Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
cafematty OP
Vodka disposal unit.

Oddometer: 3
Question Full-Time RV / Motorcycling

The Short:
If you had to condence everything you own down to what will fit in
/on/around a fifth wheel, what would your motorcycle(s) be. My thoughts are either: Go down to one two-up bike that my wife and I can have for fun day trips (maybe a KLR 650, or the more highways friendly FZ6) - Or two smaller enduros for more fun off road travels (and the occasional pavement run).

The Long:
My wife and I have been doing the cafe racer scene for a while. We love our bikes, but are maybe ready for something more practical for our new adventure. Were moving into a fifth wheel to travel around the US and generally have a rad time taking in some great experiences. I feel like were going to have lits of opportunities to do some off road trips. We aren't dirt people but would really love to explore that territory. The hitch on the back of the RV is about the vest place to store bikes. Due to the limits of the hitch carrier were stuck at around 600lbs. So that means one bigger bike or two smaller bikes.

I honestly think smaller bikes would be more fun, I'm just wondering how practical it will be. I'd be cool with sacrificing freeway speeds for a bike that can take me for an enjoyable ride down a nice road or take me off road and into some fun backcountry trails.

So what do you guys think? Travelling around the US and staying in national parks, or other scenic destinations, would we get much use out of a couple of smaller bikes for some on/off road riding? Or do we stick with a good highway bike that can take us exploring on some nice highway stretches, etc?

Thanks!!
cafematty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Karlfitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
You need to decide what you really want.

Plus, maybe a better description of your rig.

Sounds like you have a hitch at the back of a fifth wheel trailer you want to but the bike(s) on.

Pulling with what truck?
How big is the trailer?

If it is a forth wheel going behind a truck, you could also pull another trailer behind that and get pat the 600 pound limit that way.

Sell the trailer you have for a toy hauler?

Sell truck and trailer for a motorhome and pull trailer behind wth bikes.

Many ways to go.

What are you limits?
Karlfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
cafematty OP
Vodka disposal unit.

Oddometer: 3
I guess the better question here is, if you had the opportunity to travel the US - just go where you like - would you find it likely that yould find a lot of good easily accessible off- road riding? That's really the route I want to go. I've done street stuff for a while. I want to take our new spirit of exploration and our passion for bikes and merge them. I feel like a couple of bikes that get by OK on the pavement, and do well on the dirt would be awesome - but I'd hate to find there aren't as many open opportunities to do this when you're just roaming the country.

Just say, "Matty, you wouldn't believe how many awesome places there are to ride no matter what state you're in, don't buy that street bike..."
cafematty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Where's my 2 c
If the Op is going to hit Parks and Etc I would go with an enduro/dual sport. The cafe racer is ultra cool to hit metro areas and bar hop etc. But the weight of two is prohibitive. A pair or R60s or good old Ducati Monsters would do.
On the side of ultra tourers I tried this:

Because i wanted my wife to ultra b comfy on a ride in Colorado, but we couldn't hit any of the passes. BTW if I was to do it all over again on tarmac I would go with a Hayabusa with a taller screen and clip-ons plus integrated luggage.

So on our next trip we went with:

Great bike! Does everything WELL! Until one day:

So I would say for the trip, get a pair of bikes you can trolly, are fast enough for the freeway (but youll be doing enough of that getting there), can take you on to places that a street bike cant (who wants to miss out) and is easy to move when it sinks in mud etc.

If you have the $$$ get a dual sport with TWO sets of wheels. One with knobbies for the trails and one with slicks for the pavement.

Motards are the answer. Enough speed and cool factor for the city and suspension and tire setup for the trails/passes etc.

Check out this pass in Colorado yes those are FJs and Landcruisers etc (BUT theres a GS too!) but this is what youll miss with a street bike:
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
kiwi_outdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
do it twice

do one trip with the intent of hitting all the regular tourist spots and paved roads

do a 2nd trip doing ruff road locations

use a different rig combo for each trip
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
Get the small dual sports if you will be traveling in the west.

I take two small dual sports with me when I snowbird in my truck camper to Arizona every winter. They are great for exploring the endless dirt roads and trails and very useful for grocery getting, etc..
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,078
My wife doesn't ride so I'd opt for a DR650. If she rode I'd look into a couple 250 dual sports, or if my rig could handle it a DR650 for me and a TW200 or similar for her.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
John861
Jew-Raff

Oddometer: 9
If you plan on always sleeping in your trailer/home you wont be traveling too far in a day.. opt for maybe 2 dual sports with something comfy to sit on!...If you think you might explore more than 3hrs away (one way) from the trailer/home once in a while.. maybe a nice two-up bike capable of forest roads/ fire roads/ no winter mantainence roads/ and even the occasional "trail" ( KTM 990 adv. / KTM 1190 adv./Gnarly BMW 800 or 1200 / Triumph Tiger). are you planning on/ capable of actual single track trails anyways??
John861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Have you considered a 5th wheel toy hauler? That way you will not be limited to 600 lbs. When the bikes are out the garage makes a great living/entertainment area.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
Have you considered a 5th wheel toy hauler? That way you will not be limited to 600 lbs. When the bikes are out the garage makes a great living/entertainment area.
Or a regular travel trailer and put the bikes in the back of the truck....

Old 09-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
I spent a summer bumming around with a 3/4 ton pickup, truck camper, and 6x10 enclosed trailer. The trailer had a 650 dual sport, dirt bike, mountain bicycle, and road bicycle in it. What I liked about this set up was the ability to unload the dual sport easily to use for running to the grocery store, or laundry or whatever, rather than have to drive the whole rig, or drop the trailer. The trailer is a lot lower than a hitch carrier or pickup bed.

Assuming you would likely be staying for days in one spot, if you are full timing, maybe unloading easily and often isn't a big deal, but I found it important. Have you already got your truck and trailer, or still looking?

If your wife rides, I would go with two 250 class bikes, regardless how you haul them. You might be surprised how well they do on short highway trips, and it will open up a lot of possibilities for side trips.

AndyT screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 04:17 PM
AndyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
I find that unless you have a large trailer with a walled off garage area, that the bikes leave to much smell behind even when they are outside. To each their own, but I don't like to sleep with the tire/oil/gas smell.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #13
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Been traveling a fair bit for the last two years since we both retired early. Found myself consistently wishing for a smaller dual purpose bike to explore interesting areas leisurely.
Wife rides but enjoys photography more. Neither of us motocrossers by any stretch of the imagination. Two small bikes worked best for us, different flavors but similar results.
Since I have the time I'm not in a hurry to get back from somewhere I enjoyed getting to and my days of wanting the biggest and most expensive are far behind me.
Been going towards simple and solid. Lots of used around and I had the time to shop.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #14
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,101

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #15
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post

Well done... many can only wish.