User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
uglybassplayer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Dakar racer from Devon, England

One of the most vivid memories i have from my youth is standing in a large double garage on a sunny afternoon with my Uncle, Cousin and the owner of the house.

I remember he was working on a big offroad motorbike and the walls of the garage being covered in race numbers. trophys and other racing memorabilia.

At the time my uncle explained that the owner of the house was preparing for the Paris Dakar (or he had competed in the Dakar) however at the time i was too young to take this information in!

My interest in the Dakar is starting to become a bit more like an obsession and this memory came back to me while reading Laurence Hackings book (the bit where he describes loading his XR into a crate in his garage), i have tried searching through what Dakar history i can find to see if any UK riders could match my memory but no luck.

Does anyone know of a rider based in the south west of england (he may not have been English but was living in Devon) who raced the Dakar in the late 90's?

Sorry i can't offer much more information than that, Me the small boy was to young and to in awe of the guy who was going to do (or had done) a race which sounded like a unbelievable adventure (riding my bike to the play park was a long way how could it be possible to ride a motorbike to Dakar from Paris!) to take in names or make of bike.

Any information greatly appretiated
uglybassplayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Possibly John Deacon

I believe John Deacon was from the west county!

John Deacon (motorcyclist)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
John Deacon (1962 8 August 2001) was a Motorcycle enduro racer. He had won several Paris Dakar Rally stages. He died as a result of head injuries sustained when his BMW bike flipped, 77 miles from the town of Palmyra in Syria during the seventh stage of the Masters Rally between France and Jordan. He was lying third in the event at the time.
He won the British Enduro four-stroke championship on ten occasions and won nine gold medals at the International Six Days Enduro event. He first contested the Paris-Dakar in 1997, becoming only the second British rider to finish the three-week, 7,000-mile event across Africa on a motorcycle. Within two years, and still funding his own participation, he claimed his country's best finish of sixth, beaten by five riders who enjoyed substantial financial backing.
The dangers of the sport were highlighted in the 2000 event, run in reverse from Senegal to Egypt, when he was offered a ride for the BMW Gauloises team but crashed on the fifth day, fracturing his pelvis and wrist, as well as dislocating his shoulder.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
uglybassplayer OP
Adventurer

Wow if it was John Deacon what an Honour to have met him!

Wish i could remember more detail, but from what i can remember i had assumed it was a amatuer racer but it could just have been that BMW kept all the exciting stuff and didn't let him take it home?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 550
UBP

Sounds like it was John Deacon and yes he was definitely from Devon,

You might want to ask Loki on Rallymoto as she too is a Devonian and knew John when she was younger (although she is a wee bit busy building F1 cars at the moment).

MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
uglybassplayer OP
Adventurer

Reading that Wiki it looks like he funded his first few attempts at the Dakar and at the right time to.... just finding it hard to believe it could have been someone that significant.

(and i mean no disrespect to racers from Devon, i mean i'm finding it hard to believe i was that close to a real Dakar racer in the sleepy part of Devon where i grew up and nothing really ever happened!)

uglybassplayer screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 06:26 AM
Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybassplayer View Post
Reading that Wiki it looks like he funded his first few attempts at the Dakar and at the right time to.... just finding it hard to believe it could have been someone that significant.

(and i mean no disrespect to racers from Devon, i mean i'm finding it hard to believe i was that close to a real Dakar racer in the sleepy part of Devon where i grew up and nothing really ever happened!)
Not quite as sleepy, but you have Sam Sunderland from Dorset now - still a little bit wurzle though

too old screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 10:14 AM
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
uglybassplayer OP
Adventurer

Thanks all, how fortunate i was to meet him even if i was to young to take it in, will be doing some further research and making a trip to his family shop sometime in the future.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #8
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,960
Another link which describes in a little more detail his story....

http://www.scottishenduros.co.uk/99/deacon.htm
Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
uglybassplayer OP
Adventurer

Thanks 640
Old 12-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
I agree - certainly sounds like John Deacon

JD Racing still continues as a KTM dealership in Saltash

http://www.johndeaconracing.co.uk/index2.htm

Clearly proud of their history

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
silverstone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
book

For your info there is a book dedicated to John Deacon called Dakar " The Challenge of the Dakar" by Dot and Jim Jones. Published by Dinefwr Publishers. email dinefwr.press@btopenworld.com The book is not about Deacon but of the Dakar in Africa. Great pictures of the like,s of Richard Sainct ( Deacon,s team mate.) Alfie Cox, Giovani Sala, Fabrizio Meoni as well of famous car drivers.

Deacon died in Syria while competing in the Master Rally, his warm up event for Dakar 2002.

my face is laying on the pavement, tasting something awful, i hate it when that happens...
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstone View Post
For your info there is a book dedicated to John Deacon called Dakar " The Challenge of the Dakar" by Dot and Jim Jones. Published by Dinefwr Publishers. email dinefwr.press@btopenworld.com The book is not about Deacon but of the Dakar in Africa. Great pictures of the like,s of Richard Sainct ( Deacon,s team mate.) Alfie Cox, Giovani Sala, Fabrizio Meoni as well of famous car drivers.

Deacon died in Syria while competing in the Master Rally, his warm up event for Dakar 2002.
Thanks for sharing - tracked down a copy on Amazon and ordered it !

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybassplayer View Post
Wow if it was John Deacon what an Honour to have met him!

Wish i could remember more detail, but from what i can remember i had assumed it was a amatuer racer but it could just have been that BMW kept all the exciting stuff and didn't let him take it home?
Just your first few words made me think of John Deacon. Of course at that time he was about to make a name for himself with Paris Dakar. BMW came later.

I never met him as I was already living here in the Falklands, but I purchased a 4stroke Husky enduro of his through Mike Carter in '94 and shipped it here. That bike later went back to UK ridden by a local when I took the first Falkland Islands team to compete in the Welsh 2 Day.

I remember where I was when I heard of his death. Very sad indeed. I never got to see him ride. It must have been a wonderful sight.

Get yourself across to the Dakar!
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote