User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
dutch2004 OP
Dreaming the dream...zzz

Oddometer: 66
Forever planning

I owe you guys all such a gigantic thank you!! I used to be a rider. Years ago. Moved to the States from a flat country, hoped to ride the Northern and Southern continents. Hoped to ride into the sunset and into the sunrise. But life takes sudden twists and turns. Not unlike life on the road. Then there is marriage, and there are little ones. And they rely on you. And somehow you can't afford to ride again. Financially sure, but also, and more importantly, emotionally. Riding can be safe, but tell that to someone who depends on you. I had a hard time with that, gave up the two wheels. Then I stumbled around the web and found all of you! If nothing else I could keep on dreaming. Epic trips kept here kept me from needing my own as much. I'm thinking of Mobiustrip and Sibirski Extreme, to name just a couple. So whilst I stay in the midst of my perpetual dreaming and planning for that ride when the kids are grown, I will keep coming back here to greedily soak up adventures from around the globe. And then, some 15 years from today, perhaps you will be reading my stories as I explore the back roads of Panama or finally ride through Tierra Del Fuego or ...

You guys rock!

Moderator, if this is in a totally wrong place, my apologies. Move to where you see fit.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Your dream will come true when it is the right time. Tierra del Fuego was a dream of mine that came true last year. Worth the wait. Your intentions are good.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
dutch2004 OP
Dreaming the dream...zzz

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Your dream will come true when it is the right time. Tierra del Fuego was a dream of mine that came true last year. Worth the wait. Your intentions are good.
Thanks for the kind words!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
although I'm still working toward my dream rides, I had a similar experience.

Started riding at a young age and had to stop for a while. After getting married and having kids, started riding again when I was about 30. Now, 13 years later..I'm finally doing some fun local adventure rides. Working my way up to doing the TAT next year and then maybe an Alaska Ride in 2016.

Soak it all up and when the time comes, you'll truly appreciate getting back on a bike.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
TwoUpTourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch2004 View Post
I owe you guys all such a gigantic thank you!! I used to be a rider. Years ago. Moved to the States from a flat country, hoped to ride the Northern and Southern continents. Hoped to ride into the sunset and into the sunrise. But life takes sudden twists and turns. Not unlike life on the road. Then there is marriage, and there are little ones. And they rely on you. And somehow you can't afford to ride again. Financially sure, but also, and more importantly, emotionally. Riding can be safe, but tell that to someone who depends on you. I had a hard time with that, gave up the two wheels. Then I stumbled around the web and found all of you! If nothing else I could keep on dreaming. Epic trips kept here kept me from needing my own as much. I'm thinking of Mobiustrip and Sibirski Extreme, to name just a couple. So whilst I stay in the midst of my perpetual dreaming and planning for that ride when the kids are grown, I will keep coming back here to greedily soak up adventures from around the globe. And then, some 15 years from today, perhaps you will be reading my stories as I explore the back roads of Panama or finally ride through Tierra Del Fuego or ...
Your time will come. Just finished where you are at now, retire in 3 weeks, then on the road for a long trip. In the mean time ADV is next best.
TwoUpTourer is offline   Reply With Quote