Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 306
I just saw a 2003 Suzuki SV650 go for 1600.00 on ebay. That would have been a good choice.
Check there, sort the results by price.
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
sam handwich OP
bikeless and looking

Oddometer: 24
Ah right forgot ebay! Been scouring craigslist
sam handwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam handwich View Post
Um...so...maybe you could make your own thread?

Thanks for lots of helpful answers everyone - I'm starting to get a better idea of what I can expect. I weigh 135, by the way. I haven't done any wrenching in the past, but I'm not averse to it. Problem is, I don't have any tools yet. I realize I'll probably have to spend a bit after buying - I'm just hoping to get something rideable to start with. Somewhere there's a sweet spot where I don't have to immediately spend more post-purchase that I could have just spent up-front for something with fewer problems.
Some good suggestions previously but I think your glitch is going to be your $1500 budget since you don't do your own work. Anything remotely old you buy is going to need work...period. At least figure the carbs are going to need cleaning or rebuilding, brake fluid flushed and likely tires. If a shop has to do it budget another $500 minimum. Expensive hourly shop rates apply if they're rebuilding a motor or just changing your oil. Most folks generally don't sell off perfectly running wonderful motorcycles usually sell off stuff that's going to need money invested soon or bikes they haven't used in a long time and been sitting and will at least need major servicing to be reliable. I think your plan is good but your budget is weak.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
For an idea of what can be available in your price range, check out the "cheep bike challenge" thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482885

If you're looking for a great buy from Craigslist, several things are important. You need to know exactly which bikes you would be satisfied with. You need to be able to buy, or at least look at, a bike that looks like a good deal as soon as you see the ad pop up on the list. Check the list several times every day. Great buys show up on Craigslist fairly often, but they don't stay there long because people who are able to act quickly usually snap them up in the first few hours after they are listed.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
sam handwich OP
bikeless and looking

Any thoughts on a Kawasaki KZ650?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
You're kidding yourself buddy.
Have you ridden a Blast? Sounds like Willis has.

What you don't know is that the concept of "half a Sportster engine" had been done once before, by none other than Dr. John Whittner, the guy who was responsible for most of the performance ideas that Moto-Guzzi applied to their more recent generations of bikes.
He built a custom Sportster cafe racer using an engine with the rear cylinder blanked off.
His performance target was the Velocette Thruxton, which among vintage British singles was considered to be more than adequately powerful.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
deadzed
Meat Popscicle

Oddometer: 90
At 5'2" 135lbs. I'd give serious consideration to the ninja 250.

I normally ride a Kawasaki Concours, but I steal my girlfriend's ninja all the time. I'm 6' & 210lbs. I look ridiculous on it, but damn it's a lot of fun to ride! You can pick up a 1st gen (pre 2008) pretty cheap. really light, quick, unbelievably agile & they made the thing for 20yrs so parts & farkles are cheap & plentiful. It's no dual sport, but it handles dirt & gravel roads just fine. It's ergonomics are much kinder than a supersport. I've done all day rides with it.

Seriously. Great bike. cheap. light. low. agile. fun fun fun.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence
deadzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam handwich View Post
Any thoughts on a Kawasaki KZ650?
Yeah, but I guess you're not good at reading comprehension, because I and others said this before.
The KZ650 has FOUR carburetors. Since it is accepted that fuelling problems increase exponentially with the amount of metering devices employed, my rough math says you will have SIXTEEN times more problems than a bike with one carburetor.
Great in its day, it is a useless artifact now.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #24
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 499
There were kz650 twins.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #25
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 499
My first bikes were a Blast and a Savage. I'd take the Savage back first but the Blast with some dual sport tires might be alarmingly cool.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #26
cartejo5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
Yeah, but I guess you're not good at reading comprehension, because I and others said this before.
The KZ650 has FOUR carburetors. Since it is accepted that fuelling problems increase exponentially with the amount of metering devices employed, my rough math says you will have SIXTEEN times more problems than a bike with one carburetor.
Great in its day, it is a useless artifact now.
My arse.................

Then in its hayday 1978

and now summer this year

Z650 - great choice, quickish, economical and just good fun.
cartejo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #27
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,243
I just helped a lady buy a 2004 Suz Savage 650 for $1700 that needed a fork seals, brake pads on front, and carb clean. So about $50 in parts, one afternoon, and it ended up a damn nice bike. Quite surprised by the power and capabilities. And it's nice and low and light for a smaller rider.
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #28
sam handwich OP
bikeless and looking

Ok, so let me ask this: What do you think is a reasonable budget for something truly ready to ride? I'm not saying something that will never need repairs, but something that won't need work immediately post-purchase.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #29
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
If you can afford about $100 a month there are new bikes that run around $4200 (just basic maintenance to start)
Honda Rebel 250 - I know you don't want a cruiser, but it has a very low seat and a great bike for learning (plus you can find tons of them with very low mileage on Craig's list - ride it for a while and sell for the same price, probably just have to clean out the carb because it's been sitting) 75 on the freeway
Ninja 250 - good sport bike
Yamaha xt250 - dual sport version of a rebel (just bought one - very fun, max 65 on freeway)lowest seat you can get on this type of bike.

I know these are smaller displacement bikes than you want, but they're all great bikes for getting back into riding after a loooong hiatus. All can be bought new for about $4000 with some negotiation (out the door, 2012 models) if you can do the monthly payment (my Rebel is $86/month)

If you want something in between a 250 and the Sportster there isn't much new out there except for some 650 cruisers and dirt bikes and some dual sports with high seats (which I definitely could be wrong about and I'm sure somebody will let me know :loll )

IMHO - take the msf course, I rode about 22 years ago (still a newbie :loll ) and it was a great investment for getting back into it.

Have fun - I'm soooooo glad I started riding again!!!!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
Ooops, forgot one thing. These bikes are all very light.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote