User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
VMO OP
Farmer Warrior

Oddometer: 61
Talk me out of this.............

.............. or, tell me this a great idea!

Thinking of buying a new BMW S1000RR

Anyone have personal experience w/ this bike? Or is the CBR1000RR nearly as good for a slightly lower price?

VMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMO View Post
.............. or, tell me this a great idea!

Thinking of buying a new BMW S1000RR

Anyone have personal experience w/ this bike? Or is the CBR1000RR nearly as good for a slightly lower price?

planning on doing some trackdays are we??
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
It's a great bike, especially for the price. The Honda is also a great bike (really almost all the brands are), but the BMW has the options for TC and all of that, which is a great safety bonus. Out of all the literbikes, if I was looking for a sportbike like that, the best (meaning most fun) one I've ridden is the Aprilia RSV4 Factory. That would be my current choice (bearing in mind that I haven't ridden the new Ducati 1199 Panigale yet, and would have to give that a fair shot).

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (229,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,446
Go ahead. You will be pleased with the bike.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Money no object liter bike for me? 2012 RC8.

If it was my money, 2012 GSXR 1000, CBR1000RR, or R1.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
If you honestly plan on doing track days, or have great twisties nearby, it's and awesome bike.

If not, then consider other bikes. I've have one, and after 50 miles I want to park it. Riding it makes me think about my freedom, license, and my family. It is that fast.

I've been riding sport bikes fir 20+ years - since I was 16. I raced for 5 years, 4 of them expert, and even holding and AMA pro card.

It's an awesome bike, the best IMHO (I've ridden the Ape and the Panigale). Just bear in mind it is NARROWLY focused. I'm thinking of trading mine in for a sport tourer
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,029
How big are you?

I'm 6'2. I put about 25 miles on one at a demo day. Hated it. Couldn't wait to get off it. A pure torture rack.

I lean more towards a K1300, K1600GT, Concours14, ZX-14, Busa.

No doubt it will rip though.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
How big are you?

I'm 6'2. I put about 25 miles on one at a demo day. Hated it. Couldn't wait to get off it. A pure torture rack.

I lean more towards a K1300, K1600GT, Concours14, ZX-14, Busa.

No doubt it will rip though.
Not sure if you're asking me or the OP. I'm 143 lbs and 5'8". Loved mine on the test ride. Started to think I bought the wrong bike as I rode it more and more.

It's an awesome bike. Just that my riding preferences have changed, and the roads out here are ok at best. Too fast to be fun and remain relatively safe.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
I've tested them at the track...

The BMW, no doubt about it, I wouldn't think about it twice. The CBR 1000 has the same funky ergos I don't like about my 600RR, but I can live with that. It's just the way the bike rides, and the power, and the electronics and the ergos... LOL!

On top of that, the BMW can make for a very good street bike, unlike more track oriented bikes, like the RSV4.

The only other bike that comes close to the BMW, IMHO, is the Kawa ZX-10R... Which I would never buy just because it's a Kawasaki, and my past experiences with Kawasaki have been... bad.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
Money no object liter bike for me? 2012 RC8.

If it was my money, 2012 GSXR 1000, CBR1000RR, or R1.
Have you ridden one? I've testridden the standard RC8 twice, and didn't like it. The ride in 2010 showed that they had paid some attention; it was better than the ride in 2008 had been. But it still had a long way to go compared to the Ducatis, or any of the fours. Although I haven't ridden an RC8R yet (and definitely want to, as the reviews say that version has fixed most of the things I didn't like about the standard RC8).

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (229,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,729
It'll either tickle your speed itch, or be a huge regret. I find no middle ground with this bike.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Actually, I'll modify my answer a bit. Counter to what many here are saying, if I was looking to get a liter-class sportbike and was going to use it for a wide variety of uses, the BMW might well get the nod. I've ridden it three times, and found it highly capable and versatile. I'm physically not big, and found that it was pretty comfy and it felt like I could do long days on it. Large people (apparently) don't find it comfy, but those people will likely find its competitors to be even worse. If I was looking to get a liter-class sportbike strictly for sporting and trackdays, and had other bikes for other purposes -- well what I actually plan to do for that is get a nice Ducati 998, but for a new bike -- I'd be sure to test the 1199 Panigale and the RC8R first to be sure, but odds are it would be the RSV4. I've ridden both the RSV4R and the RSV4 Factory, and liked the Factory better, so I'd probably plump for a top version with all the nice bits. YM(and budget)MV.

PhilB
Old 10-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,144
I haven't ridden the other bikes mentioned, just a friends S1000RR.

It's got all kinds of "electric nannies" to protect you from yourself, including an adjustable traction control, an optional shifter so you don't have to release your clutch hand from the bars, etc.

I got on a fairly straight piece of highway. At about 100 MPH, downshifted a couple of gears, and nailed it. The rate of acceleration and the power needed to stay holding onto the bars was amazing. A quick look down, saw 160, and it's STILL pulling ridiculously hard. At 170 it's still pulling hard, but I suddenly remembered seeing those smears of red on the highway after car/deer encounters, and figured I'd tested it enough.

Oh, and that straight highway wasn't as straight as I thought it was. And now I understand why you don't want to let go of the bars to shift.

But I never really felt unsafe on that bike, regardless of speed. So, can't compare it to the Honda, all I can say is the BMW is one hell of a bike.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
VMO OP
Farmer Warrior

Oddometer: 61
Thanks guys......... keep the comments coming...

I have ridden the CBR but not the S1000RR. I am 6 ft, 215 lbs and the CBR riding position was OK. What I have read about the BMW leads me to believe it is quite a machine for $16k. I plan on using it for a variety of purposes including occasional commuting although I have an 800XC as a primary commuter bike. Any comments about S1000RR reliability? That could be something that would change my mind toward something else.
VMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Sindarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I had a '08 CBR1000RR which is similar to the current bike. Great bike at the time however I ended up getting rid of it due to it burning oil like a two cycle. Moved to a '09 R1 which was a mistake. Felt heavy, lacked power, brakes felt wooden (took a lot of effort at the lever and little feedback). Currently own a '11 S1000RR and love it. Very flickable with a low center of gravity which makes it comfortable right away. It doesn't have the mid range power of the CBR but more then makes up for it in top end. Brakes are awesome, great initial bite and feedback. I had considered another CBR and a '11 ZX10 before picking up the S1000RR but the CBR has no available traction control. I wanted ABS and the ABS ZX10 got mediocre reviews and you couldn't switch it off which was a no go for me. As far as reliability, I've read some of the early '10 models grenading engines. I imagine overall reliability isn't as good as the Japanese bikes but with a 3 year/36K warranty I'm not to worried. I've had no problems with my bike.

I can't compare to a RSV4 or Panigale since I've never ridden either however I won't touch anything Italian. Seen far to many Ducatis grenade/start pissing oil at track days and have heard Aprillia parts can be difficult to get.

Ergos. I'm 6'3" 140lbs, and, well, its a sport bike so long distance for me is a no go but I can usually get 100 miles or so before my right knee really starts hurting but thats due to a bunch of titanium in my right femur. I have other bikes for riding long distance.

Personally I would go to your BMW dealer and ask to take one for a test ride and decide for yourself. Thats one thing I like about BMW, I can go down to my local dealer and ask to take any bike for a test ride and they just throw me the keys and say see you in an hour. That has never happened when I was looking at a Japanese bike, and I've made a mistake purchase because I thought I'd like a bike when I didn't after riding it.

If you are looking for a sport bike the S1000RR definitely should be on your short list.
Sindarin is offline   Reply With Quote