Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
mutineer OP
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,916
Any of you hippies got a pilots license?

Because I don't have enoug shit to do

And even with 843 hours as an aircrew on P3's I have zero time flying anything

So who got there ticket?

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,780
You might check with 'pilot'.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
mutineer OP
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,916
He sold his plane you goofball

And besides I can call him

I want some information from some complete strangers

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,377
Yep, SEL Glider, have some balloon time, some inst. time. Last time I looked I think it was 500 some hours.

Quit flying a long time ago when the cost started to exceed my spare cash. Motorcycles are a lot less expensive unless you are your own mechanic.

Thought about it a few years back, got my ticket re-punched and discovered that a $150 rental plane had two half-working radios - you had to work duplex - transmit on one and receive on the other, plus avgas is up around $5-6/gallon most airports and even with an STC for auto gas, the differential is not what it used to be. And that particular Cherokee was older than I am. I'm 53.....

So, I'm saying it's a financial committment both to get the license and to keep it current. The regulations have a minimum standard, but you really need a bit more than that.

Joining a flying club is one way to lessen the cost, or so I'm told.

We had some great times in planes - my dad was a pilot, we took his plane to Bejing - he got to fly the Hump. I think it was the happiest month of his entire life - we had both a tow plane and a glider and both were checked out to do either - so sometimes he'd fly the glider and I'd tow, then we would switch. We flew out of a podunk field and could take the runway for 20 minutes and no one cared.

When I first got my power ticket, we took a 4 day weekend and flew around the southwest, just flew to wherever, spent the night, then flew on the next day - we went to Phoenix to look at a plane dad was thinking of buying, then to visit his sister in Palm springs, a night in Reno then back to Colorado.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Got my SEL rating in 1973, back when general aviation was affordable. I was renting 150s through the college aero club for $7.50/hr wet, 172s for $10/hr wet, Cherokee 6s for $17

Flying straight and level got to be boring.

Built a Revmaster copy VW motor while in Minnesota,moved to Colorado, discovered dirt bikes and never built the KR2 plane. Sold the motor.

Was reading the other day about Cessna reintroducing the 172 with a diesel because they say the days are numbered that LL Av gas will be available. The 172 is a 1950s design/performance, not a good mountain plane, and will be priced at over $500,000. Who's going to be able to afford that?

RIP general aviation
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 955
I went the flying club route and got my PPL about 5 yrs ago. I highly recommend it. I have about 200hrs logged mostly 172 and 182 time.
Then I had kids so flying has taken a back seat, I just don't have the time or money right now to fly enough to be safe but I absolutely plan on getting back into it once the kids are grown up.
By then fuel prices will probably be astronomical so I was thinking an electric motor glider might be the ticket.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Daz-o-matic
HOT POOP

Oddometer: 344
Lowtime commercial helicopter pilot here (about 224 hours).

Working on finding my next break - it ain't easy to get in to the industry up here. Need experience to get a job, but can't get experience without said job. That, and there's a lot more lowtimers than there are entry level jobs.

But, I'll keep at it 'cause it's the most challenging, most fun, and most awesomest thing I've ever done (and I've been paid to start avalanches with explosives)!

I recently got a message that I made the "shortlist" for a position at a big company - hopefully it works out (fingers crossed)!

Fly safe,

D.
Daz-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,401
Got my Private 14 years ago. It was just a couple short years before prices started to get ridiculous (thanks to 9/11 insurance rates soared). If you're serious about getting your Private do it at a Part 141 flight school, they have a structured syllabus approved by the FAA and the minimum hour requirement is lower.

Once you get beyond the initial excitement of earning your ticket and getting some hours flying around in a 172, Cherokee whatever is pretty boring except for the landing. Kinda like taking your bike out hitting a couple corners with the rest of the time being on the slab. When 40 year old 172s started renting for over $80/hr I gave up.

These are FUN, probably the most fun I've ever had flying but it will cost you a lot of money to get into the seaplane hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Motorcycles are a lot less expensive unless you are your own mechanic
The parts are really what kill you, I spent some time as an A&P apprentice at an FBO in college and our labor rates were lower than the local Marina or Harley Dealership but the parts were astronomically expensive. we hung a newly overhauled engine on a guys Arrow and the bill was over $20,000 over 10 years ago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
Was reading the other day about Cessna reintroducing the 172 with a diesel because they say the days are numbered that LL Av gas will be available. The 172 is a 1950s design/performance, not a good mountain plane, and will be priced at over $500,000. Who's going to be able to afford that?

RIP general aviation
Seems like a good excuse to sell a dated design at a premium! Back in 1996 when the 172 was reintroduced it was something like $125K for a 160hp that could climb out at 500 fpm on a good day at Sea level and hopefully you didn't die from CO poisoning if you used cabin heat due to the exhaust systems being mounted incorrectly. At the time Cessna claimed the high cost was to pay for the litigation of the seat rail debacle in the 1980s.

MoGas STCs have been around for awhile and as long as the engines have hardened valve seats there's probably not much benefit from the 100LL on many planes.

Dukeryder screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 11:16 PM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 862
Whatcha wanna do with it?

Earn a living?

Have fun?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,325
Got mine about 15 or so years ago...wife has hers as well. Sold the plane about 10 years ago....I do miss it but I did not use it enough.

I will do it again after I hit the Lotto....but this time I want a 337.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #11
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
SEL in '85 SES in '02. Own a Cessna 140 and a hangar. Flying is not too expensive if you can do your own
maintenance or owner assisted with an A&P. I use auto gas to keep the cost down. -6 gallons an hour and no oil usage to speak of on my O200. Used airplanes are getting cheaper....and a good one can be had for less than $20K.
Good luck.
Bob

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
SEL in '85 SES in '02. Own a Cessna 140 and a hangar. Flying is not too expensive if you can do your own
maintenance or owner assisted with an A&P. I use auto gas to keep the cost down. -6 gallons an hour and no oil usage to speak of on my O200. Used airplanes are getting cheaper....and a good one can be had for less than $20K.
Good luck.
Bob
AD's and such are what killed it for me.....that and housing the thing. At the time I sold my plane in 2001 my hanger rent was $400 per month...it was just getting out of hand.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,633
The only thing I can afford to fly is an ultralight PPC, but it's much more fun than GA anyway. Uses 2.75 GPH of regular auto gas, stores in my garage on a small trailer, sets up in minutes, no pilot ticket required, less maintenance than my motorcycles. I've been flying it for 15 years and 1400 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
AD's and such are what killed it for me.....that and housing the thing. At the time I sold my plane in 2001 my hanger rent was $400 per month...it was just getting out of hand.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,221
ASEL ... 25 years ago... worked for the guy who owned the FBO... flew every single engined aircraft that he bought/sold.

337 mentioned earlier... for a while, we had a P337. What a hanger queen... but it was a great ride (but slow) when it flew.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer View Post
Because I don't have enoug shit to do

And even with 843 hours as an aircrew on P3's I have zero time flying anything

So who got there ticket?
CMEL (w/instrument, tailwheel, high-performance, etc.), did it through a college program. 200 hours
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: