Old man gets his first scooter.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Good god almighty, did you just open my eyes.

Somehow, I've managed to ignore the changes that have taken place in scooters since I sneered at them back in the 80's. I rode some of them (I was a mechanic, I had to), hated them. The handling was terrifyingly bad back then.

I really had no idea they had come so very far.

Double funny, as I've been seriously considering a Pacific Coast, mostly because of the trunk and ease of riding. I thought it was the only thing out there with anything like a trunk. Now I know there are many more, all I have to do is accept the word "scooter".
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
^ hey man as long as no one calls 'em mopeds we riders are grateful. some are so out of the loop they even call things like a Majesty a moped! a motorcycle is more moped then a scooter so i really do not get it!

but sure scooters have come a ways. first time i rode one i thought it was going to be the same experience you had in the 80's but it was surprisingly fast, nimble, stable and fun. i never stopped riding. i am getting a MC as a freeway bike and an around town choice when i need more power, but i will always ride my scooters. each bike has its own purpose

i decided to get a mc only because i am tall and maxi scooters are tough to fit. and it opens up a large new selection of bikes, prices, and cc choices. its good to have choices. but yeah scoots can be big and strong. when they are i like 'em like this, though. hey, it looks like a giant scooter! well, thats because it is :)

some makers try to hide a maxi scooter's roots, though. some do better then others when it cones to this, and it can be a double edge sword

Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
This thread...is my story almost exactly.

I went from an R1200GS...to a Burgman 650. Along the way, I bought a Burgman 400 clone...that's how and why I decided to end my BMW days. The clone was more fun; not as reliable but more fun.

Had to happen. I bought my first automatic-shift car about the same time. Old age...means becoming shiftless.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Congrats on your new ride, Paul. My main ride is a Yamaha Tmax and my errand runner is an Agility 125. This after 40 years of motorcycles and I sure don't miss the clutching (nerve damage in my left hand) or the shifting (messed up foot and ankle too many times to count). What I didn't count on was how much fun these scooters are. The Tmax is a very sporty bike and it outcorners every motorcycle I have ever owned on good pavement. All I would like it a bit more power, but isn't that always the case? It is a very capable machine.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Going the oppositr direction

Funny, but I'm headed in the opposite direction from the original poster. Just sold my '09 Majesty about a week ago. I had it about a year, and only put 2000 miles on it. The rear suspension was just too harsh for me, and the feet-forward riding position was too rough on my chronically sore back. i'm only 48, but I'm already fallin' apart.

Guess I need to start looking for that mythical, non-European 450 cc dual-sport, with a plush ride and a six speed transmission.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
how about this, HandKPhil? seems it would be good for a person feeling less then stout. auto trans, too

Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #23
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
My primary ride is a scooter and I have a motorcycle to use as a toy for weekend rides in the mountains. For commuting purposes it's hard to beat the weather protection, gas mileage, integrated storage and flickability around town the scooter provides. About the only advantage the motorcycle has is that it's faster and has better high speed stability. If I could have only one it would be the scooter. I'm 47 and have been scooter commuting for 14 years now.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,615
I am 53, but have severe arthritis and fibromyalgia, which not only cause me a great deal of pain while shifting, but makes it difficult to swing my leg over a motorcycle seat as well. I will never give up motorcycles completely until I have no choice. I have a Vulcan 750 that is the most comfortable thing on 2 wheels, and light enough and low enough that I am not afraid of dropping it. I ride it mostly on the highway, where shifting is not required. I have 3 small scooters, Zuma 125, Vino 125, and Genuine Stella. The Stella requires shifting as well, but is so much fun it's actually worth the pain. But I would still like to have a freeway capable scooter. I tried the Burgmans, the Majesty, and the Silverwing. The Silverwing came closest to fitting me, because it has cutouts in the floorboards, so I can put my feet on the ground at stops and parking lot maneuvers. The others have such wide floorboards that even with a 34" inseam, they feel awkward at stops and low speeds. I can just barely touch the ground, and the edge of the floorboards hurt my legs when I try to put my feet on the ground. So for Japanese scooters, it would have to be the Silverwing. I also found the Piaggio BV500 and Kymco Exiting 500 to be a good fit, but not sure about parts availability. In any event, I will be buying used. I am planning to retire at 55, and can't afford to drop $10,000+ on a new scooter. Really nice scooter BTW, hope you enjoy it. I couldn't even get on that BMW.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Never had any serious problem getting parts for either the BV 500 or the Scarabeo 500 (cousin scoots). I find both more comfortable than the Xciting. The only part that took more than a couple days was the speedo for the BV but it wasn't a problem that prevented me from riding it. Using a gps or staying with traffic flow pretty much compensated for the speedo not working. Especially since bike speedos aren't particularly accurate anyway. (Neither is the one in my BMW car for that matter, all are optimistic.) It took just as long for parts with the Burgman we used to have since they were rarely in stock at the Houston dealership either.

I know a lot of people with Kymcos and they have had no parts issues either. If they fit you I wouldn't worry about availability of parts.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
how about this, HandKPhil? seems it would be good for a person feeling less then stout. auto trans, too

I sat on one of these at my local dealership, and it felt pretty good. I think if I went this big though, I'd go with the new Wee Strom. I've got a pair of nice KLR250's right now, and they're both pretty comfortable. As long as I can keep kick starting them I think I'll keep 'em.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #27
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I went over to a scooter back in the 70s. The mechanical simplicity, weather protection, spare wheel, enclosed final drive, ruggedness, and the resemblance to a personal cruise missile won me over. Still riding the same one. 90,000 miles.

http://www.heinkeltourist.com/Images...Fest1989_7.jpg
Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #28
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Great reading and very inspirational. I'm 39 and just passed the Basic Rider Course this weekend on a Honda Elite, provided by the course. The Battle Scooters thread is what changed my mind from originally wanting a motorcycle to realizing a scooter is the way to go.

I tried to explain to everyone who asked over the past two days, "Why a scooter?" But I don't know how many of them believed me. If they took some time to look at the scooters next time they're in the motorcycle shop, they might put 2 and 2 together and see what I mean.

Nobody was disrespectful but they busted my balls everytime they could. I didn't mind, it was all good natured and I'm sure it lightened the atmosphere quite a bit.
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #29
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Hi all just reading your write up on changing down to a scooter.I have similar thoughts on changing my Yamaha xt660z ten.its a bit tall and heavy,after spending a week in Sorrento Italy where 9 out of ten bikes are scooters.And there fast i like the T MAX.O yes i am over 65.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #30
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
$10+ gas would do a lot to change our attitudes and bias against small cars and scooters :)