Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Thats just rude, makes it even ruder when its your friend doing it. Friends should know not to screw with your property. I'd say its grounds for an asskicking (verbal).
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
Why did someone trying to start it blow a fuse..?..thats what I would be worried about..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #18
bess227
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran Noob View Post
That is very risky. Mid eighties, some friends and I are standing outside my car after leaving a restaurant (one of my friends having a post meal smoke; no smoking in my car). Couple spots over is a guy sitting on a 650 Nighthawk twisting on the throttle and talking to a small group of people standing around him. Up walks this kid, on the smaller side, couldn't have been more than 18 (he looked about 15). Kid takes the helmet off the bar and stands there looking at the guy. Laughing, the guy gets off the bike and says something like "oh, this is yours, nice bike, here, you can have it back." Without preamble or any other indication, kid smashes helmet in to guys face. He followed that up with 3 or 4 more shots while the guy is on the ground. One of my buddies on the passenger side of my car stepped in when it looked like one of the guys buddies was going to intervene. Kid gets done and says "get your own F*****g bike, a**hole." Guy's head and face are a gory mess, he's sobbing and one of the girls with him runs in to the restaurant to call the police (uh, what about an ambulance?). We tell the kid to beat it and it couldn't have been more than two minutes after the he's gone that the first squad car pulled up. Guy had four friends with him and none of them thought to get the kid's plate. I don't think the cops believed us when we told them it looked like the guy was trying to make off with the bike, but they didn't have much sympathy for the guy when they found out he was dickin' around on some strangers bike. One of them asked the guy's friends what they would do if they were to find some stranger sitting in their car playing with the buttons. We gave our names and contact info, left and never heard anything else about it.
that is a great story.........not that i am a violent person (at least not anymore.......too much work and it hurts more now). that kind of person (the guy on the bike) does that because they have gotten away with that crap their whole lives and no one has called them out on it. the kid was probably a little "over reactive" ..........but..........ole bike sitter has probably not sat on another one he didn't buy.
bess227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,116
Fortunately, I don't have any of "those" friends. If I did, they wouldn't be my friend much longer. Jokes are acceptable, but someone who fucks with my stuff when they have no idea what they're doing is not someone I want to spend much time with.

I'm really having a tough time figuring out what the OP's "friend" was doing. Did he think you didn't realize the bike wasn't running? You were standing right there. Why not ask you before just hopping on and cranking it over? I'm baffled.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

The only time that happened with a bike was my wifes younger brother.I just pulled into the house and he was at the bottom of my yard trying to kick it over..It was a good thing he was to stupid to figure out how to started..I didn't say crap to him because it was about as useless as talkingt a wall.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
craftsmanracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Not my bike, but something I witnessed at a local bike meet.

Guy trying to sell his bike, talking to a potential buyer.

You sure your confident riding this?

Oh yeah! I've had tons of waaay faster bikes GSXR, etc etc.

The power comes on a little different tha... buyer interrupts him rudely by starting it up. (open chambers, not mufflers to speak of)

Anyway, the dumbass hit the powerband of this H2 750 TRIPLE in second gear, and wheelies across the parking lot into one of those concrete guard poles outside of a bank drive thru. He hits his leg on the corner of an atm machine, breaks it pretty good too.

But the bike... oh my god the bike was destroyed. Beautiful all original except for engine mods i guess, cuz it sounded hella good. Broke handlebars, dented tank, cracked frame by steering neck.

Luckily the seller had the sense of mind to have cash in hand before he let the tard test drive. He handed him the title while he was on the gurney LOLOLOL.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsmanracer View Post
...Luckily the seller had the sense of mind to have cash in hand before he let the tard test drive. He handed him the title while he was on the gurney LOLOLOL.
Very smart.

1. One of my brother's friends hopped on his quad while the motocross style helmet was sitting on the fender. It fell just right to break the sun visor in half. Not that big of a deal for my bro, but some riders would consider that helmet written off after it hit the ground. With the price of helmets these days, that could be an expensive mistake.

2. A couple of weeks ago, I met a group of guys at a restaurant. The last guy there noticed the keys in the ignition of another guy's work truck, and moved to the other side of the restaurant. When we all came out, it was all he could do to keep from laughing as the guy began to panic. The owner took it well, but I could tell he wasn't pleased that his truck full of tools had been parked out back for an hour.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
2. A couple of weeks ago, I met a group of guys at a restaurant. The last guy there noticed the keys in the ignition of another guy's work truck, and moved to the other side of the restaurant. When we all came out, it was all he could do to keep from laughing as the guy began to panic. The owner took it well, but I could tell he wasn't pleased that his truck full of tools had been parked out back for an hour.
He should be quite pleased to have found it there. Apparently where it was parked made no difference if they didn't notice it gone the entire hour, and someone else noticing the KEYS IN THE IGNITION might have taken that as an invitation to hold a tool sale two counties over.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky View Post
Fortunately, I don't have any of "those" friends. If I did, they wouldn't be my friend much longer. Jokes are acceptable, but someone who fucks with my stuff when they have no idea what they're doing is not someone I want to spend much time with.

I'm really having a tough time figuring out what the OP's "friend" was doing. Did he think you didn't realize the bike wasn't running? You were standing right there. Why not ask you before just hopping on and cranking it over? I'm baffled.
Well, technically, I was sitting down putting my shoes on, but he wasn't thinking. After I busted his balls about it, he apologized and was quite sincere. I don't think he was aware how it would come across. He's early twenties and kind of acts before he thinks most of the time. Self control low on his skill set. But a genuine good guy who'd trade the shirt off his back if it'd help you. So he stays a friend.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,079
On the other side of the coin, I jumped on my GF's (at the time) SV650 a few years ago for a short trip to the hardware store (2 miles away). Rather than the boring straight shot, I thought I would scrub the chicken strips on the curvy road over the mountain. I met a Honda Accord mid-turn and chose the shoulder over the car. Luckily, I was able to lay it down, rather than crashing it, although the subsequent guardrail totaled the bike.

She was understanding about the whole thing, and still is.

My dad came by my work today and was looking at my bike, and hefted it off the sidestand, and it almost pitched over onto its other side. I was surprised he saved it. BUT, when I think of all his stuff that I either lost or broke over the years, how could I even begin to be mad, if he'd dropped it?

Complete strangers, however, deserve a push or a shove. Or grab a handful of his woman's bewbies.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,372
Layer it down huh? Bullshit you crashed.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,335
I did once have a roommate take my bike for a joyride while I was on vacation a few years back. He didn't crash it or anything, but I noticed the extra miles on the odometer. That bike was my main means of transportation at the time, if he'd wrecked it I'd have been screwed trying to get to work. He couldn't understand why I was pissed off at him. I don't get why some people just see motorcycles as toys that should be shared.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #28
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Talking

This thread makes me remember a wreck from years ago..

I was waiting at my house for a buddy to show up..at the time we would go out a few nights a week..He has late...when he showed he told me about another friend seeing him and his brother at a local park and asking to take the bike for a ride..I guess the brother was real weary...but he says yeah go for a ride..well the idiot was passing a car around a blind corner.. truck in the oppisite lane..He ended up wrecked in the field...Broke his Femur and got banged up...
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #29
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Why the heck do I keep getting smilies in my title part...I don't put them there..??.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #30
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
Why the heck do I keep getting smilies in my title part...I don't put them there..??.
Must be your bubbly personality coming through...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote