User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Bakwas OP
Poor decision maker

Oddometer: 18
XL600R Resurection

Well I'd have liked my first post to be a bit more positive but I got hosed.

I bought a 1987 XL600R with about 4k miles on it very recently. I drove down about 2 hours to see and purchase what I thought was a low miles bike with a horrible paint job done by a tweeker with a spray can. From what I saw and heard it was just that. The bike had started in just a few kicks and ran reasonably well. I loaded it up and went home. I unloaded my prize with the notion of cleaning it up and riding it this summer. Started it up with minor difficulty getting used to the kick start drill but I got it going. Took off down the road about a 1/4 mile and it died while I was down shifting. I could not get the bike to fire AT ALL! I pushed it home and began to diagnose. I've read plenty on the weak spark of these old pigs so I set to that right away. The spark was weak or non existent. End of coil wire was pretty bad so I trimmed it and started at it again. I got a pop or two but that's it. I knew where this was going so I just bit the bullet and got a new coil from Ricky stator and a stator also, they are on their way here now.
Then I began to dig deeper, I pulled off the snorkel and found leaves... Pulled off the side plastic and the air box cover and the whole thing was jam packed with a mouse nest. Fiberglass insulation and oak leaves I was pissed. Also there seems to have not been an air filter in there. There appears to be a slot for one to slide in from the open side cover of the air box on the left side of the bike but only a wire mesh screen in there. Now I feel like the compression is less than what it was before. I am very worried that as the RPM's increased on my downshift that it sucked something around the edge of the wire screen and is lodged in a valve perhaps exhaust valve reducing compression. This was only furthered by my giving it a light shot of ether and it only resulting in a backfire and not a quick stumble or pop.

I'm pretty damn pissed at myself for getting into this pickle but it's not beyond my abilities to fix it. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic so I have a pretty darn good idea of how to work on this thing but it's just that it isn't my medium of art so to speak.

My recourse as of now is to install the new stator and coil as well as toss in a new NGK plug and see if it improves. I do not have a compression tester to confirm or deny the valve problem. If there is no improvement after the new ignition parts can I remove the head with the engine in frame or must I pull the whole motor?

I'm pretty bummed about all this as the rest of the bike seems neglected but all there and in decent shape. I got two sets of plastics a set of new enduro tires and a set of knobies with it too.

Part of me wants to say look dude I don't care what you say I'm bringing it back and I want my money back but the reality is I got myself into this mess it's time to man up and fix it.

Besides I'll have the satisfaction of knowing the bike inside and out right?

I need beer.

Bakwas screwed with this post 03-17-2015 at 10:26 AM
Bakwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
You may end up having to pull and clean your carbs.
Clean the crap out of the air box, get a new air filter (there's a plastic frame that the air filter slips onto and then slides into place in the box), install your new stator, coil and plug, change the oil and filter, check the valve clearance and make sure the kill switch and/or ignition switch isn't grounding out.

The engine must be pulled from the frame to remove the cylinder head.

Don't get discouraged, these are great bikes. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Bakwas OP
Poor decision maker

Thanks, I know it will get better. With such low miles the bottom end ought to be fine. That just leaves the top to worry about and I'm pretty decent with carbs. Thinking about Making a new stainless airbox that will be more user friendly with K&N pods if I have to remove the engine.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Using mouse nest as air filter... touche tweaker man.

Isaiah 40:28
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
zaboz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakwas View Post
Thanks, I know it will get better. With such low miles the bottom end ought to be fine. That just leaves the top to worry about and I'm pretty decent with carbs. Thinking about Making a new stainless airbox that will be more user friendly with K&N pods if I have to remove the engine.
A stainless airbox with pods would be rad, would love to see that!

Rebuilt my carbs very recently, with new jetting (to work with pods and a supertrapp) and still had shitty to no run issues. Adjusted my valves and it helped A LOT. Runs pretty strong now, but definitely can be finicky when trying to restart. Have had the Ricky stator on my radar for a bit now, wondering if a stronger spark would help. I only run a headlight and tailight so for the moment do not need the extra juice for extra lights, signals, etc..
zaboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Bakwas OP
Poor decision maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaboz View Post
A stainless airbox with pods would be rad, would love to see that!
I might make it because I need to pick up a bottle of pure Argon for a stainless honey extractor build I'm doing. I just want something to hold pods and be easier to take off and put on. Maybe removable sides for better airflow while riding blacktop.

I took the tank back off in preparation to replace the coil and I found a little nugget of the past.

It said answer roost boost on it and had a pair of 2 wire connections coming out of it. Quick search shows that it's a snake oil product and I am not sure how to go about it. Remove it or leave it as it will do no harm?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,277
Leave it.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Bakwas OP
Poor decision maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Leave it.
It had male and female plugs on it corresponding to plugs in the harness. I removed it and tested to ensure I have the same anemic spark. I do.

still say leave it on or leave it off now that I have it off?

Good to see you are in my thread. Been lurking for some time and see what i deem as good sound technical advise from your reply's.

Any and all help will be appreciated in my schooling on the finer points of Honda singles.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,277
I have one on my 1992 XR600.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakwas View Post
...I found a little nugget of the past.

There is just a resistor or capacitor inside of it. It's an inexpensive and common electrical device in a fancy package, sold for a high profit, which is a marketing tactic that has been used over and over again for many products, for many decades.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
Bakwas OP
Poor decision maker

Well I took it out, I like simplicity especially in wiring.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #12
Bakwas OP
Poor decision maker

New coil in, not much change, new stator going in now. Which way does the wrapped portion go?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #13
Bakwas OP
Poor decision maker

Ok so this thing rips! I mean fast! it's a one kick wonder too. Now I just need an air filter and two nuts for the seat "the screw kind not my nuts".

Ricky Stator FTW!
Old 03-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #14
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 498
Woot!
Gonna have to change the thread title to XL600 Solutions!

Good stuff, hows about some pics of your new ride!
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
Bakwas OP
Poor decision maker

She's ugly! like only a mother could love ugly. I got some smoke and burning oil smell on start up, Think the rings might be toast from running so long with no air filter. I guess it will be a next winter rebuild then. Top end maybe jug and new piston and rings.

I'll try to add photos later, I haven't took any yet but I did just go for another rip snort around. I got brave and rode about 1.5 miles from the house. It hit 70 MPH quick, like scary quick. I'll need to look at the sprocket and see if I need go up or down for my highway commute.