User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
1982 Puch Maxi "Ska Executive" - Moped.

Hey, picked up another moped on saturday thought you guys might like to see. Posted a couple of others on here before.

Its a 1982 Puch Maxi S with a E50 single speed 50cc. It is a special edition model called the "ska executive". From what i can see (not much on google) all it has over a normal model is the mag rims and a different paint colour/decals. However mine has been repainted by some previous owner so colour not right and has not got the right decals. Checked online and only 9 are registered in the UK currently.

This is a kickstart model.

The engine has a rumbly noise coming from it at idle, but when riding it seems to go away. Not sure if something to do with clutch or maybe a bearing somewhere. Anyone got any ideas?

Light/kill switch is broken and rear light is missing, not sure if front one works or not.

Thanks for looking

Forde screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 12:10 AM
Forde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,508
The frame looks very similar to my 1980 Newport II. The headlight is way different, mine is round. Also mine has the ZA50 2 speed engine and the exhaust is on the other side. It has wire spoke wheels. Mine came with the bicycle type seat, but I replaced it with one like yours from eBay. Lets me slide back a little. My ZA50 has over 20,000 miles on it, but still runs great. If it ever wears out, I have a 300 mile E50 I got from eBay ready to go into it. Mine has pedals. Not a legal moped in my state without pedals. Mine does not have any handlebar switches, everything is wired direct, and I have a toggle switch for the ignition mounted in a Radio Shack plastic box just behind the air cleaner. I have the speedometer on it, but the cable broke years ago and I never replaced it. Not likely to get stopped for speeding on a moped.

As for the noise, look for something loose, an air leak at the manifold, also pull the head and exhaust and look for carbon buildup. If it goes away when riding, it is probably not a bearing, though it could be in the clutch. The clutch springs can become weak over the decades, and allow the clutch shoes to rattle. It stops when they engage.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks jerry, i got it from my friend maurice who is an avid moped collecter, i had a couple of tomos's from him before which i stripped but never finished the builds as they just needed too much money spent. all my other scoots/mopeds have been belt drive apart from that.

anyway, maurice reckons that it is something to do with the clutch as well. its not like the sound of an air or exhaust leak and it runs and revs well. its more something like loose clutch or a bearing. like a rattley grumbley noise. i hope not a bearing lol.

havent had it running for long to listen to it as we were running it off a wee bottle since maurice is fussy about tanks not being clean. i might just stick an inline filter into fuel line lol! anyway i didnt ride it myself just started and revved but maurice says it goes away when riding and it rides well. havent had the chance to do any investigating yet myself.

yes they were available with a round light. thinking i might buy the round light for mine they are only 20 bones new.

dont need pedals here, can ride anything up to a 125cc motorcycle with a learners permit. of course i have full m/c licence anyway. much prefer the look without pedals personally.

post pics of your mopeds!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

if i get the brakes working a little better this ped would literally pass inspection as it is now. just worried about the noise dont want to blow it up riding down the road lol
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Does this qualify as a moped? Having solid foot pegs.??
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

LIke many mopeds this model was available in both pedal and kick start. LIterally there are no differences between this and the pedal model aside from the pedals themselves. I prefer to collect kick start versions as they are rarer and look better. Also where I live the law sees anything 50cc or less as a moped pedals are not required
Old 11-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I see. If I remember correctly, the reg in FL was specific about having pedals for mopeds. I, too, have one of those with pedals in storage.
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

Sweet! Maybe it's about time to get it out of storage lol
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Tomos makes all their models with a choice of pegs or pedals. Some states in the U.S. don't require pedals to be a moped, but most do, including mine. I have a motorcycle endorsement too, but it would not do me much good trying to ride a peg model in town. Here we are allowed to ride the pedal model in the bike lane at under 20 mph. Can't do that with the peg model, and since they won't keep up with traffic, there is no safe place to ride them. Most of my moped miles have been out of town.

The Puch E50 is a VERY simple motor to work on, and all the parts are readily available for it, at least in the U.S. Not only can you get all the stock parts, but you can get tons of performance parts as well. I don't know if they ship overseas, but a place in the U.S. I like to deal with is themopedjunkyard.com. They sell both new and used moped parts. Puch Is probably the most common brand of moped ever made.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

yeah they sure do, the 2 tomos bullets i had were kickstart models also!

hmm, what is your speed limit in town. ours is 30mph. i can ride from my house into town, the bank, the postie, most mates house, the store etc without leaving a 30mph limit. and since this thing will do 30mph even without tuning its all good. although tbh i would ride it on larger roads around the outskirts of town too and get away with it if i could hit 40+, not like freeways or anything though LOL

yeah i can source pretty much any parts here. just a couple of things i would maybe need to order from usa or mainland europe. sometimes cheaper to order from the netherlands than a uk supplier even with the postage! but postage within europe doesnt cost that much anymore.

there is only one thing i am having trouble finding at the minute and that is clutch springs
Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
the euro spec "maxi executive" actually came with a front fairing, windshield, leg guards, and small luggage on the back.

ive only seen 4 for sale, but never owned one.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #12
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

cool!

this is a ska execiutive think it is different to the executive

I checked on howmanyleft there are 9 registered in the uk atm, only one is on the road and the rest are notified off road. one of which would be my one.

Forde screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 03:41 AM
Forde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
You'll get the most info on this from mopedarmy.com. Huge numbers of Puch owners there. Lots of smart assed 14 year olds there but forewarned you can overlook it. Lot's of very very well versed serious mechanics as well.

Surely members there from UK as well who could link you to good parts. Probably Netherlands.

How many miles? That was good advice to check the carbon buildup. Both the za50 and the e50 are notorious for clogging up right at the exhaust port. Take off the muffler/header and look up there with a flashlight. Don't even have to take the jug off if you don't want to get too involved. Just put the piston at bottom dead center and chip it out well with a little sharp screwdriver.

Soak the shit out of the muffler with oven cleaner, warm it up somehow for a few hours, and then flush it with a garden hose. Really go at the funky little alum baffle in the back. It really gets clogged.

Once you've got things reasonably unclogged do yourself a HUGE favor if you're going to put any miles on this moped at all and invest in a gallon of ultra low smoke, low deposit, synthetic 2 cycle oil. A bit more expensive, but the good stuff almost literally does not smoke, and keeps the damn little "two smoker" unburdened by gloppy deposits for a good long time.

I've got two Puchs and I ride them almost as much as my motorcycles in the main summer months. Just so damn much fun and nobody seems to care where you go with them. Especially if don't put a loud-assed pipe on it. Pedal through the festival, down the boardwalk, whatever. Cut across/through alleyways and paths. You can go places on these that 125cc scooters would look seriously out of place in and nobody seems to mind..... just lots of smiles and "cool.... what year is that?"
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #14
Forde OP
Studly Adventurer

yes i have been on the moped army and a few other moped forums for a few years. have several sources for parts, ypvspares is one of my favourites.

it only has 1700 on the clock but the speedo cable is missing lol

would put muffler in the fire and de-coke it but getting a performance one.

yes i always run good 2 stroke oil. never that cheap shite from service stations etc. have a couple gallons of castrol stockpiled but need to pick up some more putoline strawberry!

post pics of your mopeds!!

as for an update on my ped, havent done anything else yet. was going to modify this ped heavily but after thinking more might keep it mostly stock, in looks at least. just new shocks, forks and lights as the existing are done. jet it with a pipe for now and then do engine work later.

first on the agenda is a tank clean, what are you guys fave methods? thinking surfex and deox-c have heard of people using coke also have some citric acid here.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

The speed limit on all roads other than strictly residential neighborhoods where I live is 45 mph, but most everybody drives at least 55, and they are very impatient. That's why a 50cc scooter won't work in town here either. Can't ride in the bike lane, and can't keep up with traffic. A pedal moped can be ridden much like a bicycle. Nopeds and 50cc scooters work just fine out in the country, with 65 mph speed limits, where you can ride them on the shoulder same as bicycles, but they will get you killed in town.

If your exhaust is plugged up, there should be a threaded stud sticking out the back end of it, with a nut. All you have to do is remove that nut, and the whole pipe comes apart, you can even separate the header pipe from the body. I thoroughly cleaned out the header and muffler body with Castrol Superclean (super duper cleaner similar to oven cleaner WILL REMOVE SKIN) and got a new baffle from 1977mopeds.com.