Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 04:44 AM   #1
karlm-c OP
The ***ern nomad

Oddometer: 36
cut airbox out of KLR, what to do next?

Hello everyone,

I have a '99 KLR 650 that I bought 3 years ago and have put 20,000 miles on. My airbox melted on the carb side of the filter right when I got it and I simply cut it out and put a temporary (at least it was supposed to be) K&N canister filter on instead of anything else. Well, it ended up being permanent because until tonight I still just had the filter on the little rubber hose that connects to the carb. A new airbag is out of the question, (seriously, 50$ for a new one?) so I have been thinking of either making a new one from random parts, having my cousin cut a new aluminum out with his CNC machine and learning how to weld aluminum and making one or making a snorkel and just putting the filter up behind me near my trunk case.

I was messing around today and bought 2 feet of vacuum cleaner hose and some 1.25 inch clear rubber hose and actually made up a temp snorkel and it actually seemed to work. I'm going to test ride it today.

Does anyone have any experience with post-airbox mods? I have jetted my carb and cut the baffle from my exhaust. I just feel like I need to do something with my intake, but I am not really sure what.

Thanks everyone!

I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.- Rosalia de Castro
karlm-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 4,001
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...irbox&_sacat=0

Not many changes to the airbox over the years. Seems like a lot less trouble to just get the right part for a few bucks...
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,735
Regardless of how the OP proceeds, I would like to nominate this thread to the KLRista Hall of Fame.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:24 AM   #4
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 4,001
ROFL

Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 2,344
Wow. Has the level of KLR cheapness fallen to a new low?

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Regardless of how the OP proceeds, I would like to nominate this thread to the KLRista Hall of Fame.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
karlm-c OP
The ***ern nomad

its not really the money that I am worried about, I did just order the Moab rear shock, redid my brakes with oversized front rotor, steel brake lines and so on. Its not that I am cheap, its just the fact that I know I can make my intake myself and with some tinkering and some trials make it as good, or even better than, the original airbox.

and seriously, how badass would a snorkel be on a KLR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlF7DykBvo

That was last night, phase one of testing a snorkel. as you can also see in the video, I have made everything for my bike myself. highway bars, tool tube, rack for my ammo cases, trunk, chain oiler, seat cushion, I even added a quick release seat latch and got rid of having to remove those bolts everytime.

the homemade intake system is more of me wanting to make it myself instead of just being too cheap to buy a part

I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.- Rosalia de Castro
Old 04-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #8
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,908
Yeah, but did you make your own milk crate top case????

Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,735
If money is no object toss the vacuum cleaner hose and look at marine exhaust hose. It is hard walled and won't collapse under vacuum. If money is really, really not an object then look at marine silicone exhaust hose. You only need a couple of feet so making the insane cost of that crap is not so bad.

Thing is, you are going to loose all the volumetric efficiency of an airbox, or in your case, that K&N on your stock boot which passes even more air than your stock airbox. You might seriously restrict your intake by using a long run of hose of the same diameter as your intake boot. I would think you would need to step up the diameter considerably to not restrict the intake.

BTW, if you take that KLR anyplace you need a snorkel please make sure somebody has a camera. Oh, and one of those cool winches the GS guys seem to dig. Harbor Freight sells them cheap.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
karlm-c OP
The ***ern nomad

I am actually trying to find some 1 1/4 inch corrugated metal hosing if I actually go ahead with this idea. I was thinking of this because it will hold its shape when bent instead of needing pressure to stay bent. If this doesn't work all that well I will try and make my own airbox. If it comes down to that I'll have my cousin with his CNC machine cut me some aluminum to make into another airbox/ battery holder.

And thinking of the submersible KLR, how does the electrical system work underwater?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlm-c View Post
I am actually trying to find some 1 1/4 inch corrugated metal hosing if I actually go ahead with this idea. I was thinking of this because it will hold its shape when bent instead of needing pressure to stay bent. If this doesn't work all that well I will try and make my own airbox. If it comes down to that I'll have my cousin with his CNC machine cut me some aluminum to make into another airbox/ battery holder.

And thinking of the submersible KLR, how does the electrical system work underwater?

Oh, I am sure it works just fine. A water filled stator cover will help quiet the engine, as will a water filled gear box. The carb may come out of the water even better than it went in with vent lines filled with water and silt. THe steering stem bearings will not corrode, as well as all your switch gear will be just wonderful.

Hopefully all your camping gear is in dry bags.

Also, the led lights work better underwater than do HID or incan. So you may want to upgrade those.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #12
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlm-c View Post

Corrugated tubing has a huge amount of turbulence due to said corrugation. As the air hits the accordion folds it will tumble and spin, kind of like mini-tornados, slowing and restricting air flow. One company I worked for had a problem with the defrosters working on the windshields in cold weather, it had 2" corrugated tubing running from the under-seat heater box to the defrost vents under the dash. They had the flow dynamics tested. The results were that the actual diameter of uninterrupted laminar flow was about the diameter of a DIME!

That is what corrugated tubing does... screws up air flow. Save it for sewer drains and vacuum cleaners.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #13
karlm-c OP
The ***ern nomad

oh thats good to know! the first design didn't work, I think the vacuum hose must be doing the same thing. I attached about 2 feet of 1.25 inch clear rubber hose with the same K&N filter attached and it worked great! I hadn't routed it anywhere, it was just curled up to about mid-back behind me straight from the carb. Maybe I'll look into getting some of that good silicon hose, I just don't want to spend money on nice hoses to test them out, I'd rather test something else out, see if it works, and if it does I'll get something nice.

I was thinking earlier of adding in a small airbox underneath my left side cover with a filter inside of it, then have the last 10 inches be hose. I was thinking of trying to end the whole setup somewhere near my left rear blinker, or would there be too much dead space there for it to work properly?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,867
better figure out a way to deal with the carb vent line too. I'm sure you know about the T mod.... you'll have to have a taller version
Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,359
Just get the $15 used air box off of ebay and spend your time and effort modding something else that will give you more satisfaction.

"Dude check out my custom airbox"
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote