User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
BigCanoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
We need a Zuma 250, or Ruckus 250!

I love the styling of these two scooters, but they are just a little too small for a primary bike (for me). Wouldn't they scale up nicely in size to a 250 or so?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
I fully agree. I know they are plenty of midsize options from Kymco, Aprilia, Vespa, etc, but I could really dig a Zuma 250 or ruck.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,371
Well go buy a Big Ruckus.

http://motorcycles.yakaz.com/honda-250-ruckus-for-sale

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
BigCanoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oh ya, I forgot about that! Wonder why they dropped it?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Because they really didn't sell well.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
nicholastanguma
nicholastanguma

Oddometer: 1,618
The Ruckus 50 is a brilliant piece of minimalist design study. They're my favorite scooter because they don't look like a scooter at all--this is exactly what admirers of the Ruckus usually say attracts them. Even Harley pirates will stop to admire a Ruckus.

The Ruckus 250 was a flop because it's just fugly. Acres of plastic. Ponderous profile. It has none of its little brother's charming simplicity.

If Honda gave us a 250cc Ruck that still looked like a proper 50cc Ruck I'd buy several of 'em.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,563
Or even CT 250.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
I have a Zuma 125. It will go anywhere but the freeway. I have already put over 1000 miles on it riding around the local backroads in the month since I got it. A 250 would be nice, but I don't want to even thing about what it would cost. I believe the Big Ruckus and Reflex were failures mostly because of the price. Same with the Helix, which I really liked. They brought it back, old design, tooling and R&D already paid for, and priced it like a small car. Honda just doesn't seem to get it with the price thing. They have quality, but they are not a prestige brand, and they can't base their prices on that like Vespa, Ducati, Aprilia, Harley, BMW, etc. Honda has better quality than most of those brands, but they don't have the status or desirability factor, and that makes a big difference.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
BigCanoe OP
Studly Adventurer

Ya, I still want a Zuma, even if its only a 125 :)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
I've only had it a month and 1000 miles, but I can highly recommend the Zuma 125. Only issue I have with it, and that is only cosmetic, it that HUGE, UGLY rear fender. It is completely unnecessary, there is a much smaller rear fender under it, and Yamaha went out of their way to make it difficult to remove. It holds several other things in place. I will eventually cut most of mine off. The Zuma 125 will hold 55 mph on a flat road. I had mine on the freeway for about 5 miles, I was more afraid of cops than getting run over, as it is not freeway legal.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
nicholastanguma
nicholastanguma

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Honda just doesn't seem to get it with the price thing. They have quality, but they are not a prestige brand, and they can't base their prices on that like Vespa, Ducati, Aprilia, Harley, BMW, etc. Honda has better quality than most of those brands, but they don't have the status or desirability factor, and that makes a big difference.

Absolutely true.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
In a jam, you can turn a Helix into a pretty cool "mad max" machine. Strip the body off, paint the frame, throw on a tractor seat...
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have a Zuma 125. It will go anywhere but the freeway. I have already put over 1000 miles on it riding around the local backroads in the month since I got it. A 250 would be nice, but I don't want to even thing about what it would cost. I believe the Big Ruckus and Reflex were failures mostly because of the price. Same with the Helix, which I really liked. They brought it back, old design, tooling and R&D already paid for, and priced it like a small car. Honda just doesn't seem to get it with the price thing. They have quality, but they are not a prestige brand, and they can't base their prices on that like Vespa, Ducati, Aprilia, Harley, BMW, etc. Honda has better quality than most of those brands, but they don't have the status or desirability factor, and that makes a big difference.
Regarding the engines, Honda has impressive quality. But when it comes to pieces breaking off, and the ordeal of working on Honda scooters, Honda's attitude toward long term ownership becomes clear. Hondas, through pain and suffering, can be made to last a very long time. But that is not Honda's intent. They make their scooters to be driven for several years and scrapped. The beauty of the other brands mentioned above is that they are made to last a lifetime, and to be a rich experience to work on. Hardware that comes apart without breaking or sawing, details that hold up for many years, removable wheels, road holding suspensions. I have been driving the same European scooter for 40 years, and the quality is remarkable. I also have the first Honda Elite, the 1984 125, and as impressive as it is on its strong points, there is a lot of heavy wire holding it together now.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
I agree, Honda has overpriced their machines for too long; the Helix was last MSRP'd at over $5,000! Granted, they can and WILL last for 20+ years, that's just an insane amount of cash to drop on a small bike. I actually considered buying a new PCX150, until I saw the OTD price... screw that, I could buy three used Helixes for that much!
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by max57 View Post
Regarding the engines, Honda has impressive quality. But when it comes to pieces breaking off, and the ordeal of working on Honda scooters, Honda's attitude toward long term ownership becomes clear. Hondas, through pain and suffering, can be made to last a very long time. But that is not Honda's intent. They make their scooters to be driven for several years and scrapped. The beauty of the other brands mentioned above is that they are made to last a lifetime, and to be a rich experience to work on. Hardware that comes apart without breaking or sawing, details that hold up for many years, removable wheels, road holding suspensions. I have been driving the same European scooter for 40 years, and the quality is remarkable. I also have the first Honda Elite, the 1984 125, and as impressive as it is on its strong points, there is a lot of heavy wire holding it together now.
Are you high?
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote