTED!
That's a Classic! I hope you don't mind if I quote your little gem from time to time! Very well said. Glad you got to that Zen point. So many fight it all the way down. It's all in your head after all.

Interesting about the TKC. I like them too but got seriously fucked up in Utah trying to ride through mud. DOWN! Both my TKC80 front and rear D606 loaded up badly and became very hard to clear. Only high speed would clear them up!

The difference was I was only 10 or 15 miles from paved roads ... so a light weight ride by comparison

Stay Calm, Carry On. Mind The Gap!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #1279
achesley
Old Motorcyclist
 
achesley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Jennings, Louisiana
Oddometer: 3,419
Every time I come in this room, I check for updates on this ride report and others I'm following. Just hoping to get another fix. Course, been doing that a long time with the Siberia and area reports you guys put up.
I was surprised that the low front fenders did not cause some blockage of the tire rotating.
Other question is : My favorite tire for the gravel and dirt roads here are the Kenda 270's. Anyone ever try them out there? Not to think they would work in the heavy, clay like mud though.
Now waiting for the next fix.
__________________

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #1280
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ROD CURRIE's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Yorkshire and London, England
Oddometer: 472
Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Every time I come in this room, I check for updates on this ride report and others I'm following. Just hoping to get another fix. Course, been doing that a long time with the Siberia and area reports you guys put up.
I was surprised that the low front fenders did not cause some blockage of the tire rotating.
Other question is : My favorite tire for the gravel and dirt roads here are the Kenda 270's. Anyone ever try them out there? Not to think they would work in the heavy, clay like mud though.
Now waiting for the next fix.
Hi Achesley. Truth is none of the tyres could really cope with that type of gloopy mud-look at the pics - and during that part of the ride we all had a pretty miserable time. The TKC front was just especially unsuitable (P had raised his eyebrows when I mentioned my planned tyre combo)and I've no one to blame but myself. The rear was OK-that's a Dunlop RR208...but I tend no to do too much steering with that with a dead engine. Heigh ho...onwards and......yet wetter.


The bizarre thing is, overall I was still having a ball...so the bike's giving trouble?...SFW! It sometimes comes with the ride doesn't it, and opens doors that might otherwise remain closed..
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #1281
Prutser
Studly Adventurer
 
Prutser's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The Dutch swamp
Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
Hi Achesley. Truth is none of the tyres could really cope with that type of gloopy mud-look at the pics - and during that part of the ride we all had a pretty miserable time. The TKC front was just especially unsuitable (P had raised his eyebrows when I mentioned my planned tyre combo)and I've no one to blame but myself. The rear was OK-that's a Dunlop RR208...but I tend no to do too much steering with that with a dead engine. Heigh ho...onwards and......yet wetter.


The bizarre thing is, overall I was still having a ball...so the bike's giving trouble?...SFW! It sometimes comes with the ride doesn't it, and opens doors that might otherwise remain closed..
I'm sorry Rod but Beam(st)er and me had not that much trouble that day. Our tires were really ok !!!!
And I think we were the only ones that REALLY ENJOYED that day.
Regardless of the wet socks, rain,mud,mosquitoes......
__________________
BMW R100'91/R80'93/R75/6 R80ST'83/R65GS'87/GasGasTXT300/DouglasW20-1920

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #1282
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer
 
igormortis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Moving further away from Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,243
Remind us, Prutser - what tyres were you using?
igormortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #1283
Prutser
Studly Adventurer
 
Prutser's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The Dutch swamp
Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashek View Post
Thanks for answering my questions.
This RR is addictive. I'm laid up house bound at the moment so keep checking your progress more frequently than is healthy. Mind you it's the one thing keeping me sane
Just a couple more questions for you Prutser if that's ok. What make is the rear fender and seat on your ST.

Ride on

Stashek
I know it's addictive....... Checking it my self all the time You never know what Walter,Rod or Terry might say

The fender is from Ufo plast.(way to short) The seat base plate is an original one. But with some changes.
I took of a bit from the sides at the back to make it look thinner and there is a custom foam and cover on it.
__________________
BMW R100'91/R80'93/R75/6 R80ST'83/R65GS'87/GasGasTXT300/DouglasW20-1920

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #1284
Prutser
Studly Adventurer
 
Prutser's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: The Dutch swamp
Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Remind us, Prutser - what tyres were you using?
Beam(st)er and me were using Bridgestone ED77 and ED78
No DOT code.... But when I took off the "NOT" in "Not for highway use" they were fine



They made our bikes fishtail above 90 km/h. caused by the front tire.
(for the ride home (2700km tarmac) I changed the front for an old TKC80 and the fishtailing was gone)
On the boxer they lasted more than 10.000 km. On the XCountry they could have done some more.
__________________
BMW R100'91/R80'93/R75/6 R80ST'83/R65GS'87/GasGasTXT300/DouglasW20-1920

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #1285
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
His face says it all.

This wasnt fun anymore:

That look is one of total resignation to the situation.. you are wet, you are muddy, there is nothing you can do about it so just keep on trudging along.. I have seen that exact same look countless times in my 23 years in the Marines. You spend the first few hours trying to stay dry and warm/comfortable, and at some point it just becomes impossible. Once you give up trying, you just enjoy the misery and get the job done.
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #1286
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
That look is one of total resignation to the situation.. you are wet, you are muddy, there is nothing you can do about it so just keep on trudging along.. I have seen that exact same look countless times in my 23 years in the Marines. You spend the first few hours trying to stay dry and warm/comfortable, and at some point it just becomes impossible. Once you give up trying, you just enjoy the misery and get the job done.
I like how he even has his jacket undone Take me, I'm yours
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #1287
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
It at least showed that KTM fit excellent batteries to their bikes as I probably had to start it 300 times that day. No exaggeration I promise. In the end I disconnected the headlight to save power wherever I could.

One of the guys mentioned a poor earth (ground) lead from the coil on his bike causing him to lose a spark. We'd checked that and the spark available would have killed a donkey-but thanks for the observation and I 'm glad you got your bike sorted.

I'm known as someone with quite a short fuse, But now I couldn't get wetter...the bike couldn't be any more fucked...I could hardly be further from home . I'd now kinda reached my inner Zen and was pretty fatalistic about it. I won't die and I probably won't get pregnant . At worst I'll dump the bike, bum a ride and go home. SORTED!
Yeah, that was me. Sorry to hear that the bastard still is giving you a hard time. You are my hero, I am a lot less patient and would have kicked the darn bike into the deepest rut I could find.
There's nothing worse than sitting on a bike which you cant trust. Except you're a man and get pregnant

Not exactly knowing where you are I just ask a (maybe) stupid question: Is there a chance to get the KTM in a garage, even if its the worst shithole north of the Danube? I mean just to have a dry place to check step by step what may be the reason. May take a day but maybe it would be worth a try. I already asked KTM technicians but they have no clue and also would try to check the most usual things (spark and fuel). Spark you have, so its obviously a fuel problem. That makes it more complicated.... However, mine had a spark from time to time so I'd check teh ground connections whether its the reason or not, just to be sure. Then go and disconnect every connector you can find and drench it with WD40 or other similar spray. Check the engine cut out switch, I seen a 690 where the switch was faulty which took us almost a day to find out. The ignition switch my have a problem as well, but thats hard to check without measuring equipment.

I really know how pissed you are and I keep my fingers crossed for you and your mates...


Hope you can get it sorted.

Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #1288
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer
 
igormortis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Moving further away from Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Hope you can get it sorted.
Hey Steve, just a reminder that this report is being written after the fact. Presumably they're all back home now. We just have to wait anxiously to see where the story goes from here!
igormortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #1289
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Beam(st)er and me were using Bridgestone ED77 and ED78
No DOT code.... But when I took off the "NOT" in "Not for highway use" they were fine



They made our bikes fishtail above 90 km/h. caused by the front tire.
(for the ride home (2700km tarmac) I changed the front for an old TKC80 and the fishtailing was gone)
On the boxer they lasted more than 10.000 km. On the XCountry they could have done some more.
I believe those are called "Gritty". A popular Baja tire here in USA. Hard wearing, perform well. Never tried them in mud ... but a better pattern than TKC I should think (for Mud).

I've heard the theory that a heavy bike can make Mud riding a bit easier.
What do you guys think?
(I think about Aussie RTW legend Peter Forwood and his HD in deep mud ruts in Africa)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #1290
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Hey Steve, just a reminder that this report is being written after the fact. Presumably they're all back home now. We just have to wait anxiously to see where the story goes from here!
*LOL* Thanks. I am a friggin idiot
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014