Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #181
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
Its all up to you, of course, but I'd recommend something you wouldn't feel bad about dropping a few times. Lightweight dirt bikes are great as a first bike and you can't get in a lot of trouble on one. Buy a used one and save the V7 for Christmas (or some other later date).
+1 Get him a used bike that is mechanically sound but has already been scuffed up. A few months later your son will be confident enough, and had enough practice in the real world, that a pretty new bike won't be as likely to get "scufffed up." You'll probably be able to sell the starter bike for what you paid for it (maybe a bit more if you time the sale right.)
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #182
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyjoe View Post
Its all up to you, of course, but I'd recommend something you wouldn't feel bad about dropping a few times. Lightweight dirt bikes are great as a first bike and you can't get in a lot of trouble on one. Buy a used one and save the V7 for Christmas (or some other later date).
That's good advice.....

Regards, Paul
Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #183
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Im thinking of a V7 for my 21 year old son. He is taking his safety class today. We have been looking at bikes for a couple weeks now. Its been a great father son bonding thing.
Any thoughts on the V7 as a first bike, I do wish it had ABS.
Agree with the others. Save the Guzzi for a little later.

For less than half the price of a used V7 you can get a Buell Blast which is a great bike to start with - it handles well, it is easy to work on, parts are plentiful and cheap and if it's dropped the damage will be limited.
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #184
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
recently the local dealer had a v7 racer in that had been dropped twice- and now it was up for sale.

now none of us are above dropping a bike. (i cant count on one hand) but learn how to ride on something else please.

please.

please.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #185
CurtOKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Eek

My only real complaint is that getting warranty work done is a real problem. What the warranty covers seems to be up to the dealers discretion.
CurtOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #186
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtOKC View Post
My only real complaint is that getting warranty work done is a real problem. What the warranty covers seems to be up to the dealers discretion.
Really? I have had one warranty issue and it was repaired without question.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #187
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,462
Quote:
Have you actually had this problem, or is it just something you worry about possibly happening?
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #188
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
At which point you call the regional service rep and complain. Manufacturer's warranty coverage is never at the discretion of the dealer.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #189
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,433
I have a 2008 Buell Super TT - which is a fantastic motorcycle, but between my 2011 Ninja 1000 and my 2001 Buell S3, I don't ride the TT very often. The TT was also supposed to be a bike my wife could ride as she transitioned from her former bike, a Ducati 620 Monster.
The Buell TT intimidates my wife, its kind of a Bulldog of a bike - it takes a lot of rider input to manage it. I've come to grips with the fact that the BUELL TT is too much motorcycle for her, and I don't get out enough on it to justify owning it. I am considering selling the TT and getting a 2013 V7 Stone to serve as my commuter and weekend trip bike, as well as a bike for my wife when we ride together. So, I stopped into my dealer and took a test ride!
I had a Guzzi Lemans MkIII for a long time and three Moto Morinis too, so I do have a passion for Italian bikes, but Buells have satisfied that need lately.
I must admit that I have been biased against the Guzzi V7s due to the 1980's V50 and V65 Guzzis being turds. So I went into the dealership a bit skeptical.

I loved the responsiveness of the motor and the strong pull from low rpms, handling is very responsive (light) and neutral steering, the ergonomics fit my 5'8" frame very well. Being 51 years old - my younger days of clip-ons are behind me and I liked the upright riding position. Also, I love round headlights and the clean lines of the bike, it is not cluttered!

I considered a Triumph Bonneville too, but as I went to lift it off the side stand MY GOD what a HEAVY bike... that was a deal killer, plus the Triumph is not nearly so clean looking.

If I can sell the TT, there may be a V7 Stone in our future!
Alaska Deep Adventure

RideDualSport.com screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 08:13 PM
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #190
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Poor cell phone pic; but, you get the general idea of it's current status. Formally a '09 V7C White. Now, according to my wife, Puke Green. It says Guzzi to me. Sporting '13 V7 Stone rims now. I need to get the exhaust ceramic coated next. Get rid of the damn chrome.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #191
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 378
That looks the business!
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #192
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Man, been away from this thread for ages. My poor Guzzi hasn't been seeing much seat time. I was going to take it to the dealer for its first service but couldn't get a ride, so it just sat for two months. Eventually I said eff it and did it myself. It was so easy I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. So as a bit of an apology to the Stone I'm taking it on a three day mini-vacay this coming week to the western parts of Virginia and WVa. Rain or shine, I don't care (though the poor chrome!).

I decided to hold off on hard cases for now. I got a set of Ortlieb (sp?) waterproof saddlebags that fit, as well as my old Cortech soft bags. I did find that the Saddlemen adventure luggage fits the OEM tail rack like a glove and really, really meshes with the look of the Stone. Little bit old school looking, little bit new. I have pics, but keep forgetting to upload them when I'm on my main computer.

About the only accessory that I'm sorta looking for is a short windscreen. Without any forward lean and zilch for wind deflection, the wind can get pretty brutal above 50-60MPH. Guzzi changed some of the pictures on the website for the OEM screen a while back, so it doesn't look like the smaller "sport-just-a-bit-bigger-than-a-flyscreen" screen I saw when I preordered the Stone, but more of a full touring screen that I've found on other sites. I don't really want a full touring windscreen and I'm iffy on a fairing, but a little something would be nice so I could ease up the death grip.

Oh, yea, now that I think about it. My Stone seems pretty rear biased on braking. The front locks up and slides really easy whereas the rear provides more braking power than the front before locking. I'm wondering if its either the tires or suspension setup. Leaning suspension as sometimes the rear feels like it might want to swap around, which IIRC indicates a too-low rear. Might up the preload and/or drop the triple to see.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #193
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazekyle View Post
I'm wondering if its either the tires or suspension setup.
The stock tires and shocks SUCK. Change both.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #194
Kasi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I got mine Racer # 11 a little makeover Kasi Style

[IMG] photo DSC02885_zpsc7ab836a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo DSC02889_zps662364dc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo DSC02905_zps32b75998.jpg[/IMG]
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #195
Frankbonatelli
always on the road

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike View Post
Poor cell phone pic; but, you get the general idea of it's current status. Formally a '09 V7C White. Now, according to my wife, Puke Green. It says Guzzi to me. Sporting '13 V7 Stone rims now. I need to get the exhaust ceramic coated next. Get rid of the damn chrome.[/URL]
Looks good Minimike. I agree need to ditch the chrome. I did my pipes graphite black ceramic coated. Way nicer. Now I need to figure out how to get the chrome bezel from the gauge cluster to stop sparkling!! Ever ride it winks at me and makes me look for idiot lights blinking on. Need to de-chrome it some how!
-

if any one wants to trade seats Im looking for the two rider style.
Amazing how one bike model can inspire such diversity in ideas of that "perfect ride". My little v7 xc is perfectly at home in snow sand mud and of course on nice curvy roads.
Frankbonatelli is offline   Reply With Quote