Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #31
gpounce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I grew up rural on a small family farm, among other things we grew hay and sold it to the local horse people. I have approximately zero patience for the horse nonsense after enduring yearly horse "events" where they started putting obstacles out in the public roads for some course or other they were plodding along. Haven't passed one on my motorcycle yet but I'd do it like I did in the old station wagon on the little dirt roads, slow down so as to not be a jackass, do not stop, do not be overly concerned about dust = get on with it. As soon as they start cleaning up their horse droppings I'll be more concerned about not kicking up dust or being the slightest bit solicitous of the horse's "feelings".

Don't get me started on the damn fox-hunts, quite a few times the horse people lost track of their dogs which then ran amok through our woods. I nearly started shooting the dogs on a couple occasions. It got better once the horse people tightened up their fences to keep their dogs off other people's land- but I guess the foxes learned that and just stayed elsewhere because their "hunts" haven't happened for some time.. its no fun if theres no victim to dismember lol
gpounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #32
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Proper etiquette when encountering elephants

When aboard a good adventure bike, and there is plenty of room . . . .
Visit here

You cannot just leave an elephant parked in gear, and having an out-of-control elephant roaming near the parked motorcycles is risky, so the usual method is to hobble it by one leg:

Don't forget to remove this before starting-up elephant otherwise there will be only three legs available for forward motion. That's just like forgetting to remove a disc lock.

Elephant performing 'Stoppie' (1860x1892 pixel)

Look out for Elephant Warning signs.

Some Americans favor going to a political rally by elephant but have difficulty deciding on using one from Africa or India, as can be seen by the leaving out of the ears. (African ones have bigger ears)
Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #33
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
A lot depends on the horse, the rider and the combination. When I had my Morgan he didn't give a shit about anything with an engine. He was almost bulletproof when I was on him. Had coyotes jump out right in front of us. No problem. Rattlesnake? Well, he'd take a little turn and give the snake about 3 feet of room. Herd of deer or elk? No problem. Stupid buck in the rut running rings around us? Look at it like it's weird, but just keep on keepin' on. Bear? He was VERY attentive but most anxious to do whatever I told him to at the moment. However, some asshole on a mountain bike comes blasting down the hill behind us and tries to pass us without a word? Problem. One time damn near killed the guy. Reno "bounced" once and since we were on a trail about two horses wide he ended up taking the whole trail and the dude on the bike went over the side. All they have to do is say something when a ways back and no problem.

Funny thing is Reno didn't like sticks across the trail. Would walk right over a big king snake, step around a rattler. You'd think the only reason he'd fear a stick would be because it looked like a snake . But, well, he was, after all, a horse....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #34
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
I got the "remove helmet" thing from a lady on the trail who told me that we look like "Predator" to the horses with them on.
Maybe that lady's horses get to watch movies. I'll bet that most don't.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #35
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
My encounter this past weekend was peculiar in the fact that the riders didn't do anything at all for a few moments, other than stare at me. I don't know if they didn't know what to do or what.

Greg
I'm sure they were waiting to see what YOU would do. One of the problems with "trail etiquette" is that many people don't know it. And that goes for equestrians, hikers, and bikers.

Many times, on trails shared with hikers and mountain bikes here where I live, I pull the horse trailside and stop because the oncoming hiker or mountain biker will not yield right of way. They just keep coming, and with a blank look on thier face.

On this particular multi-use trail, horses have the right of way when meeting on the trail. It's about 50/50 on whether the oncoming hiker/biker knows this and will step aside. If being overtaken, it's the obligation of the slower party to move right, which I gladly do for the mountain bikers.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #36
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
A some asshole on a mountain bike comes blasting down the hill behind us and tries to pass us without a word? Problem. One time damn near killed the guy. Reno "bounced" once and since we were on a trail about two horses wide he ended up taking the whole trail and the dude on the bike went over the side. All they have to do is say something when a ways back and no problem.
That's because a lot of those guys have thier heads down and aren't looking very far ahead.

Several times I've had to yell to get the mountain biker's attention because he was looking down at the ground and wasn't aware of two horses on the trail right in front of him. Then the guy panics and slides all over the place. It's kind of funny, if it wasn't potentially so dangerous.

For me, it's people either not paying attention, or simply not knowing what to do. Having grown up around horses, that's a foreign concept to me, but I know that many people have simply never been around the animals.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #37
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Give them time to notice, then go by quietly

As you have mentioned, when they're coming AT me, I will pull the bike to the side and shut it off until they pass. Will also open the flipup if that's the helmet I have on so the horsey can see it's a human.

However, when coming from behind, all you can do is linger a ways back so they'll hopefully pick you up with an over-the-shoulder look when they hear you. Then, after 10 seconds or so (if they haven't seen you), just pull as far to the left of them as possible (I wait until no cars are coming and go all the way to the shoulder of the other lane), then putt by in 1st or second gear just above idle. Stay that way until maybe 200-300 feet ahead of them then go ahead and resume your ride.

Basically give them time to figure out you're there, then courteously and slowly go by, keeping your noise (exhaust/RPM) low until you're well ahead of them. Seems to work well enough, and hopefully presents them with an image of a courteous cycle rider trying to be kind to them and their horse.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #38
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Seems to work well enough, and hopefully presents them with an image of a courteous cycle rider trying to be kind to them and their horse.
^^^This
I am a lifelong horseman and dual sport addict. Yes, it is the horse rider's responsibility to control their horse and to train a horse to accept things they are likely to encounter on the trail. And the truth is, a horse is more likely to be freaked out by being asked to pass a parked motorcycle than by being passed by a motorcycle moving at a steady speed. (The exception would be on a tight trail, where you should abandon the trail for your own safety!)

So the best thing you can do, really, is just try to appear concerned and courteous--this will shine well on all of us, but probably not change whether or not their horse kicks you in the face or bucks the rider off.

My office:

www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #39
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I give them as wide a birth as possible but in my opinion, if the horse is out where it will encounter motorcycles or ATVs etc....the rider should have control of the animal. It's really not my responsibility to make sure their horse doesn't get spooked. I don't buzz by them at high speed but I'm not going to sit and wait while they pass or wait for instructions as to how they would like me to pass. I treat them like anyone else I meet, give them room and slow down as I pass....
The above is what any skilled equestrian would expect.

Grew up in horse country, riding to the hunt & all that crap. As far as horses, we have an understanding now- I don't ride them & they don't ride me.

This "stop the world, I'm riding my horse" mindset is bullshit.

If you can't ride the trail, don't leave the paddock. It's not 1812, you damn sure shouldn't be on the road.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #40
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
The question has been answered, so i'll go off topic.

Horse riders are generally treated a a privileged class.
That's because they're usually either married to- or daughters of- the local big-wigs.

M
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #41
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,420
I pull over and stop until they pass. Those horses are dangerous..
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #42
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
It's not 1812, you damn sure shouldn't be on the road.
Horses are legal transportation on roads in many parts of the country.

They have the same rights to the lane as a bicycle or motorcycle.

Unlike the pedal bikers, most equestrians do not force the issue.

But you knew that.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #43
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,866
Yes, I am aware. It may be legal, it just isn't very smart. Or safe.

But, it is a personal choice.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #44
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Ok I'll pose another question....just to be a spoon....

How come horses can crap all over the road with out the rider being required to pick it up but if my dog craps there its $150 fine if you don't pick it up??

Discuss.....
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #45
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,343
Because they eat different stuff.

I like horses and I am always glad to see people riding them, so I will do whatever I can to make their ride enjoyable.

Its real nice around here, if you have a tag on your bike, you can go anyplace and do whatever you want at whatever speed you want.
I would like to keep it that way for everyone, jeeps, horses, hikers, motorcycles.
If I was to be an ass and blast past horses and someone fell and got hurt, you would hear people calling to ban those bikers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Ok I'll pose another question....just to be a spoon....

How come horses can crap all over the road with out the rider being required to pick it up but if my dog craps there its $150 fine if you don't pick it up??

Discuss.....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote