Yes 18 39.13%
No 28 60.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
VFR1200 Poll

If the bike came with a 6.2 gallon tank (like the blackbird) and everything else was the same, would you have bought one?

Colorado_Rider screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 07:52 AM
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
The crappy mpg is the problem, not the tank size. Otherwise looks like a very nice bike. I still wouldn't rule out owning one considering the deals that can be had.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The MPG doesn't seem as bad for some owners, Blakebird got over 40.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Nope. Test rode one and it was too short on leg room for me. A big bike for a smaller person.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 733
I bought one with the small tank, and have ridden over 20,000 miles since, including an SS1K and 10 or 12 6-700 mile days without an issue. 6'2" with long legs...peg lowering kit is a hundred bucks, drops the pegs an inch, and puts the legroom in roughly the same category as the FJR, and 1-2 degrees less bend in the knees than a K1300S. No loss in cornering clearance because the pegs in the kit are tapered at the end. Works for me.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Elkwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
It's a good bike and considering i seen left over 2012 for 10k on ebay its a great deal. The bikes fit and finish is just outstanding.

Range does suck on it though. I get around 120 to 160 miles out of my 2010 vfr. With around 85 fuel ups on fuelly showing my ave mpg around 35. Best ever is 43.3 and worst was 29.1 . My mileage was steadily improved with the more miles i put on it.

I would plan to do the Guhl Performance reflash on the ecm to remove some annoying crap like the 1st and 2nd gear power restriction and have a better map loaded up to smooth it out in the lower gears.

I liked the 1200 way better then my 2007 vfr 800 i had.
Elkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
V4V
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwood View Post
It's a good bike and considering i seen left over 2012 for 10k on ebay its a great deal. The bikes fit and finish is just outstanding.

Range does suck on it though. I get around 120 to 160 miles out of my 2010 vfr. With around 85 fuel ups on fuelly showing my ave mpg around 35. Best ever is 43.3 and worst was 29.1 . My mileage was steadily improved with the more miles i put on it.

I would plan to do the Guhl Performance reflash on the ecm to remove some annoying crap like the 1st and 2nd gear power restriction and have a better map loaded up to smooth it out in the lower gears.

I liked the 1200 way better then my 2007 vfr 800 i had.
funny, i also went from an 07 vfr to a 2012 vfr1200 and i can say that it is all aroound a better machine, the vtec sucks in comparison. the range does suck but i can live with it.

I'm also waiting on the reports from the guhl reflash before i send mine in.
V4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The biggest bummer is how badly the 2010's need a re-flash and that will make the poor raneg even worse. Anyone have any experience with that?
Old 09-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
Unleaded
Unit Train

If you can live without the gear indicator in first and second, the Bazzaz plug is a much simpler (and cheaper) option. Fools the bike into using the fuel map for the upper gears in the lower two.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
The MPG doesn't seem as bad for some owners, Blakebird got over 40.
I got way better than 40 on the road - I had an easy 225 mile range on the road, but precious little wiggle room above that.

Excellent bike in so many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
The biggest bummer is how badly the 2010's need a re-flash and that will make the poor raneg even worse. Anyone have any experience with that?
so you read the forums and come out of that thinking you know what's good and bad about the bike.... buy one, ride the shit out of it and then tell us whether it was awesome or shit.

buy a '12 or '13, the deals are there.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

You had a 2012 where they fixed the issues. The stock 2010 that I rode was crap, the second one I rode with a pipe and bazazz was much better.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
zedXmick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
When I use mine as a commuter to work (70 miles a day) on a 70 mph interstate,the VFR would get 43-45 MPG. Workes for me. I'm 6'4" with long legs,I went with a 1 inch peg lowering kit and removed the inch long feeler sticks from the stock pegs.....works for me. I love the big VFR.
zedXmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,281
If they brought out a VFR1200T or GT I would take a serious look at it. The F just doesn't have the wind protection and storage or passenger comfort I need in a road bike.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
Unleaded
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
If they brought out a VFR1200T or GT I would take a serious look at it. The F just doesn't have the wind protection and storage or passenger comfort I need in a road bike.

For long-hauling two-up riding, there are definitely better bikes. I don't ever ride with a passenger, and don't use panniers...just a bag on the passenger seat that unclips quickly at the hotel, so those things aren't considerations for me.

I agree on the wind protection. In dry conditions and warm air, I find the wind management the best of any bike I've owned: quiet and smooth at any speed. In the rain and cold, you'll know quickly that you're very close to riding a naked bike.

My next bike will be an FJR. Had a long spin on a '14 not long ago, and for my wants, there isn't a better match. That's a couple of years away, though. Loving the big VFR too much to justify a swap quite yet.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
For long-hauling two-up riding, there are definitely better bikes. I don't ever ride with a passenger, and don't use panniers...just a bag on the passenger seat that unclips quickly at the hotel, so those things aren't considerations for me.

I agree on the wind protection. In dry conditions and warm air, I find the wind management the best of any bike I've owned: quiet and smooth at any speed. In the rain and cold, you'll know quickly that you're very close to riding a naked bike.

My next bike will be an FJR. Had a long spin on a '14 not long ago, and for my wants, there isn't a better match. That's a couple of years away, though. Loving the big VFR too much to justify a swap quite yet.
You know, as long as I'm wishing I should also say that I'd really like it if honda would change the firing order to bring back the sound of the V4's from the older bikes. I love the character of the powerband of the V4 - but the VFR1200 sounds like a pissed sewing machine and doesn't do much for me.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote