User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Oddometer: 47
Kyrgyz Bikers?

Been living and working here in Bishkek a little over a month and just bought a 1994 Dominator and looking forward to riding the region (as soon as I get a helmet). Just figured I'd reach out and see who else might be in the area.

Now riding Central Asia on a black 1994 Dominator.
still southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,239
Point bike toward either Issyk Kul, or Osh, and prepare to fall in love.
SR1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Point bike toward either Issyk Kul, or Osh, and prepare to fall in love.
Haven't made it to Osh yet, but since we've (my wife and I) have been here a month we have made it out to Issyk Kul...loved it, but admittedly I've like the mountain Jailoo better. My next long weekend won't be until the end of October...do you know if it would it be too late then for a bike trip to Osh?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

They will try to keep the road open, but it's hard to say about the weather. Man that is one awesome road.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Be forewarned though, people in Osh are not especially friendly to Westerners. I was threatened a couple of times in just a day's worth of visiting. It could be that it was because I was traveling with Kyrgyz girls, but we were doing nothing immoral, or anything at all for that matter, other than walking through the park, or walking at night.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Quote:
Be forewarned though, people in Osh are not especially friendly to Westerners. I was threatened a couple of times in just a day's worth of visiting. It could be that it was because I was traveling with Kyrgyz girls, but we were doing nothing immoral, or anything at all for that matter, other than walking through the park, or walking at night.
Good to know. I travel with my wife...so don't know what that does to the equation. Working on Russian (although Kyrgyz and Uzbek--depending on the neighborhood--probably get you further in Osh) so hopefully that'll help keep things smooth.

Got invited to the local motorcycle rally out on the north shore of Issyk-Kul this weekend, so hopefully we'll be able to attend and make some new friends!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

I speak Russian well enough to get along, but they don't speak Russian in the South...or they don't like to. Remember all that ethnic fighting that happened a few years ago down there? They are different from Northern Kyrgyz, for sure. Keep mind I now have a Kyrgyz wife...I don't dislike the folks there at all, but the South is different.

If you travel down there with a Kyrgyz guy it may help. Not many Kyrgyz ride though...mostly Russians.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

On the Kyrgyz don't ride...there seems to be an increasing interest on there part in riding (though most bikers are definitely Russian)...for instance, one of my English students who is Kyrgyz is looking at getting a Kawasaki Vulcan (even though an adv bike would make more sense)...still would be awesome to see a Kyrgyz on a cruiser!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by still southern View Post
Been living and working here in Bishkek a little over a month and just bought a 1994 Dominator and looking forward to riding the region (as soon as I get a helmet). Just figured I'd reach out and see who else might be in the area.
Wow, you were lucky to find that Dominator in Bishkek. A couple of the military base contractors in Bishkek ride motorcycles and are active on the hubb. See if you can contact the Bishkek community on Horizons Unlimited.

If I were you, I'd head down to that bar that song by the English bloke, Richard. That's where most English speakers tend to hang out after work. Enjoy Bishkek, and if you can, make sure to get down to the Tajik Parmir, also the Wahkan and is not to be missed.

Cheers
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
Wow, you were lucky to find that Dominator in Bishkek. A couple of the military base contractors in Bishkek ride motorcycles and are active on the hubb. See if you can contact the Bishkek community on Horizons Unlimited.

If I were you, I'd head down to that bar that song by the English bloke, Richard. That's where most English speakers tend to hang out after work. Enjoy Bishkek, and if you can, make sure to get down to the Tajik Parmir, also the Wahkan and is not to be missed.

Cheers
Thanks for the info. I may check out the bar at some point (but I'm working on learning Russian right now so when I go out I try to practice Russian, not English).

If anyone cares I found the Russian biker hangout though...it's called палатка (Russian for "tent"), just hang a left at the south end of Mira and it's on the left after 50-100 meters. Definitely going to try to ride the Pamir Highway next summer. Just did a little reading about Wakhan...looks really interesting! Might have to give it a try one of these days.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I may check out the bar at some point (but I'm working on learning Russian right now so when I go out I try to practice Russian, not English).

If anyone cares I found the Russian biker hangout though...it's called палатка (Russian for "tent"), just hang a left at the south end of Mira and it's on the left after 50-100 meters. Definitely going to try to ride the Pamir Highway next summer. Just did a little reading about Wakhan...looks really interesting! Might have to give it a try one of these days.
Good to know. I plan to visit next April and will probably want to go riding. Let's stay in contact.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Quote:
Good to know. I plan to visit next April and will probably want to go riding. Let's stay in contact.
Sounds good. Just send me a message!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
still southern OP
Iron Horse Nomad

Another quick Q for anyone out there familiar with this area...what's the best source for tires? I'm gonna need some in the spring. My contacts here say they just have someone ship them from stateside but that is really expensive...any better options?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #14
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

There used to be a guy...hmm, I want to say on Bokembaeva street (ulitsa), near Yusa restaurant, that had a bike shop. Still does I think. He might be able to source tires too.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #15
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:

If you go to Tajik, don't skip the Wakhan, it'll be the highlight of your trip. It's one of the highlights of the planet!!!

and so soooo much more. It simply cannot be missed. sorry about the poor pictures, I can send you some better ones!
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote