User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
roma258 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
How dull is the Wee Strom?

I've always respected the Wee from afar. Just honest motorcycle, goes about it's job, blah, blah, blah. But recently I've actually given some thought to buying one to be my second bike, and while it makes sense on the surface, I've gone back to read reviews and words like "lackluster", "adequate", and "boring" keep popping up. I've put some miles on the VStrom 1000, and quite liked it (honeymoon rental in California, so recollection is a bit rose tinted).

The idea is, I have a bike for local rides and errands. It's also kind of my flash bike, if you want to look it that way. But it doesn't work for long days, or distance rides. A Wee with hard luggage would be a great solution, especially since I'd like to explore some forest service roads, do some bike camping, etc... But I like to ride pretty hard and enjoy the visceral experience of carving up a great set of twisties. So would I get bored with the Wee? Am I reading too much into the reviews of jaded moto journos?
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
micah360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I had one... and it was a great all-around bike and would handle just about anything in front of it (even did a couple of water-crossings). Very comfy, great engine, decent power, easy to handle. The thing that was boring for me was it's looks... I just thought it was ugly. I tried to make it more handsome with a cut down windshield, different bars and an Akra exhaust. It still didn't cut it for me. I guess that's superficial... but whatever.

Here's a shot of my Wee from the best angle on it's best day. This was the only time I thought this bike looked good (it was mainly the angle).

ETA: The newer generation does look much better than mine though... I will give it that.

micah360 screwed with this post 05-06-2015 at 12:38 PM
micah360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,657
I had an 07 and put 100k kms on it. It was loaded with about 70lbs of accessories...

I liked it and would get another given the same circunstances. You can wring the thing out pretty good for some spirited riding and it's more competent then people give credit.

280 miles easily to a tank was awesome if riding sensible for touring. Insurance is cheap.

It's bland to the point that it's a Japanese bike with no drama, that only requires gas and tires, and it'll start everytime like your favourite tool or appliance.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 635
I put 20k miles on a 2012 Wee Strom and thought it was a great bike. Great mainly in the sense that it was 100% reliable and got great mileage. It handled fine, brakes were good but I canīt deny there was something missing in the excitement stakes. If you want a bike to rely on it would be an excellent choice. If you could only afford to keep one bike on the road it can tour, commute, do gentle trails ( at which point someone posts a video of somebody on a GL1800 riding singletrack). The only thing that really annoyed me was the temp sensor which overrode the display when it got to less than 4 deg C ( I think). I donīt need to be told when it is cold thanks. Overall an extremely competent all rounder with almost no faults to speak of, just slightly missing that magic spark that makes riding fun.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Skowinski
Primate

Oddometer: 6,065
Never had one myself, but a friend did. He sold it (the 650) saying it was a dull and lifeless machine.

I figured he wasn't riding it fast enough.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I fell asleep while riding mine once.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Then the buffeting woke me up.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
roma258 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Hmm, y'all ain't helping!
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
micah360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by misanthropic View Post
Then the buffeting woke me up.
no shit... I guess I was blocking that from my memory too! I finally got rid of my buffeting by installing a big-ass windscreen. But that made it even more ugly!
micah360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I spent time on the old gen, and never gen 650. nothing wrong with them, motor will run till Jesus comes back.
And if you put a pipe on it, it actually sounds good. They can be quick depending your your mood, and wrist action

I did own a DL1000 for roughly 55 thou km, and quite frankly loved the bike. Its now been replaced with a super tenere that has the same k's in half the time, so I obv. love the Tenere moar!

As a second bike, I don't think it could be beat.
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
rockitcity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I owned an '07 Wee for about 2 1/2 years before getting my Bandit 1250S. The Wee was a more comfortable bike for distance and has plenty of power to cruise at 85 mph all day. It's as exciting as you want to make it, and there are a lot of farkles available to personalize it.

The Bandit, however, has much more wow factor when you twist the throttle, and I like it better for freeway commuting when you need a quick boost of speed to get around something. I sold my Wee to a guy going to ALaska, and I told him then that if I were going to Alaska, the Wee would be my choice.

Of course, now, I'm considering going back to the newer Vee-Strom 1000, but don't know if I want to get into re-farkling a new bike right now.
rockitcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
Modus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I put 20,000kms on an 09 in the 2 years I had it. Used it for commuting, day trips and a couple of long trips, all of which it handled admirably. It was comfortable, handled great and was reliable as an anvil. Best all-rounder I ever owned in 40+ years of riding. If I could have squeezed about 30 more hp out of that engine I'd probably still have it. Without that, well...

That probably doesn't help you either.
Modus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
baekdongmul
Motorbikerer

Oddometer: 2
My daily is a ZZR1200 but I've put about 1000kms on a '13 weestrom. If you ride the absolute piss out of it, it's definitely not boring. The handling gets a bit wobbly over 100mph with a full set of hard bags, but it's pretty agile and frisky under that. It gets excellent gas mileage and has great range on a tank. The worst thing about it really is the stock exhaust note - it's like an asthmatic sheep playing a kazoo.

Can't speak to off-roading it because the one I ride is on stock tires and I almost crash it immediately every time I leave pavement.

Overall it's way less boring than a lot of bikes and it's hard to find a more competent, reliable all-rounder. I doubt buying a new-gen one would be a mistake unless you'd had your heart set on an Aprilia Tuono or Yamaha TDR250.
baekdongmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,931
I ride mine every chance I get, and I enjoy every mile. 10,000 Miles in eleven months. I commute on it. I ride it to the mountains and have an absolute blast on tight, twisty roads. I rode the entire length of the Natchez Trace Parkway last year. Then I went and explored a little bit of East Texas before heading back to Tennessee.

I don't think there is a bike that is a better "all rounder" than the DL650.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #15
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,766
The faster you go, the more interesting it is.

If you require the bike to have more soul than you do, then it's not the bike for you. If you enjoy riding and don't need a super model, then it's fun.
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote