Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
vlitzer OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Advice requested: Seattle to Argentina on a F800R

Hello! Long time lurker.

I have been wanting to travel across the continent for some time now. I think I have the opportunity to actually do it in about 6 months or so, and I will have around 4-6 months maybe to do it. The idea would be to follow roughly the Panamerican road, and see and experience as many countries as time allows.

I have a 2012 F800R that I love. I have been taking it everywhere, did longish trips on it, took it to dirt roads with michelin power pilot tyres and I can feel that I have maybe 10% of the control I would have on the road. Also the suspension is not made for that, not to account the lack of protection to the engine and other sensible things.

Been seeing reports of people doing it on dual sports, from GSs to cheaper KLR style. Which worries me a bit regarding how much pavement I would have.

I know it is doable since any bike will do, but I want to also arrive to Argentina on my bike, and hopefully in one piece.

I would appreciate opinions and thoughts about doing it on a road oriented bike. Maybe adding dualsport tyres, radiator and engine guards, and some kind of luggage system?

I can pick up my bike unless it's inside a ditch, so I think I can handle the weight. Or should I forget about it and just get a KTM enduro / KLR / or a 800GS?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read :)

-V
vlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,433
I would find, or fabricate, some decent engine protection for big speed bumps, or potholes, but other than that I can't see, why a road bike could not make it (although they may not be the best choice for gravel roads, but if you like this bike, then that is more important IMO).
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I would find, or fabricate, some decent engine protection for big speed bumps, or potholes, but other than that I can't see, why a road bike could not make it (although they may not be the best choice for gravel roads, but if you like this bike, then that is more important IMO).
Says it all, plenty have done it one what might be regarded as less suitable bikes and enjoyed the trip.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Roads and Trails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Take an MSF dirt bike class to get some confidence on the dirt roads you will certainly encounter. Practice on deep sand and mud with your bike. People take all kinds of bikes around the world, Your BMW will be fine.
Roads and Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #5
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads and Trails View Post
Take an MSF dirt bike class to get some confidence on the dirt roads you will certainly encounter. Practice on deep sand and mud with your bike. People take all kinds of bikes around the world, Your BMW will be fine.
Second that!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #6
Dan Diego
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
First off, do some research. Right here on ADV would be a great start.

Lots and lots of good info about the whole she-bang.

Good luck.
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #7
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 9,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlitzer View Post
Advice requested: Seattle to Argentina on a F800R
I saw your thread title, and immediately saw and felt the similarity to a ride report of a similar title.

One of the epic cautionary tales ever told on ADV:

Seattle to Argentina on a KLR650

To this day, I have never ridden south of the border, come across an animal in the road, and not thought of Clayton, and given him a nod to his memory.

I wish you happy planning, a pleasant journey, and offer you a hearty welcome to ADV.

But above all, do what is necessary for your loved ones and friends, to have a safe trip.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote