User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Whoot "new" bike 98' Triumph Trophy

I finally got a few pics added below for those who requested :) Yeah....I'm slow.....

I picked up a 98' 1200 Trophy, throttlemeister, corbin w/ back rest and stock bags w/ 33k miles. It's got a stage 1 jet kit in int and supposedly dyno'd quite well(I'd say the number but I don't think it's right lol). Either way, she fires right up and pulls smooth all the way up, after about 1800rpm it's fantastic. It also has new fork seals/fluid, and a set of gen mar risers installed, wish it was heli's but I'll take them.

I rode it about 150 miles home, mostly interstate at 80mph plus(not being stupid, traffic was hauling ass) and it did quite well despite really needing new shoes. Cosmetically it's definately been dropped on each side but I don't require a bike to be show room clean as long as it's mechanically sound and priced right and I think it was a steal.

It does need new tires, chain and sprockets, and I'm not totally sure about the front brakes. The lever pull seems to require greater effort than I feel is right. Initial pull makes for decent braking power, but if you want real power it requires alot of effort and the master cylinder even makes a little noise if you pull the lever hard. I plan to rebuild it(I think a zrx1200 kit works for this) and possibly swap in some busa' calipers.

At any rate, I'm pretty excited about this bike and plan to dress it up and clean it up over winter should make a nice traveling bike. I do think I'll gear it so it's running a few less rpm's at highway speed in hopes of gaining a couple mpg...this baby drinks fuel, really my only complaint so far other than the brakes.

Any one know where to go for "all things trophy" online? I know it's not an st11 or connie in terms of an online following....

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD

elementalg20 screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 10:27 AM
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
I picked up a 98' 1200 Trophy, throttlemeister, corbin w/ back rest and stock bags w/ 33k miles. It's got a stage 1 jet kit in int and supposedly dyno'd quite well(I'd say the number but I don't think it's right lol). Either way, she fires right up and pulls smooth all the way up, after about 1800rpm it's fantastic. It also has new fork seals/fluid, and a set of gen mar risers installed, wish it was heli's but I'll take them.

I rode it about 150 miles home, mostly interstate at 80mph plus(not being stupid, traffic was hauling ass) and it did quite well despite really needing new shoes. Cosmetically it's definately been dropped on each side but I don't require a bike to be show room clean as long as it's mechanically sound and priced right and I think it was a steal.

It does need new tires, chain and sprockets, and I'm not totally sure about the front brakes. The lever pull seems to require greater effort than I feel is right. Initial pull makes for decent braking power, but if you want real power it requires alot of effort and the master cylinder even makes a little noise if you pull the lever hard. I plan to rebuild it(I think a zrx1200 kit works for this) and possibly swap in some busa' calipers.

At any rate, I'm pretty excited about this bike and plan to dress it up and clean it up over winter should make a nice traveling bike. I do think I'll gear it so it's running a few less rpm's at highway speed in hopes of gaining a couple mpg...this baby drinks fuel, really my only complaint so far other than the brakes.

Any one know where to go for "all things trophy" online? I know it's not an st11 or connie in terms of an online following....
Pics please! I've been looking at this bike as well... or the 900 version.
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Nice bike, I love those.

I do t have any Trophy-specific advice other than I wouldn't "upgrade" to Busa calipers. I rode a ZRX which has the same front calipers and despite the six pistons and cool looking gold finish, they are not that great. I believe the internal passages were designed by Satan himself to defy bleeding, making you use your entire vocabulary of curses and ensuring your eternal damnation.

The popular upgrade among the ZRX crowd is to two piston calipers from an SV I believe.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
cascadetiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
33,000 miles is just broken in. I have a 98 TIger with 30,000 miles. Great motors!
cascadetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Ddouble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Go here for info: http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/

These are great bikes. High quality, and hell for strong.They handle fairly well, but are heavy. There are just a few design weaknesses. I don't know a great deal about the 4 cylinder 1200s, but I imagine they share the same issues as the 900s - weak starter sprag clutch, alternator drive, ignition coils...

This was Triumphs re-entry into the modern motorcycle industry, and they were careful not to blow it. They built a very reliable bike.

My '98 Sprint Exec has about 105,000 miles on it and is going strong!
Ddouble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post

www.triumphrat.net is my go to site for brand specific info. Congrats! They're run all around bikes that go forever. Keep the battery topped up and you shouldn't have to worry about the sprag either. My Daytona stays on a tender when not in use.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,506
I bought one new in 1998, put over 80,000 miles on it and at the time I sold it would have taken it anywhere. Guy who bought it from me is still riding it, no idea how many miles are on it now.

A few upgrades that made a world of difference. 1. race Tech Springs and emulators in the forks. No more front end dive. 2. K&N air filter and pipe mod (7/8 hole saw to the baffle) Better sound and increase in power and MPGs. 3. Side bag attachment mod (I lost a bag at interstate speed b/c of the lacking attachment system) You can drill the bag where the rubber stopper is and use a longer bolt to attach bag to bike. I used a wingnut so it could still be easily removed. And last, depends on your height, windscreen. I bought the Cee Bailey's tallest screen. Really helps the buffeting.

Sold my 1200 4 or so years ago and found another a few weeks ago (900) .

Good luck with the bike, they are great.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy rider View Post
www.triumphrat.net is my go to site for brand specific info. Congrats! They're run all around bikes that go forever. Keep the battery topped up and you shouldn't have to worry about the sprag either. My Daytona stays on a tender when not in use.

You can find more in depth Triumph info at www.triumphtorque.com Those guys know their Triumphs. And I'd like to find a nice 1200 Trophy myself.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,637
I put the 6-piston calipers off a Super III onto my '98 Sprint. It would stop! They were in the Triumph accessory catalog at the time. I'd try to source a set of those.

I also went with the chain and sprocket set off a Steamer Tiger on my Sprint Executive. The gearing change really woke the bike up!
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Ok, finally got a day it wasn't raining to snap a few pics. She isn't a beauty queen but it's not bad for a 98' I suppose.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Nice! I'm not sure about the backrest though...
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,694
I always enjoy a good Triumph. The Trophy is such a beautiful bike. I had Kawasaki ZX7R, same as Hayabusa 6 pots calipers on my 06 Sprint. Those forks look similar. It may be a bolt on. I also had a bigger master cylinder. When I fixed brakes, my front suspension was too weak.. it would dive... so I bought a bit stiffer springs..
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Busa calipers will indeed fit it, I think those, maybe a master? and some race tech springs and some emulators and she'd be awesome....time will tell. I have to get my KTM squared away and sold first to fund any real mods to this machine. This one may well be my keeper......

Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 928
Suzuki 6-pots are much better than the Kawasaki 6-pots (suffer less from corrosion).....

BUT if you want GOOOOOD brakes, go for the 4-pots off older GSXR or Bandit - this is known to be a good choice for performance, rather than bling
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote