User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
ifthis OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Will e21 givi shatter?

Picked up givi rack and e21 cases for klr. Possibly replace mermite cans on it. I ride 2up so smaller cased means less shoes. But can they take a fall. They feel cheep. Mud might be ok but solid ground they may just fly off.
ifthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 416
No idea about e21, but my e45s survived a highway crash doing 40+mph. No damage other than some scratches. They protected the bike from severe damage.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
LordSmoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...rash-info.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...-any-good.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl...ide-cases.html

I did see one report of shattering at very low temps, but they generally get a for durability. Not indestructible, but quite good for the price point.
2014 BMW R1200GSW
LordSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,303
I've got 2 sets, one that was on my USA / Mexico bike. They took a beating, in fact I think they had been beaten before I even go them. They are still as solid as ever. I only bought the second set because they were a steal of a deal and if I do manage to finally damage my originals I want to have another set.

What rack are you using? I did manage to break the SW Motech rack in Joshua Tree Park.....
Old 06-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Pringle
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
What rack are you using? I did manage to break the SW Motech rack in Joshua Tree Park.....
Breaks metal rack but not plastic sidecase....
Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringle View Post
Breaks metal rack but not plastic sidecase....
It was really rough going. Back then I was known for taking the wrong bike into some really messed up places. It wasn't an impact but the constant jarring that broke the rack. I had it welded and reinstalled the next day.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
My wife had E21's on her BMW F650GS and dropped it several times with them off road and never had a problem. The lid might pop open, but it usually goes right back. They feel flimsy, but they actually hold up well to some abuse.

I do agree with someone else that if you have the older style SW-motech rack, that is probably the weak link.

My main beef with the E21's is that the key takes the full brunt of locking/unlocking them and if you frequently stuff them full, it can be a lot of force on the small givi key. Twice now I've broken a key in the lock and each time it was very little force, the key had just fatigued over time. The first time, I was on a trip but thankfully I had just locked it after emptying it and it was the last day of a trip, so I only had to find a place to keep all my extra stuff and I was carrying a spare key so I could still get in the other one.

Just as an FYI you also need to really make sure that lock has actually secured the lid. I left a yardsale of stuff along a dirt road one time when I forgot to secure the lid.

I think to make E21's perfect, they need a set of latches to secure the lid so you could close and open without a key would be perfect. Maybe use the stock lock as the lock or go as far to put an external lock on them?

I love that they are top loading, easy to pack, and easy to get in/out of and overall don't make the bike that much wider. They are also very cheap to buy too!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

With all the above said, if you want a similar case that you know won't break, look at the Pelican 1430's. - http://www.innerspacecases.com/pelic...WWK9TKH-Pw_wcB

The are a tiny bit smaller than E21's at 15L vs 21L, but they solve all the issues the E21's have. They are pelican, so much more rigid and and stout. They have 2 very strong latches that just open/close and you can attach a lock to. They make a little net type pouch that goes in the lid and gives you a place to store all kinds of little stuff without them being all in the bottom.

I have a set of 1430's I really like, but you do give up just a little bit of space. If they were only just a little bit bigger without going all the way to the next size which is the 1440 and huge, they would be perfect. A 1430 pelican fits inside a 1440 pelican. They need a middle ground case to split the difference.

This guy gives some good pics of the 1430 on a Vstrom and he also shows how big the 1440 is in comparison. - http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...al-photos.html
Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
stcowboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Anyone using the new E22?
stcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

I didn't even know the E22's existed until I just looked them up, but in my view I'm not sure I like the fact there is just more room in the lid it appears. It's already hard enough to keep everything from jamming up the lid with the little bit of space it has now and the only extra volume appears to be in the lid which means you'd be struggling more to keep stuff in there.

Maybe in some cases if you were trying to stuff a sleeping bag that was too tall and that fit, that would work. Or I could see if you had some sort of containment that fit in the lid and kept odd and end pieces, that could work, but otherwise, I don't see much advantage?