Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #16
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
BMW dealers are usually pretty great about demo rides. Stop by and see if you can take one for a spin or even overnight.

Personally I think the most important thing with a modern liter bike is your own comfort on it. Unless you are doing 100MPH+ full throttle runs often, you won't notice the difference in power. Honda is offering some nice incentives right now on their bikes as the riding season is winding down, I think I've seen 1000RR for 2-3 grand off MSRP. The BMWs are still in demand so I haven't seen as many deals on them.

Personally for my money I'd spend a little more and go with an RSV4. I'm waiting on the updated ergos and ABS for the 2013 model.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #17
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Have you ridden one? I've testridden the standard RC8 twice, and didn't like it. The ride in 2010 showed that they had paid some attention; it was better than the ride in 2008 had been. But it still had a long way to go compared to the Ducatis, or any of the fours. Although I haven't ridden an RC8R yet (and definitely want to, as the reviews say that version has fixed most of the things I didn't like about the standard RC8).

PhilB
No I ahvent ridden it..this si purely emotional lust for the bike.

What did you not like about the RC8?
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,056
for an inline four s1k is the one to get. its really docile around town and at low speeds. with some helibars it's comfy enough to go on trips. a friend who owns one is 6'2". he lowered the pegs bout 1/2 ". he is fine with the ergos despite having knee surgery years ago

I raised the pegs on mine with rearsets. Im 5'9"

I think Rsv4 is a better track weapon and rc8r a better handling bike but s1k is the best compromise of them all. it's also the HP king

you get a 3 year warranty for the beemer too

you can tell where bmw saved money....thinner paint/coating on cheaper wheels, cheaper plastic trim piece but it is stuff you won't notice when you are riding this fantastic machine
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
No I ahvent ridden it..this si purely emotional lust for the bike.

What did you not like about the RC8?
Here are my write-ups from each ride. First ride, 2008:
Quote:
Originally Posted by philb
The KTM RC8 looks just about as ugly in real life as in pictures. Origami master – makes 1000 peace cranes and a motorcycle. Even the seat edges are angled and beveled, not rounded; sitting on one on the show floor, it felt like that would be quite uncomfortable, especially at stoplights and such, but in action it wasn’t so bad. Seat was still a plank, though. They had not too bad a route laid out, and I could get some feel for it. It’s certainly got whoosh. Feed it a bit of throttle in third, and 100mph happens *right now!* Overall, though, I wasn’t highly impressed. I recognize that my preferences lie in good all-rounder bikes, and that this is intended as much more of a hard-edged sportbike than that – much more to compete with the 1098/1198 than with the HyperMotard or Monster. But still, hard-edged seemed too much the operative word here. It rode a lot like it looks; all angles and pointy bits. The throttle was very abrupt both on and off, suspension was harsh, brakes hard to modulate, everything felt sharp. And, although it isn’t a Rotax engine, I think some of the same engineers were involved, and it feels and sounds like one. Which to me is not a good thing. I’ve never cottoned to Aprilias because of the feel and sound of their engines, and the Buell 1125 (even though it is an entirely different engine) has the same general NVH, feel, and sound, which to me is one of the biggest minuses of that bike. The KTM also has that sensation – not quite smooth or balanced, exhaust note kind of flat, not with the nice roundness that a 90º twin like a Ducati or Guzzi gets.
Second ride 2010:
Quote:
Originally Posted by philb
Better, but still not good enough. Throttle much better, handling improved, suspension action and compliance better. Brake action also seemed improved. Engine NVH still not so good, and shifting still notchy and clunky; very hard to find neutral.

Comfort and appearance and sound still not to my taste.

Progress has definitely been made, but has a ways to go to measure up to the bikes it competes with like the Ducati 1198.
PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Phil, I have to disagree with you on the looks, but thats ok..its a subjective area, so there SHOULD be differing opinions. I too noticed the edge of the seat, the hardness didnt bother me...sitting in the showroom.

I cant comment on the riding experience. Maybe I should show up on my Ninja 650(5th bike Ive owned..) and ask for a test ride..lol. That way I can comment on it.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
Phil, I have to disagree with you on the looks, but thats ok..its a subjective area, so there SHOULD be differing opinions. I too noticed the edge of the seat, the hardness didnt bother me...sitting in the showroom.

I cant comment on the riding experience. Maybe I should show up on my Ninja 650(5th bike Ive owned..) and ask for a test ride..lol. That way I can comment on it.
I don't know about the dealers, but KTM is pretty active with a testride demo truck; it shows up at a lot of bike shows and events. You probably could get its schedule online and arrange to go to it somewhere, if the local dealer isn't good with testrides. I *very* firmly believe in testrides these days, and would never buy a bike without a good ride or two on it beforehand.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #22
VMO OP
Farmer Warrior

Oddometer: 61
New S1000RR for me.....

Well, you guys were not very convincing at talking me out of this, so.....

Test rode an S1000RR the other day and placed a deposit on a 2013 tri-color (red, white, blue) unit. It just arrived on east coast and should be here in New Mexico in about 7 days (my birthday).....................

VMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMO View Post

Test rode an S1000RR the other day and placed a deposit on a 2013 tri-color (red, white, blue) unit. It just arrived on east coast and should be here in New Mexico in about 7 days (my birthday).....................

If you're into big speed and corner carving/trackdays you'll love it.......but if its just going to be a closer to normal speeds streetbike/commuter/distance rider you may regret the purchase. Like someone else mentioned its a narrow-focus bike. I went through the repli-racer phase myself.....they're fun for awhile, but can become garage ornaments quicker than other types of bikes if you try and use them for other than their intended purpose. If you're a racer/hooligan/wheelie type tho you'll love the thing
Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #24
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
If you're into big speed and corner carving/trackdays you'll love it.......but if its just going to be a closer to normal speeds streetbike/commuter/distance rider you may regret the purchase. Like someone else mentioned its a narrow-focus bike. I went through the repli-racer phase myself.....they're fun for awhile, but can become garage ornaments quicker than other types of bikes if you try and use them for other than their intended purpose. If you're a racer/hooligan/wheelie type tho you'll love the thing
My impression was that the S1000RR was very civilized at street speeds. If he physically fits it well enough to not be uncomfortable on it, there's no reason to expect he would regret using it for "closer to normal speeds streetbike/commuter/distance rider ".

PhilB

PhilB screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 01:25 PM
Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMO View Post

Congratulations, and Happy Birthday!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #26
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
If you honestly plan on doing track days, or have great twisties nearby, it's and awesome bike.

If not, then consider other bikes. I've have one, and after 50 miles I want to park it. Riding it makes me think about my freedom, license, and my family. It is that fast.

I've been riding sport bikes fir 20+ years - since I was 16. I raced for 5 years, 4 of them expert, and even holding and AMA pro card.

It's an awesome bike, the best IMHO (I've ridden the Ape and the Panigale). Just bear in mind it is NARROWLY focused. I'm thinking of trading mine in for a sport tourer
This. A viscously fast (and I mean that in a GOOD WAY! ) bike, but on public roads a 250 can get you thrown in jail. I find myself continually riding 50% above posted speed limits on an antique Britbike.. riding slow on a FAST bike is just boring as shit. Just my worthless opinion.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
My impression was that the S1000RR was very civilized at street speeds. If he physically fits it well enough to not be uncomfortable on it, there's no reason to expect he would regret using it for "closer to normal speeds streetbike/commuter/distance rider ".

PhilB
That depends on what bikes he's coming off of and what he's used to. As far as dedicated sportbikes go the BMW isn't bad comfort wise, so if you're coming off a sportbike ergonomically styled machine it might be fine. If you're coming off a ds or more relaxed riding position machine its going to take some getting used to, and will never be a comfy long distance mount. Thats where multiple bikes come into play
Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,056
that's what I like about this bike. very smooth and tractable while riding slow on the streets. twist it past 10k and 70-160mph in a flash. I did it a few times out on empty high desert roads.

going to the track next week. 150mph on the front straight at laguna seca should be easy.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
That depends on what bikes he's coming off of and what he's used to. As far as dedicated sportbikes go the BMW isn't bad comfort wise, so if you're coming off a sportbike ergonomically styled machine it might be fine. If you're coming off a ds or more relaxed riding position machine its going to take some getting used to, and will never be a comfy long distance mount. Thats where multiple bikes come into play
It also depends on the physical fit, and the fitness, of the rider. I would guess you would say that the Ducati Monster would 'never be a comfy long distance mount', yet mine is for me. Indeed, for me the Monster obviated the need for multiple different bikes. It does everything useful well, except carry a passenger very far, and I solved that by getting my wife her own Monster.

PhilB
Old 11-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #30
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,246
This bike is Sooo subjective... Don't pay any attention to the nay sayers.

I'm in my 60's and took one of the early ones out for a run. Loved it and had heavy lust. I had a chance to take it out for over a 100 mile run and a couple hours (enough to have to put fuel in it) on a second test. I'm 6'2" and 200 or so lbs. I got off that bike no worse for wear than any other bike I ride or have ridden.

It truley is a surgical instrument. The ONLY thing you'll have to watch out for is your license. It does like to go fast.

Regretfully I decided it wasn't for me and I opted for a new GS.

Congrats on your choice!!!

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote