User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Bugger! Bedeviled By Buell Belts Busting

I can change a Uly belt on the side of the road with the tools I carry in 25 minutes, from dismount to riding off. How do I know? Late yesterday afternoon, after I got on the bike I looked at my phone and saw that it had been exactly 25 minutes since I had called Mrs. Skifast and told her I'd be late with the milk and eggs, as I had once again busted my belt.

Now, the fact that I can accomplish this task in such a short amount of time is in some ways, I suppose, a testament to the well thought out serviceability of the thing. But it is in no small part also due to the fact that I've had a bit more practice than I'd prefer.

This was the third time. First time, my 07 Uly had about 25K on it. Fortunately I had a spare belt, you might have read that account: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520934

The second time was last fall, on my 08 with approximately 13K on it. Last night the 08 again, now with 20K on the clock. So the trend is fewer miles between breaks. The belt that broke last night was latest generation.

Now I'm aware that three data points do not a trend make, and sometimes random events cluster but really, doesn't this seem a bit unusual? I don't wheelie (cripes, I'm 57 they only guy close to my age who wheelies is Pluric and he's nuts) and I don't do much off road.

I recently replaced the tires and followed the installation of the rear wheel to the letter, torque, loosen, torque.

Any ideas? And while I'm at it, anybody know if Badweb is down due to Sandy?

Thanks and ride safe.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Perhaps wallow out the idler pully hole to give ever so slightly more slack to the belt?

Other than that, buying the belts new and in the box? Eliminating the risk that someone previously kinked it or stored it wrong?

I'm quite convinced it's just a fluke 90% of the time the belts let go. But after 3 (at nearly $200 a pop) I'd be a little upset.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Uly Belts

Yes Bad Web is still down ARGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We put 65K on two belts on the 06 Uly

55K on the 07 beast, two belts

17K miles on the 08

Luckily no belt issues.

As Mike suggested, maybe a bit of garage engineering on the tensioner, Possibly swap the OEM one out for the high dollar UK model.

Good Luck

Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
I've put two on mine, all I know is drooping the suspension under power is bad. Even steady easy power like jumping off a 4in curb.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Now I'm aware that three data points do not a trend make, and sometimes random events cluster but really, doesn't this seem a bit unusual? I don't wheelie (cripes, I'm 57 they only guy close to my age who wheelies is Pluric and he's nuts) and I don't do much off road.

I recently replaced the tires and followed the installation of the rear wheel to the letter, torque, loosen, torque.

Any ideas? And while I'm at it, anybody know if Badweb is down due to Sandy?

Thanks and ride safe.
I've got a great idea. MOVE ON. Geez you're like a woman in an abusive relationship.
After a while you have to believe she enjoys getting beat up. How many more time does that
bike have to break down before you get it? It is great thread starting material.

Craig, get help. This is your online intervention. GET A FREAKING SHAFT!!!!

Oh and........

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post

One more thing, how do you not wheelie a Buell? It's like they were designed by Doug Domokos.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Perhaps wallow out the idler pully hole to give ever so slightly more slack to the belt?
That's what I'd do if I were you. Used a bit of care and a rat tail file on my own '09. Worked great.

Ran my tubers very loose and never had a belt issue with any of them. Including a '96 S1 that still had it's original belt after 45k miles and three years of track use.

Was just trying to connect to badweb (first time in several months) and wondered what was up.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
I only broke one belt before I sold my 09. I was told that a broken belt is the sign of a bad wheel bearing. Sure enough I looked and the bearing was bad. Luck was it was still under warranty. I tried for a 2010 wheel but caught it before any wheel damage so only bearing replacement.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #9
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,217
I'd tend to think something in the rear suspension/drive train is slightly out of spec, like the distance from the output sprocket to the wheel is slightly farther than spec, the idler roller sits a little too high, or maybe the axle and the output shaft aren't exactly parallel. Does the belt track straight? Does it show any signs of wear on either edge? I suppose something could be machined incorrectly or the swingarm bearings could be worn so that the rear axle doesn't remain parallel to the output shaft as the rear suspension compresses. I'd jack the bike up and make sure there's no play in the swingarm. If that's OK, slotting the idler roller bracket seems like a reasonable thing to try; that would compensate for one of the dimensions being off and causing the belt to be too tight.

It also couldn't hurt to contact Al Lighton at American Sport Bike and ask his advice and drop an e-mail to Erik Buell Racing as well. Somebody's bound to have a good idea of what the problem is.

Badweb is down apparently due to Sandy. The servers are located in central New Jersey. There's a Badweather Bikers group on Facebook if you need a fix in the meantime.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I've got a great idea. MOVE ON. Geez you're like a woman in an abusive relationship.
After a while you have to believe she enjoys getting beat up. How many more time does that
bike have to break down before you get it? It is great thread starting material.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
Never had any belt issues with my Buells in over 9 years of ownership, my '99 M2 is still on it's original belt.

For a tuber, run it as slack as you can get away with.

For an XB there's various points of view, Between doing nothing & fitting a modified Free-Spirits tensioner.
If you need info now, go to ukbeg.com

The Free-Spirits unit is generally reputed to be a good bit of kit but there's the odd story of them falling apart, everybody I know who's had one has been well pleased.

If your belt has been running so tight that it's snapped twice I'd say you've a problem. Slotting the hole may well do the trick for you, but I'd be checking the output shaft & wheel bearings too.

Maz at "The Emporium" can tell you all you need to know.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Yea, we all know how those things are absolutely bullet-proof and fault-free.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I just ordered a new belt so I have a spare for my 06 uly. only 7400 miles on it and never been changed AFAIK. My dealer said they just came off backorder last week and it was only $160.
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
Yea, we all know how those things are absolutely bullet-proof and fault-free.

My bad, Move on to anything that doesn't start with a B.

There's still enough room for a couple more. Craig?

pluric screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 12:46 PM
Old 11-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Regarding the setup, bearings and such, we're talking about two different bikes here the only common demominator (besides both being Ulys) is the rider. I don't think I beat the things. And even at 180/belt, I think it's a better deal than dealing with a chain every couple of hundred miles, if they last 8-9K. I'll start sweating when the belts are no longer available, that's when the price of these bikes will go through the floor.

Rick, I knew I'd draw you out. Shame on you for that wheelie photo, not very ATGATT of you. Setting a bad example for the young'uns, you know.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote