User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
new vs used

I've yet to purchase a motorcycle and have been spinning around in circles for the last few months trying to decide what exactly I want to buy. Now, I've seen and sat on 4 brand new motorcycles thus far starting with;
Triumph Tiger 800XC, BMW R1200GS/GSA, KTM 990 ADVENTURE, lastly Yamaha XT1200Z Tenere. All very beautiful machines in their own right, and each highly specialized in their own unique purpose. After seeing all of this brand new machinery and thinking of price, and getting it outfitted with gear, and buying new gear so on and so forth I took a step back and thought again of buying used. Now, after looking through Kijiji and sifting through every single 2nd hand GS out there, I started thinking about the Idea of buying used. However, there is a BUT! the but is, most of these machines have 65,000 KM'S and are going for around $10,000 used. Now, me as kind of a newbie/outsider to the world of GS and ADV machines am thinking to myself, "Isn't that a bit too much for a bike with 65,000 clicks on the clock?" what is it going to cost me to get the machine all tidy before my long journey? What am I going to pay for fixing all of the necessary items before actually being able to ride the machine XC. ETC.........

So, again I come to you and ask you in your honest opinion what do you think is better?

turnitonagain screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 08:57 AM
turnitonagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,745
You definitely get what you pay for either way. I personally hate breaking in a new bike but equally love the warranty & knowing it was done right. If you need to nickle and dime things in this arena of sport you're better off getting a new KLR or Vstrom & fully dressing it to your liking.
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
You definitely get what you pay for either way. I personally hate breaking in a new bike but equally love the warranty & knowing it was done right. If you need to nickle and dime things in this arena of sport you're better off getting a new KLR or Vstrom & fully dressing it to your liking.
The thing is I have the cash to buy new.. the issue is, do I want to spend an additional 4-5 K dressing it all up? you feel me? lol these machines can drive you mad. ;)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
65k kms in nothing on any of these bikes. They are all just broken in. The only advice I can give based on experience is don't buy any BMW without some sort of extended warranty. The money you save buying used can be spent on vacation riding somewhere.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
The thing is I have the cash to buy new.. the issue is, do I want to spend an additional 4-5 K dressing it all up? you feel me? lol these machines can drive you mad. ;)
For sure! Sounds like you should narrow it down to late model, still under warranty. Have any pics of the used bikes for sale in your area?
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
65k kms in nothing on any of these bikes. They are all just broken in. The only advice I can give based on experience is don't buy any BMW without some sort of extended warranty. The money you save buying used can be spent on vacation riding somewhere.
Good to know, me being inexperienced when it comes to these machines. Well, I would be buying privately to save on sales tax. I don't know much about the GS flaws, and in terms of a warranty that would be a good idea!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ428398932

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ425402221
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Two BMW 12GS both with servo assisted brakes... avoid!! 07 and newer may have ABS but without servo assist..

If buying used, I'd look south of the border: better selection, lower prices, and importation is super easy if the bike is on the RIV list..
Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Something else to consider is the "I really liked that bike when I first got it but can't stand it now" syndrome. I know that I have experienced this issue first hand a couple of times, loving a bike for awhile, then something crops up and the love turns to tolerance, then to hate. Parting with such a bike is much, much easier if you purchased it used and you can sell it for the price you paid. Unfortunately, that's not usually the case if you bought new.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Two BMW 12GS both with servo assisted brakes... avoid!! 07 and newer may have ABS but without servo assist..

If buying used, I'd look south of the border: better selection, lower prices, and importation is super easy if the bike is on the RIV list..

tough to find 1150 gs's around here too!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
sasha18yug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Well i am in the same situation...kind of... and from my point of view its like this...if you can get a bike that has 20k km on it and safe like 4 grand...then its worth it ...and have some kind of warranty...if u think that this bike is going to make you happy and you know what you want...then buy it new...i am going to get a new Stelvio this spring for sure...it costs 11.600 euros new and if i buy it second with 10 k km...i save 1000 euros...
In my case i see that as a no go...but imho 65k km on any bike is not allot but then youre going to be the one that does the next 60 k or so and putting money somehwere when any of the bikes have 100 k is a must...so ull better get something with less km....

Cheers Sasha
sasha18yug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
turnitonagain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha18yug View Post
Well i am in the same situation...kind of... and from my point of view its like this...if you can get a bike that has 20k km on it and safe like 4 grand...then its worth it ...and have some kind of warranty...if u think that this bike is going to make you happy and you know what you want...then buy it new...i am going to get a new Stelvio this spring for sure...it costs 11.600 euros new and if i buy it second with 10 k km...i save 1000 euros...
In my case i see that as a no go...but imho 65k km on any bike is not allot but then youre going to be the one that does the next 60 k or so and putting money somehwere when any of the bikes have 100 k is a must...so ull better get something with less km....

Cheers Sasha
I totally agree with you
Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Why dont you see if the dealers do some deals on accessories when you buy a new bike too? BMW have offers on here in the UK sometimes when buying a new bike you get a choice of so many 's worth of free parts and clothing.

Personally I would buy new if i could afford it and depending on what the bike is for. I like to run the bike in and know how its been used.

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
Good to know, me being inexperienced when it comes to these machines. Well, I would be buying privately to save on sales tax. I don't know much about the GS flaws, and in terms of a warranty that would be a good idea!
Where are you that you don't have to pay sales tax on a private sale?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
woolyzero
n00b

Oddometer: 7
a few years ago i found a used vstrom on ebay that was well farkled with 30,000 miles for agreat price. in three years all i've spent is for tires, a battery and a new chain and sprockets. and at 51,000 miles it still runs great but i'm ready for something different so i can probably get my money back when i sell in the spring. i'd buy used again if i wasn't buying a hyperstrada.
woolyzero is offline   Reply With Quote