no such luck

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #62
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Y'all need to buy a KTM with a nice intimidating 37" seat height.

People sitting on or wanting to ride my bike has never been a problem for me.

But I did come out of a store and find a toddler playing under it once.
Hey man, can I take your bike for a ride?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #63
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfixer View Post
Hey man, can I take your bike for a ride?
That depends entirely on what you hand me the keys to ride.

Besides, it isn't like you could crash it any worse than I have.

One of my friends snatched the 640 and took off a couple of weeks ago just to see how he liked it. Try chasing down your own 640 on a bone stock XR650L.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #64
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
1; Neighbor's 5 year old son painted my entire Honda CB750F dull housepaint brown. Took my neighbor many many hours to clean the paint off. I was still finding bits of brown paint hidden away in the crevices of that bike years later. Later when I spotted the little brat abusing my cat for the second time, I corrected his behavior myself in a most direct fashion by doing exactly what I said I would do, throwing him over the fence into his mother's compost heap--kid suddenly became my best buddy because, I guess, I was the only adult around him who would set a limit and follow though with the consequences.

2. Friend "borrowed" his girlfriend's brother's Norton for a joyride. Ran wide around a corner and hit a car dead center headon. Killed him and the three people in the car. I assume the bike's owner was upset but with all that grief consuming everyone, I never found out.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #65
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
That depends entirely on what you hand me the keys to ride.

Besides, it isn't like you could crash it any worse than I have.

One of my friends snatched the 640 and took off a couple of weeks ago just to see how he liked it. Try chasing down your own 640 on a bone stock XR650L.
A pristine DRZ! You coming to Hammer? If New Jersey is still there...
Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #66
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Was I the "Friend"

A few years back I had a KLR 650. A younger friend and I were going to hit some back country streams for some native trout fishing. The ride had a nice twisty section (PA Rt. 44 just south of Haneyville) I was going at a pretty constant 45-50 MPH on my Dunlop D606's. The younger, less experienced rider was following on a CBR600F4 which he recently purchased from a private seller. There are some nice sweepers and the ride is nice and smooth until one section over a bridge with a tight left hand turn. My less experienced friend had fallen behind me and was trying catch up on the "straight" sections between the turns. I realized (too late) this turn was tighter than the rest so I slowed down to let him catch up...Then I stopped...Then I turned around and went back. My fears were confirmed with a smashed up bike and a rider laying on the side of the road. I asked if he was OK and he said my butt hurts. It turns out the only big rock on the bank somehow ended up square between his butt cheeks. Other than a few bruises he was OK. The bike was all cosmetic but the front end was all shattered and not really ridable. Some nice ladies in a Subaru gave my friend a ride back down to the nearest town while I followed. I called my wife who then brought the truck. We loaded the bike and headed home.

Lessons learned:
1. The slow bike is not always the slowest.
2. When you buy a used bike make sure the PO didn't armorall the tires! (He shouldn't have crashed if he had good rubber)
3. Scrub in your tires if unsure.
4. Be a real friend...Let the slow guy lead and don't push. (Don't be "That Guy")
5. Veen get too schoon olt, en too late schmart. (Placard from my Grandmother's Kitchen)
Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #67
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfixer View Post
A pristine DRZ! You coming to Hammer? If New Jersey is still there...
We have power and Internet back.

Wish I could. But I gotta take my wife to the airport. Which means I have the next Saturday to ride and can't find any open trails for the MXC. So i guess it will be a long street ride on the 640.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #68
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,512
A friend had just gotten a new K11LT. He babied it. Used the official BMW oil funnel to keep the oil level precisely where it was supposed to be, kept the tire pressure exactly as dictated...blah, blah, blah.

He finally relented to my pestering about a ride. He cautioned me that it was still in the "break-in" period and to not ride it like I rode my bike (a 95 Concours). So off we go up Passo Falzarego. I kept it under 4000rpm like he told me until I eased away from him.

As we parked at the top and I told him about what a sweet ride it was and how I babied it, never revved it past 4k....etc.

He walked over and made a guttural grunting sound, a sound of swelling rage.

Red-faced, he turned and lit into me about abusing his bike.

WTF? How did he know how I rode it?

Turns out that his tach had a defect and the needle was stuck right at the max revs I hit...IOW, redline.

Oof.

He never let me ride another bike but remained a friend for many years.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #69
MotorCade OP
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Your friend is anal-retentive. I had a friend like that - actually learned to drive stick shift with him in college (in his saturn) I got the hang of first really quick and went to shift to second and he got loud. "No! Today is only for first gear! We'll work on reverse tomorrow! No second gear!" or something to that effect.

It was a hoot watching him try to pump his own gas for the first time (he was from NJ). Had the manual open and everything - read all the instructions on the pump. I tried to help him, but he waved me off. Had to do it by the book.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #70
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
ONLY after you let me ride your wife...

Better to take a good look first. She may not be worth the trade....
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #71
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,587
I'd be irritated if one of my friends sat on one of my bikes without asking first.

If I caught them trying to start it and breaking something in the process they would end up unconscious next to it.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #72
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
My brother-in-law was visiting us right after I got my Vstrom 1000. My wife got really pissed off when I told her I wasn't going to let him ride it (she's overly protective / sensitive about / of her family) No way was I going to let a guy who to my knowledge has only ridden scooters (and crashed the last one badly) get on a 1000 cc, heavy bike. She couldn't understand my reluctance and took it that l was questioning his manhood or something. He never asked to even sit on it, so I never needed to embarrass him by refusing.

On the other side of the coin, big bikes are fairly unusual here, so I get a lot of people wanting to take photos with it. If they are tall enough or they have a little kid, I usually let them sit on it for the picture... With one hand on a grip just in case! It makes their day since a 10 grand toy is waaay out of their reach.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #73
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
It was a hoot watching him try to pump his own gas for the first time (he was from NJ).
Last time I was in NJ for work,I had the rental car because I was staying longer than my cow-orkers. Running a bit late headed for the airport, I slammed into a gas station and did my best impression of a race car fuel stop- swiped card had nozzle in the filler before the pump turned on, hung nozzle up and was rolling before I had my seatbelt on.

The attendant was screaming something from the island on the other side of thhe station. I never figured out what until weeks later. I know I'm from Oregon, where I'm too dumb to pump my own gas, but I thought the other no-self-serve state was Maine.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #74
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulom View Post
Hello, n00b here.

While we're on this subject, what would be an acceptable reaction to finding an a-hole co-worker trying your brand new bike and almost demanding you to let him ride it?
Hey Paulo,

Can I take my wife for a ride on your bike next time we are in Portugal?

Jim

PS My wife is from Portugal, the North near Braga, and has a place in Lisbon.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #75
paulom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Hey Paulo,

Can I take my wife for a ride on your bike next time we are in Portugal?

Jim

PS My wife is from Portugal, the North near Braga, and has a place in Lisbon.
DAMN! No quick and witty comeback right now. But I guess sure, why not, that is if she's into BMWs (it's a F800R, BTW).

PS I live not far from Braga, near Porto.
paulom is offline   Reply With Quote