Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
dickc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Paris Landing Tennessee State park

Paris landing or bust

Wanted to go on a nice weekend trip with my wife, Sandi through Land between the Lakes, a park managed by the forestry service and end the trip at the Paris Landing State Park, I failed.
The ride started great. After a quick stop at the Little Golden pond we hit the trails, my wife for the second time on gravel. All roads that you are allowed to ride in LBL are numbered, I found out many moons ago not to ride on unnumbered trails, the rangers become unfriendly. We spend about an hour on 100 roads; these are well maintained gravel and chip roads.

Then we get to some 300 roads, these are not maintained gravel and mud trails. Sandi looked at the mud and water with a little apprehension but like a trooper she hit it slow and steady. After about a mile she dumps the bike in the middle of a huge mud hole. I turned back not knowing what to expect tears, anger, what I get is laughter. She is grinning ear to ear standing over the bike. We are forced to turn back a little later at a 100 yard long 2 foot deep water hole that a jeep guy just churned up in front of us.
After our muddy adventure we took a break at the nature station. They have injured and maimed animals along with a breeding pair of red wolves. It is worth the price of admission. Watch out for the bobcat, he peed on a little kid.

Next lunch

Sandi gets her nice boots muddy for the first time.

We get back on the road and disaster strikes. I look over to Sandi’s bike and fuel is pouring out of the bike. Apon a closer look her fuel line has split at the carb. I get the line off but I had let a coworker barrow my pocket knife the day before and was without any cutting utensil.

I take a little walk down the road and find a nice little piece of flint. I knapp it into a little knife and we are off again only to find all the 300 trails going south from our location are being farmed or a little more than Sandi wants to handle this late in the day. She calls the last part of the ride off because she is pooped.

Undeterred from the goal of getting a write up on Paris landing I enlist the help of my best friend Andy to ride down after work along a different route through Murray, KY. We keep a close eye on the weather though out the day at work. There is a line of storms that will hit the area later in the night. On this trip I opt to leave the KLR at home and take the GS500. The leaves around the house have just turned and I am looking forward to a nice ride through the rolling hills of Calloway County.

I get to Andy’s house and we can see the front in the distance.

That does not deter us, it is go time people!

We head through Murray at dusk with all the great smells of fall greeting the nose. Murray State University's colorful foliage is on display today.

And now WIND. As the front approaches we hit awesome gusts that were tossing us around. We get to the state park just a the last vestige of the day was being played out.

We did not play around too long at the park. We stopped by the marina bar but it was dead. The beer is a little pricey at the park so most locals hit the eagles nest just down the road for a drink and live music.

We looked around the marina.

We ogled a young man’s e30 that was complicating a craigslist purchase of a roof rack.

By now Andy needed fuel so off to the gas station. As I sat on my bike I noticed a lady bottle feeding something in the cab of her truck next to me. I duck walk up and see it is a lamb. I ask for a picture and she agrees, and asks if I want the picture on the bike. Sure, who does not want a picture of a lamb on a bike!

The little lady stood there well. I may have a new riding buddy.

We leave our four legged friend and head to this place.

I love neon.

We order a glass of tea and take a look at the radar. We promptly ask for a check. I get a tub of Jambalaya to go and we make tracks back home.

Have you ever watched star wars? Do you know the scene where they make the jump to light speed, not ludicrous speed? Well that is what the leaves looked like, thousands of leaves being pulled from the trees and tossed about the road. The wind moved us around the road as we watched the lightning keep the sky a deep purple for most of the ride back to Murray. Once in town and close to Andy’s place we stopped and ate sushi at Shogun. It is the best sushi in Western Kentucky bar none.

Stuffed with fish and rice we headed to the house just as the storm rolled into town. I waited the worst out wrestling with Andy’s little boy before making the last wet section of my trip home.
I know I did not show you guys all the great things at the state park. I am sorry. It is a great place to hang out though. They have cozy lake side cabins and the best marina on this part of the lake. Check it out.

dickc screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 11:04 AM
dickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Challenging ride

Enjoyed all of your RR. Sounds like the portion to Paris Island State Park was challenging to say the least.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 310
What a great story! Adventure, weather, food, and a lamb. Your tale has it all. Love it.

8trackmind screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 04:03 PM
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Thanks. I have been to the area. My Mothers family is from that area
Old 10-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
bcwilliams
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I live close to there. I only have KLX 250 but I'm game on the gravel roads. Send me a IM if you want to ride.
bcwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,238
Thanks for the RR! We'll be riding through TN this June. Can't wait!