ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #32
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,326
Going back to the original post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
but what stuff have your non-riding friends screwed up just by not knowing much about bikes?
I thought about it, and... I don't have any "non-riding friends".

Probably any that would be got tired of hearing me blather on about racing, or fun roads, or {brand} bashing, or...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #33
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Going back to the original post...
I thought about it, and... I don't have any "non-riding friends".

Probably any that would be got tired of hearing me blather on about racing, or fun roads, or {brand} bashing, or...
So you're about the "lifestyle?"

Kidding. You definitely love to ride.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #34
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,989
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Gary View Post
There's nothing like a clueless ass grabbing the throttle and twisting it to redline and beyond while the bike is sitting there idling to warm up because you just started it after four hours on the golf course.
College kids on my block do that pretty much everytime they start their bike,its a statement of some sort. Second it fires............pin it! make the rev limiter work for it's living. Cold engines can rev high it turns out. Same guys that ride around wearing flip flops/shorts/sleeveless T shirt on a 186 mph sportbike.
And really,why not?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I used to have one of those clamp on type of cruise controls on my GS1100E, and my brother would turn it on full throttle, and clamp it down. Go to start it, instant redline. So I would pull one or both of his outer spark plug wires loose, not off, just loose, it would start and idle fine, but under a good load, would start to miss, usually he remembered, but every once in a while he would reach down and push it back on, get the shit shocked out of him. What else are brothers for? Or turning off the gas. Or turning the idle up to 4000 rpm.

I love you, brother.
Ive got a longtime ex racer bud,weve done many coast trips on bikes. The trick is to fly by,reach over and flick his kill switch off in a blur. Its got to happen quick and smooth.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 02:58 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #36
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I did once have a roommate take my bike for a joyride while I was on vacation a few years back. He didn't crash it or anything, but I noticed the extra miles on the odometer. That bike was my main means of transportation at the time, if he'd wrecked it I'd have been screwed trying to get to work. He couldn't understand why I was pissed off at him. I don't get why some people just see motorcycles as toys that should be shared.
Hah! Roommate stories are the best! I once absconded with a way too drunk roommate's girl,he brought her home but was slobbering knee crawling drunk,she wanted a ride home so I did so.

While I was gone,Kermit (real name) drug my KTM420 out of the garage and started kicking it and kicking it till it started,didnt know about the choke. Then in shorts and no shirt/helmet began ripping up and down the suburban street in ft of the house,eventually working up some decent wheelies so I heard later,of course he looped it out in at least 3rd gear. Amazingly the bike had not much damage,narrowly missed tagging a parked car.
I walked by his room after I got home,lights were on,he was out cold,big blood stains spreading from his knees on to the sheets,back all hamburgered up,elbows ground raw,appeared as if he had a good time.

I thought it was so funny I didnt even give him much shit over it,he replaced what ever he jacked up on the bike.

Roommates can be hilarious!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #37
paulom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hello, n00b here.

While we're on this subject, what would be an acceptable reaction to finding an a-hole co-worker trying your brand new bike and almost demanding you to let him ride it?
paulom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #38
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,259
One of my co-workers took it upon himself to be helpful and turn off the BT intercom on my helmet. Unfortunately, he set the language to Russian instead. It took me some time to get it back to English...
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #39
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulom View Post
Hello, n00b here.

While we're on this subject, what would be an acceptable reaction to finding an a-hole co-worker trying your brand new bike and almost demanding you to let him ride it?
Its only $X, if I could afford one on our salary, so can you.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #40
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
See my previous post

Quote:
Hello, n00b here.

4 or 5 shots with your helmet about his head and shoulders should cure him.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #41
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,435
This guy is not my friend, but a childhood friend of my brothers who resurfaced recently.

We were at my family farm. Childhood-friend invited himself (something that became a habit, unfortunately). My brothers coworker was there with a Honda ATC. Coworker crashed and broke his collar bone. Another friend drove him to the hospital. Childhood-friend proceeds to ride the absolute piss out of the ATC while coworker was gone. Then, found coworkers keys and 4-wheeled the piss out of the guys Ram the rest of the day. Now, not only am I a wuss, but he's about the biggest guy I've ever met.. so there wasn't much I could do to persuade him to not be suck a cockholster.

I could go on and on about that guy..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran Noob View Post
4 or 5 shots with your helmet about his head and shoulders should cure him.
Since your company HR policy probably has something to say about this, it might not be the best option.

But you could always suggest the, "tell you what... I'll let you ride my baby if you let me ride your wife/gf/sister/mom. If that doesn't get it across, not much will. I suggest this line, tailored to your own taste:

"I only let people I trust ride my bike. And I don't trust you. "

Cheers,

Cade
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #43
StudlySteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Hello, n00b here.

Calmly tell him to get off your bike and that you do not want him to ride it.

He'll probably respond, "but...(something he thinks that will persuade you)", to which your response should be "no".

As he persists just stay strong and continue to either ignore him or just say "no" calmly.

Don't let him get under your skin, and don't elevate the situation because he's an asshole and his whole goal is to annoy you and get what he wants.

He'll give up after a while.
StudlySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #44
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,613
Stranger (or work associate, whatever): "Hey, nice bike! Let me take it for a ride?"

Me: [Silence]

Stranger: "Just 'round the block"

Me: [Silence]

Stranger: "I CAN ride a bike."

Me (placing keys in pocket): "Not this one, you can't!"

End of conversation
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #45
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Hello, n00b here.

Coworker: *demands to ride my new bike*
Me: No.
Coworker: *wheedling attempts at persuation*
Me: If you don't get the phuck off my bike I'll cut your head off in your sleep and schitt down your throat.