Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Sergeant Joe OP
Sitrep=Snafu

Oddometer: 244
Norton gremlins

G'day guys,
I have a 1971 Norton Commando with a gremlin in the 'lektrizity.
The owner who gave it to me to sus out the problem could not get it to even light up off the keystart, no istrument lights, headlight ect and would blow fuse after fuse????
Well I did all my circuit tests and traced wire circuits for the whole bike.
In the end I found that if I disconected the rectifier and the Zenner diaod Blue/Brown wires the keystart would operate again and the red dashlight would light up, even the headlight would work!
So now I know it's one of these two buggers, however if I clip one or the other back on it's spade connecter.....off gose all lights and the fuse gets real hot or blows.
So this would make me think it's both the Rectifier & the Zenner Dioad that are stuffed.
Has anyone out there seen this before?
It's like when I connect one or the other or both up it robs the bike of current from the ignition barrel up to the front half of the bike! at the same time overloading the circuit at the back of the bike (around the battery area).
any ideas would be welcome thanks guys.
Sergeant Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Throw the regulator and diode away and get yourself a Tri spark unit ( Aussie)
http://www.trispark.com.au/
and go onto Access Norton Forum as what they don't know about Commandos is not worth knowing.
http://www.accessnorton.com/norton-commando-f1.html
Good luck with you Norton, they are way cool bikes, I love mine.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Sergeant Joe OP
Sitrep=Snafu

Oddometer: 244
Sorry, it's not the regulator thats a hassel as the bike has Boyer electronic ignition in it. it's the recterfier that bolts just to the LHS of where the rear of the main frame tube ends. the other one (Zenner dioad) is down near the foot rest on the RHS of the bike.

but thanks for the links they are good stuff.
Sergeant Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,083
Sorry, Sarge, you've hit the wrong beachead. This be the BMW Airheads section... you might get a wider audience over in Old's Cool (down the hall, second door to the right).

--Bill
Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Joe View Post
G'day guys,
I have a 1971 Norton Commando with a gremlin in the 'lektrizity.
The owner who gave it to me to sus out the problem could not get it to even light up off the keystart, no istrument lights, headlight ect and would blow fuse after fuse????
Well I did all my circuit tests and traced wire circuits for the whole bike.
In the end I found that if I disconected the rectifier and the Zenner diaod Blue/Brown wires the keystart would operate again and the red dashlight would light up, even the headlight would work!
So now I know it's one of these two buggers, however if I clip one or the other back on it's spade connecter.....off gose all lights and the fuse gets real hot or blows.
So this would make me think it's both the Rectifier & the Zenner Dioad that are stuffed.
Has anyone out there seen this before?
It's like when I connect one or the other or both up it robs the bike of current from the ignition barrel up to the front half of the bike! at the same time overloading the circuit at the back of the bike (around the battery area).
any ideas would be welcome thanks guys.

Of course we all know it's positive earth, so I won't even mention that.
I would get rid of the zener diodes and the bridge recifier at the earliest opportunity. There are many better options available today, most the same amount of money, and more reliable.
http://www.walridge.com/section/view/
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
The rectifier has at least three "spade" connectors on it. Which one are you pulling?

The rectifier and zener are both noted for causing shorts. I gave up on them when I found I could no longer buy a zener diode that either did not short or actually limit charging voltage. There are several encapsulated rectifier/regulators available; I like the Podtronics because it looks like it belongs on these bikes and is reasonably priced.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote