User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
will all bike in europe....

who don't have ABS be disconnected or will they be equipt with ABS for 2016? As far as I know putting ABS on a bike who don't have abs from beginning quite expensive busniess. Right?
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
who don't have ABS be disconnected or will they be equipt with ABS for 2016? As far as I know putting ABS on a bike who don't have abs from beginning quite expensive busniess. Right?
Isn't it mandated for 2018?

Eventually they will all need retrofitting or will not be salable.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

No 2016. That would be mean that all japanese cruiser execpt vn 1700 has to go. w800, sr 400, xjr 1300 unless they are planning to equipp them with abs.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 134
The new ABS rule will only affect new bikes. Used bikes are still allowed to ride without ABS. Same with the emission rates etc. New bikes have to be very clean but old ons can be loud and dirty ;)
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Isn't it mandated for 2018?

Eventually they will all need retrofitting or will not be salable.
Rubbish.

No law is retrospective.

It won't need retrofitting and it won't affect the sale of older non ABS machines.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Not sure of your question or what Euro may or may not be considering. Here in the states the in the future ABS requirement will be a "manufacturers" requirement to be able sell new bikes not an "owners" requirement for riding. As in the 1974(?) "automatic headlight on" requirement. It's a manufacturers requirement not and owners requirement. Yeah a rider must have the headlight on when riding on public roads but the law doesn't care if the light comes on automatically with the key switch or you turn it on by hand with a separate switch. Same deal with electric turn signals which are required by the manufacturer to sell new bikes in the US. "Electric" blinkers are not required for the rider/owner. Yes, signaling a turn IS required but if you do it via a button or via hand signals doan matter so long as you signal.
Again don't know zip about the EU but here there is a big difference between "manufacturers" requirements and "rider/owners" requirements. Sort out the differences with your local enforcement agencies.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

No new bikes are going to be sold without ABS. That's what I mean. That means no jap cruiser except vn 1700, v800, sr 400, xjr 1300, moto guzzi will be sold without ABS. If the manufacturer don't want to upgrade it then they have to disconnect the model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-rider View Post
The new ABS rule will only affect new bikes. Used bikes are still allowed to ride without ABS. Same with the emission rates etc. New bikes have to be very clean but old ons can be loud and dirty ;)
Old 09-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

At least in Sweden, it is difficult to sell a bike without ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Rubbish.

No law is retrospective.

It won't need retrofitting and it won't affect the sale of older non ABS machines.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
At least in Sweden, it is difficult to sell a bike without ABS.
That doesn't interest me at all.

You were asking (with an implication that they would) if all EU bikes not equipped with ABS would need it retrofitting or be scrapped when compulsory ABS on new bikes becomes law.

And the answer is that they wouldn't.

Nobody asked or I imagine is particularly bothered how easy or difficult it is to sell a non ABS bike in Sweden.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

My question, was only for new bike sold, retrofitting ABS is a expensive busniess and I think it would be unrealistic to expect that bikers would retrofit theirbikes with ABS. In most parts of the world it is difficult to sell a bike without ABS regardless what the law says about it.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarka View Post
rubbish.

No law is retroactive.

It won't need retrofitting and it won't affect the sale of older non abs machines.
+1

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,487
Quote:
My question, was only for new bike sold, retrofitting ABS is a expensive busniess and I think it would be unrealistic to expect that bikers would retrofit theirbikes with ABS. In most parts of the world it is difficult to sell a bike without ABS regardless what the law says about it.
Not so much in the US. Certain high end bikes maybe, or certain segments, but for the most part, I don't think it matters that much.

Sweden is the home of safety, to a fault. They invent padded dashes, 3 point seat belts, mandatory daylight headlights, etc., etc., etc.

I've seen people there wait on corners to cross with not a car in sight because they had a red light. I don't know if they're afraid of a jaywalking ticket, or just crossing because the light is red. They are strict with jaywalking and speeding. Read they pulled over the crown prince and ticketed him some time back for speeding. Ticket fines are based on income, so no matter what, you're going to feel the pinch.

Sweden is maybe a little too safety conscious, so the fear of no ABS would hurt a sale. The gov't there takes care of your every need and safety. We don't expect womb to tomb coverage here.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #13
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Rubbish.

No law is retrospective.

Not old bikes. New bikes. Dick.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #14
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

It is in Finland that the tickets are income based. You don't get a ticket for walking against red light but incases where you cause a accident you can be hold responsible for the accident and then you can get a ticket. They just obey the law and for saftey reason. In Germany, you will receive if you walk against red light and it is most likely that you get killed or badly injured due to the hefty traffic.

As you mentioned, saftey is a bike thing in Sweden and the manufactures has them self introduced abs as a standard equipment because they know that it will affect the sales here in Sweden.

Personally I was convinced of the benefits of ABS when I did some testbraking on gravel.

I would not hesitate to buy a cruiser without ABS but I will avoid street bikes without ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Not so much in the US. Certain high end bikes maybe, or certain segments, but for the most part, I don't think it matters that much.

Sweden is the home of safety, to a fault. They invent padded dashes, 3 point seat belts, mandatory daylight headlights, etc., etc., etc.

I've seen people there wait on corners to cross with not a car in sight because they had a red light. I don't know if they're afraid of a jaywalking ticket, or just crossing because the light is red. They are strict with jaywalking and speeding. Read they pulled over the crown prince and ticketed him some time back for speeding. Ticket fines are based on income, so no matter what, you're going to feel the pinch.

Sweden is maybe a little too safety conscious, so the fear of no ABS would hurt a sale. The gov't there takes care of your every need and safety. We don't expect womb to tomb coverage here.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
Iranian OP
Studly Adventurer

Back to the question, do you think all new bikes without ABS will be disconnected in 2016 or will they equipp them with ABS.