User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,619
Evo Harleys

The engine that saved Harley from oblivion. The new twin cams are bigger, more powerful and run hotter, but are they better?

The '85-'99 evo era Harleys are selling cheaper than ever. They could be the future collectables.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,059
The Evo was always my favorite engine that Harley made. They just seem to run cooler and don't have the problems that the twin cams do.

Marc

Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Twinkies are bigger, and more powerful but you can build an 80" Evo that will run with the big boys...

Great engines, great bikes! get em while the prices are right!
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
The Evo was always my favorite engine that Harley made. They just seem to run cooler and don't have the problems that the twin cams do.

Marc
As long as you replace the shitty cylinder base gaskets and rocker box gaskets with something better.

I'd own another one. It's getting harder to find them in good shape, low mileage, unmolested.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,437
I think Evos are in the sweet spot with age, mileage, and not being the new hotness or the retro Shovelhead.

Millions of them out there.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Had an 85 EVO (2nd year for it) & loved my FXRS but back then i had financial trouble & sold it for a song. 84 was first year for EVO but chain drive, 85 was first year for skinny belt drive.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,009
A carbureted EVO is the best engine Harley ever made. And they can be kept going almost forever, because they are designed to be rebuilt. They can be jetted rich enough to run cool. You can buy a never before rebuilt EVO, and know it has several rebuilds left in it. It is not powerful, but Harleys are not about power. It looks right, sounds right, and feels right. Then TC engines can be cooled down by remapping the FI to be a lot richer. It requires an expensive electronic tuner but it can be done. But you still have the flimsy cam drive chains and their poorly designed tensioner to deal with, and when a TC wears out, it will cost a lot more to rebuild.

I have never owned a Harley. All this comes from Harley owners, mechanics, and Harley forums. Oh, and I have read the EVO and TC service manuals.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
A carbureted EVO is the best engine Harley ever made. And they can be kept going almost forever, because they are designed to be rebuilt. They can be jetted rich enough to run cool. You can buy a never before rebuilt EVO, and know it has several rebuilds left in it. It is not powerful, but Harleys are not about power. It looks right, sounds right, and feels right. Then TC engines can be cooled down by remapping the FI to be a lot richer. It requires an expensive electronic tuner but it can be done. But you still have the flimsy cam drive chains and their poorly designed tensioner to deal with, and when a TC wears out, it will cost a lot more to rebuild.

I have never owned a Harley. All this comes from Harley owners, mechanics, and Harley forums. Oh, and I have read the EVO and TC service manuals.
Then why did you post as if you know what you are talking about?

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

You sure want people to think you know a lot about the Harley ownership and maintenance experience considering the fact that you've never owned one, never worked on them, never ridden them any appreciable distance, and would never consider ponying up the cash needed to have one in your garage.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,164
He wants to play I'm a Harley expert with the big boys even though he will always be too cheap to ever own one.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I think Evos are in the sweet spot with age, mileage, and not being the new hotness or the retro Shovelhead.

Millions of them out there.
Exactly.

If a nice 90's Ultra crosses my path at the right price, I'm all over it!

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,101
I just rescued my father's 1990 Electra Glide Ultra Classic (quite a title there) from his garage. It's been sitting for a couple years, not ridden much before that at just over 15,000 miles. First thing I did was yank the tour pak and remove the CB/intercom and all the add-on eagles and chrome crap. I'm aiming for a semi-Street Glide look but with a bit more Classic I guess. I really like the motor. Nice low-end, good sound once I pulled the drag pipes and put the stockers back on. I like the single carb as well. Time to pile on some miles.

Two things I don't like: The click when it doesn't turn over the 1st time and the oil filter adapter bolt design.

Always swore I'd never ride a dresser.
2000 Suzuki SV650 race bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I had a brand new 1996 Evo Fatboy - I'd rather walk. Bought it right and sold it in a couple of months and made a few bucks.

For riding, I prefer every twin cam I've had since.
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
jersey jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
One of my favorite bikes was my 87 FXRS, if you don't hot rod them the only thing to worry about is the stock rocker boxes and base gaskets, but if you wait until the thing is warmed up nice before hammering it the base gaskets are less of a problem.

The stock clutches won't hold up to substantial performance improvements, if you stick to just cam, exhaust, carb and ignition (I like single fire myself, Dyna S, simple, not even a box to mount) a Barnett spring will make it work just fine.

I also liked the self adjusting primary doohicky I put in mine, I forget who made it. Hayden maybe?

My buddy has an 87 or 88 Electraglide his dad sold him, has about 60k on it, runs like new. Only thing done to it is an S&S super E and mufflers, rides nice, I'd take it anywhere.

Back in the day another friend had an FXRSsp, with an 89" stroker kit, head work, high compression, etc, it was silly fast but ate clutches and starters like candy.

There's a lot to like about an 80" evo with some mild mods to liven it up, just stay away from bikes with major hot rodding done to them.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
jersey jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFLHT View Post
I had a brand new 1996 Evo Fatboy - I'd rather walk. Bought it right and sold it in a couple of months and made a few bucks.

For riding, I prefer every twin cam I've had since.
I liked my Evo, but it was in an FXR. I don't much care for the solid mount engines without the counterbalancers like the twin cam softails have. Had enough of that crap with my shovelhead, vibrating pain in the ass. And hands. And parts falling off.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote