Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #76
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,819

...and be careful with old bike's, because much like a Lay's potato chip, no one can have just one

www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #77
deadzed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I've been seeing a bunch of 2000-01 & 02 Savage 650s in my area for around $1500. couple of 'em look really clean.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence
deadzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #78
sam handwich OP
bikeless and looking

Oddometer: 24
About to go look at a 1986 Honda Magna with <9,000 miles for $1600. Supposedly, nothing wrong with it. It's 4 cylinder, so I know that complicates things a bit...but it seems like a real good deal. Comments?
sam handwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #79
deadzed
Adventurer

1986 Magna, Very powerful. It'll walk off & leave many bigger bikes. Don't grab a handful of throttle all at once or it'll stand up, drop you on the ground & run off to play in traffic.

It's a bit tall. But you're the best judge of what fits.
some had a problem with cam pitting due to poor top end oiling. there used to be kits available to fix that issue & the V65 was more known for it than the V45.

it's older so anything rubber or plastic will have the potential for issues.

the carbs are a royal sonofabitch to get on or off of the bike.

Automatically switches from main to reserve tank & turn on a light when it does.
Watch your miles because if the light doesn't work properly, it'll leave you stranded.

Shaft drive is nice and trouble free.
6 speed transmission is nice.

They have a tendency for the fan switch to fail. Run it 'till it's hot & make sure the radiator fan kicks on.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #80
sam handwich OP
bikeless and looking

Thanks a lot deadzed. Cam pitting - can you explain what it is and how to check for it? If it exists, how big an issue is it?

Seat height is supposedly 27.8". Is that what you're referring to as tall, or do you mean the overall height of the bike?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #81
AlanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Nighthawk, pure and simple

Sam, I have one word for you - Nighthawk. Get any of the 4-cylinder versions and you'll be a happy camper. I've been riding an '84 700S since '99 and all I've had to do was change the oil and put tires on it. The damn things are bulletproof, easy to ride and inexpensive. The '80's versions were all shaft drive for low maintenance, too.

Alan
AlanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #82
deadzed
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam handwich View Post
Thanks a lot deadzed. Cam pitting - can you explain what it is and how to check for it? If it exists, how big an issue is it?

Seat height is supposedly 27.8". Is that what you're referring to as tall, or do you mean the overall height of the bike?
Unfortunately, unless it's there's a bunch of noise coming from the valve covers, the only way to check for pitting is to pull the covers & look.
Here's a thread about it;
http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529

The 80's Japanese cruisers were taller than their modern counterparts. Center of gravity was also higher.

I had an '82 & a '98 Magna. (1st & 3rd generations, the '86 you're looking at is 1st gen)
I'd consider the '82 to be the superior machine, (shaft drive .vs chain, 6 gears .vs 5, disk brakes .vs drum) but it is a complicated beastie.

T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #83
deadzed
Adventurer

To put a little more emphasis on it. Walk away if there are any carb problems at all. They really are an unbelievable pain in the ass.

T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #84
sam handwich OP
bikeless and looking

After looking it over and taking it for a spin, it seems to be in great shape (to my untrained eye and some checklists I found online). The person selling it seems honest and says its been trouble free in the two years he's had it. First owner repainted it. Don't know why. All the rubber and plastic I could see looked pretty much like new. It clearly has been well taken care of. He'll sell for $15000. I feel pretty good about it.

Alan - I'd be all over a nighthawk, but I'm not tall enough.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #85
deadzed
Adventurer

Best of luck. I'm pretty wary of older bikes, but I've really got a soft spot for the Honda V4s.
Never failed to irritate my friends with 1100+ cc bikes when my little 750 wouldn't even bother to tip it's hat before saying bye bye.
The modern VFR that evolved from that old Magna is still one the the best lightweight sport tourers out there.

T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #86
AlanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Re: Nighthawk

Sam - I have a 30-inch inseam and I virtually flat-foot my 700. The 550 (more cruiser-y) and 650 are even shorter. Have you sat on any? I think you'd find they're not too tall for you, but good luck with whatever you end up with.

Alan
AlanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #87
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam handwich View Post
After looking it over and taking it for a spin, it seems to be in great shape (to my untrained eye and some checklists I found online). The person selling it seems honest and says its been trouble free in the two years he's had it. First owner repainted it. Don't know why. All the rubber and plastic I could see looked pretty much like new. It clearly has been well taken care of. He'll sell for $15000. I feel pretty good about it.

Alan - I'd be all over a nighthawk, but I'm not tall enough.
Dang, you really increased your budget!!
xt250 "Little Donkey" - sold August 2013
Honda Rebel "The Wee Beastie" - sold May 2013
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #88
sam handwich OP
bikeless and looking

Uhh...uh oh. A handshake isnt legally binding, right?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #89
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,049
Did you buy your bike? Pics?
xt250 "Little Donkey" - sold August 2013
Honda Rebel "The Wee Beastie" - sold May 2013
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #90
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartejo5 View Post
My arse.................

Then in its hayday 1978

and now summer this year

Z650 - great choice, quickish, economical and just good fun.

Holy smoke! THAT brings back some memories! My brother had one almost exactly like that, same color etc... He seldom rode it, but I made sure the poor bike didn't feel neglected!

At 16, back in the day on that bike.... I was cool as hell!

I'd ride one today and be happy on it.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote