Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #196
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankbonatelli View Post
Looks good Minimike. I agree need to ditch the chrome. I did my pipes graphite black ceramic coated. Way nicer. Now I need to figure out how to get the chrome bezel from the gauge cluster to stop sparkling!! Ever ride it winks at me and makes me look for idiot lights blinking on. Need to de-chrome it some how!
Take a wire brush to scuff up the chrome and then paint it black. Or acid etch it for a satin finish.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #197
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike View Post
Poor cell phone pic; but, you get the general idea of it's current status. Formally a '09 V7C White. Now, according to my wife, Puke Green. It says Guzzi to me. Sporting '13 V7 Stone rims now. I need to get the exhaust ceramic coated next. Get rid of the damn chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
I got mine Racer # 11 a little makeover Kasi Style

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
What are those front fairings? I *think* I've seen them at an online dealer, but at the time I didn't know enough about the front of the various V7's to know if they'd fit. I'm thinking that if my girlfriend decides that she's not a fan of 2-up, I'll do some custom/semi-custom cafe-ing on the Stone and those farings are veeeery tempting if I go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike View Post
The stock tires and shocks SUCK. Change both.
Mm...yea, I kinda agree. The tires aren't too bad, but seem to want to break loose pretty easy. And I leave tread marks on every corner. Any suggestions? I've looked around Motorcycle Superstore for ones that'll fit (and are tubeless), and am kinda looking into Avon AM26's. Or maybe Shinko 230's as from what it looks like they're grippy and inexpensive, but a bit short on life.

The suspension seems OK for my weight for now, but is on the "to upgrade" list. Some more adjustability (or a much better preload adjuster) would be nice. I just dont' have the $1k for aftermarkets. Heck, it's hard to dump $200+ on a new set of tires plus $70 for the mount and balance when the stockers don't even have 1000 miles yet :P I'm also deciding if I want to install progressive springs on my Setaro sooner or later.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #198
Sylvia Stuurman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Brand new V7 Special

I am the owner of a brand new V7 Special for just over a week now.

It's a beautiful bike!
Here it is posing in front of a restaurant in Remouchamps, Belgium:

A Streetcar named Desire...

For me, it's the perfect allroad ;-)
Sylvia Stuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #199
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Stuurman View Post

It's a beautiful bike!

Thanks for the photos, Sylvia! Great backgrounds.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #200
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Sylvia, nice Defender too!

Love the gas cap Kasi.

Got my Icon shocks and Stucchi fairing from these guys:
http://www.mgcycle.com/

I run Conti Attacks on my street bikes. Trying out a pair of the Conti Go's on the V7 right now. So far, I've been really happy with them.

minimike
Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #201
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
I did my pipes graphite black ceramic coated.

I've got a local shop that did my Hepco and Becker racks for the V7. Should have taken the pipes to him at the same time; but, I didn't want to go with out the bike at the time. Think I'll try the same color you used. Looks great!

minimike
Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #202
Penderic
Format C:/u

Oddometer: 84
Thats a very nice looking Special you have there, Sylvia!

I really like the combination of the black wheels and the gray theme ...very sophisticated.

You are going to meet a lot of people admiring and curious about your motorcycle!

---------------------------------

Almost 4 years for me and a my 09 Classic - a great motorcycle! Its perfect for my needs. And with the luggage, heated grips and lowered pegs, I believe I could again enjoy some long tours.

Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #203
Frankbonatelli
always on the road

Oddometer: 9
Almost 4 years for me and a my 09 Classic - a great motorcycle! Its perfect for my needs. And with the luggage, heated grips and lowered pegs, I believe I could again enjoy some long tours.

[/QUOTE]

That's a very interesting crash guard your v7 is sporting. Any chance we could gat a few more shots, details,product name and origin. As you can tell for, my v7 XC I find myself in many a situation where this would be a must own piece of kit!
The two wheel gods have smiled upon many of my two wheel get offs while I have been offloading, but it's only a matter of time.
Frankbonatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #204
Sylvia Stuurman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penderic View Post

Beautiful luggage!
I ordered the Strayker of Hepco&Becker (which is pictured, in their catalogue, on the same Special as yours), but I'm still waiting on the cases.
Sylvia Stuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #205
Penderic
Format C:/u

Oddometer: 84
Quote:

That's a very interesting crash guard your v7 is sporting. Any chance we could gat a few more shots, details,product name and origin.

Its a Stucchi crash bar made for the Breva 750/(Grey) and V7C series (Black). About $200 now.

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info....oducts_id=3252

I got mine from MG Cycle when I first got my Classic in 2009 (right after I ordered a center stand) and yes it does help if the bike tips over, or you have a low speed tumble- the head is protected but you might lose the very top of the spark plug cap.

I like the looks of them - suit the looks and they don't stick out much at all.

Here are a couple of older pics showing the guards .. I can take some new close ups if you need to see more details.

Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #206
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Stuurman View Post

It's a beautiful bike!

That might be the nicest looking V7 I've seen so far. Not something available here in Canada as far as I know.
I bet the bike is perfectly suited to your local roads too.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #207
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Sylvia, that's a very nice looking V7 you have.

Mike, I checked the H-B site and didn't see a reference to newer V7's. Did the pannier require modification?

Does the V7 have a cross over pipe in the header?

At 210 lbs I'd need to modify the suspension. What upgrades have you folks done, and do the aftermarket shocks have rebound adjustment?

Last summer I had a test ride on a V7 at AF1 Racing in Austin when they were servicing my Vespa while on a cross country trip. Great people there by the way.

As soon as I sell my Triumph Scrambler, I have a V7 Stone. Owner a 1200 Sport for 2 years and have been bitten by the Guzzi bug.

Regards, Paul
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #208
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
At 210 lbs I'd need to modify the suspension. What upgrades have you folks done, and do the aftermarket shocks have rebound adjustment?
I have a 2012 V7 Racer. Same suspension with upgraded shocks. I, too, weigh 210 lbs. and have made the following changes to the suspension:

Front: New springs and emulators. I found the stock setup way too soft. Total investment: $270.

Rear: New shocks with appropriate springs for my weight. I found the stock shocks (BiTurbos on the Racer with rebound adjustments) way too stiff. I had no free sag (the weight of the bike did not compress the spring at all). I didn't bother trying to re-spring the stock shocks. I bought some Gazi shocks with appropriate springs (they, too, have a rebound adjustment). Total investment: $700.

These two changes really transformed the way the bike handles. It's nice and balanced now. I also raised the forks in the triple trees about 10mm to improve turn-in at slow speeds.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #209
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Thanks for the info Pokeyjoe, much appreciated.

Regards, Paul
Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #210
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Welp, just got back from a 3 day trip to the mountains to scrub the last chicken strips off the tires. The V7 Stone certainly was a hoot to ride and I outpaced my friend on his FZ8. I did do some suspension tweaking before the trip. I'm still stock but then again I only weigh 150 lbs in full race leathers. But the Stone didn't run flawlessly.

When I was headed out Wednesday the oil cap/dipstick vibrated loose and came totally out of the sump, dumping about half of my oil all over the left side of the bike and myself. I managed to pull over with just enough to spare to limp to my destination and grab some semisynth 20W50 to make up the difference. The V7 engine doesn't particularly care for the 10W60/20W50 blend and runs a bit rough, but not overtly so. I'm going to flush the oil and change the filter soon. I probably should change the rear brake pad as that's now contaminated with oil, but hey, I'm no longer locking up the rear wheel on command. I'm also going to check the valves again as I seem to have developed some tappet noise on the right cylinder, which was just in spec when I checked it at the 600 mile service.

Two days later (today) the speed sensor started acting up and went kaput. Moreso the wire harness for it, I think. I was driving in traffic when the speedo maxed out, then randomly started sweeping back and forth. The odometer started self-incrementing to the point of 1 mile added every 2 seconds at the worst. Sometimes the speedo would cut out entirely. I traced it back to the wiring leading from the speed sensor connector to the sensor, and it seems to have some sort of short/cut/crimp within the wiring harness or boot to the sensor. I could jiggle the strain relief boot and I'd get the speedo to go back anomalous. I cut the zip tie and tried to get more slack in the cable in case it was a pinch short but that didn't help. Eventually I got a few good miles out of some dielectric grease and electrical tape around the wires at the molex connector, but in the end -- after a random sweep every so often -- the sensor or connection totally died.

So my odometer is petty far off at this point. I put on nearly 50 miles sitting at a stop light, but only a few miles on my 150 mile trip back home as the sensor or connection was mostly dead by that point. Best I can figure my odometer now shows about 75-100 miles more than it should.

Anyway. I'm going to take it to the dealer either tomorrow or next week if I can arrange a ride (major difficulty for me). The speed sensor/wiring harness should be covered under warranty, and the oil cap was a fluke even though I tightened it down with a wrench. I'll safety wire it, but as a stop gap I have some teflon tape that's working so far. Idle speed also seems to be up by a few hundred RPM so I'll have them take a look at that as well.

Oh, and another question. My reserve fuel light comes on with about 2.5-2.7 gallons left. Does it do that with everyone else, or should I add that to the list as well?

Otherwise pretty happy with the Stone. Well, there's some rust forming on my OEM chrome luggage rack, and some rust forming at some grounding points on the engine. And a grommet disappeared from the battery cover. But everything else is good, I hope :P
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote