Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
kevlar OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Thorns in tires? (mesquite)

As a new KLR 650 owner, I have a question:

I live in the Big Bend region of West Texas...

Every other plant here is a mesquite with 2 inch thorns!!

How do I deal with these with the KLR tires?

Should I use the "Green" tire sealant?

A streetbiker told me to steer clear of that stuff, as it can throw your tire balance off...

What do the rest of you Western Bikers do?

I'm beginning to plan little offroad trips on the KLR, and some of them may be solo in no-cell-phone-coverage areas (anywhere outside a town in the BB)

How do the rest of you prepare for tire problems on the trail?

Also, when it warms up, I'm planning a trip to Big Bend National Park on the KLR...

I'm very familiar with the Big Bend Region, as I've lived in Alpine (just north of BBNP) for the last 4 years, and have frequented the park..in 4-wheeled vehicles....just haven't done it on a bike yet..

I also know of some "GREAT" rides around the Fort Davis area, that are phenomenal on a bike!!

If anyone is interested, we can do a very informal get together/campout and see a lot of the BB in one weekend...

Some places of interest:

SR 166 out of Fort Davis

Hwy 118S from Alpine to Kent..

All through the Big Bend NP...

Chinati Hot Springs....

FM 170 Lajitas to Presidio (rollercoaster along the Rio Grande)

etc

etc

etc...

Let me know..
kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:07 PM   #2
Off Road Toad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Heavy duty tubes and tire snot, and you should be ok. RL Lemke might have a recommendation on what type of tire sealant to use. I have used Slime but I hear it is corrosive. not a problem unless it leaks on the rim and you don't get in there after a ride and change the tube + clean the rim.
Off Road Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Texspeleo
Opportunivore

Oddometer: 261
Tire thorns

Personally, I completely solved the problem by moving to Montana .

However, I did get some relief in the meantime by cutting the stems out of my old heavy duty tubes and inflating a new tube (also heavy duty) inside of it, while still being really careful to avoid pointy things. I never had trouble running some Slime in my tires, but I've heard a logical arguments against doing so as well. I do miss riding in West Texas...

Good luck!
Texspeleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,974
I've used Slime in the past with very good results. It is very messy to change tires after using it. I've never about any issue with corrosion. The thing said about balance, AFAIK, is not true.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
In my limited experience the best policy is to never ride over branches laying in the road or trail in mesquite infested areas. Every time I have done it, I have gotten a flat.

I don't believe that heavy duty tubes will stop mesquite thorns. Seems like they always penetrate about a half an inch into the inside of the tire.

I have never been a believer of Slime type products. It seems like you are only putting off the inevitable of fixing the tire. But with the thorns it will probably buy some time.

It is interesting that these thorns seem to be kind of self sealing. On one flat, I rode over the branch early in the day and the tire didn't go flat until late afternoon.

In another the tire didn't go flat until I had been back home a couple of days. The front went flat and when I went to fix it, there were three thorns.

I decided to check the rear and there were two thorns and the tire had not gone flat.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
Texspeleo
Opportunivore

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

I don't believe that heavy duty tubes will stop mesquite thorns.
They won't, but the doubled inner did reduce my overall number of flats in that country pretty significantly.
Texspeleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:10 AM   #7
nmtrialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Thumb Quadboss

Heavy duty tubes, and Quadboss MC or ATV tire sealant is a must if going offroad. It works great, just carefully follow instructions. I've done MANY miles offroad at BBNP and BBRSP with no flats. Flats are to be avoided at all costs. I carry a mini electric pump, tire irons and extra tubes. You do not want to be stranded out there! BBRSP would be a little tough on a KLR though. Oh yeah, avoid the sticks on the trails!
Baja Survivor: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046271
nmtrialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
cody94dr350
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Sti extreme duty tubes, and theres some tire sealants that also act as a tire balancer, I find its pretty easy to avoid mesquites as long as you stay on the trails. ive only had one mesquite thorn get me in 3 years of desert riding
cody94dr350 is offline   Reply With Quote