User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Flyinguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
ATP multiengine land, type ratings in CE-500, CE-650, DA-10 and DA-50. Glad I get paid to do this cuz I couldn't afford my own. Hang in there DAZ, it will get better.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 5,006
ASEL, 172, 182, Cherokee, a little time in Bonanza, 310, T6 and Citabria.

Got the bug, hit it hard for about 8 months and got my ticket, stayed current for another 6 months and 110 hrs maybe and the ADD kicked in, concentrated on my other expensive hobbies (Car and MC racing) and let my ticket lapse.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
The only thing I can afford to fly is an ultralight PPC, but it's much more fun than GA anyway. Uses 2.75 GPH of regular auto gas, stores in my garage on a small trailer, sets up in minutes, no pilot ticket required, less maintenance than my motorcycles. I've been flying it for 15 years and 1400 hours.
What model do you fly?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
It's a highly modified 1997 Six Chuter SR7. Bought as a kit in 1997 it used to be a 2 place so my daughter could fly with me but after she started flying on her own I changed it to a FAR 103 ultralight single place. For those who are not familiar it has a liquid cooled 65 hp Rotax 582 engine and a Performance Design 500 sq ft wing. 15,000+ feet is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
What model do you fly?
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
I did a demo flight in a PPC, one of these days I might get there.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #21
ADKbeemer
Understanding Serendipity

Oddometer: 2,355
....same sad story as many here, got my SEL in 86, flew for 4 years renting, got married, costs went up, rode more flew less...did some hot air balloon lessons, but that fell through due to the distance I had to travel to meet my instructor. Now I'm not current.

I loved it, if I had lots of $$$ I would even like to try helicopters.

Go for it if you really have the passion but be fully aware of the costs, both upfront and long term, required to support your addiction.
ADKbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,176
Grew up in the right seat of a Cessna 210, probably had close to 200 hours there - many of them IFR - while dad watched and coached from the left seat. Got my ticket in 1987 and spent a couple of years flying 172's in north Georgia. I last flew as PIC in 1991. Until last summer when I did a quick lap around the pattern in my cousins 1946 fabric Aronca with the door off I hadn't been off the ground in 16 years. Nowadays airplanes of any kind cause me too much discomfort.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #23
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,898
Yes. 500 hrs and 400 in the Citabria I owned. I never had an interest in straight and level or IFR. I flew the wings off of scale aero models and decided to do the real thing. If it didn't have a tailwheel or a stick in the center, I wasn't interested.

But after 400 hrs I was getting bored with basic aerobatics of the Citabria and couldn't afford to take it to the next level. Plus this was at $2/gal gasoline. I was flying 100-150 hrs a year. At today's gas prices, I'd be on the ground.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
CPL, CFII rotorcraft. Did my time as a flight instructor and got a decent gig flying for an oil man in NWCO and ferrying the occasional Robby across the country as I was checked out to take them from the factory. The economy tanked in 2008 and I didn't fancy another move across the country to continue working in the aviation industry. I was happy with all the mountain time I got and time spent in R22 B/BII's, R44 R/RII's, F-28, 280FX, 369C, and 300c's. Biggest regrets are no time in any 205 derivative, no hillers, Bell 47's, or Alouette/A-stars. rough life.

I miss the views and landing in ridiculous places that only a helicopter can. I'd like to get my tail wheel and/or maybe glider add on but there is no where close around here to do that and I don't want to spend the little money I have to spend on flying playing with tricycles. If you get the chance to fly, even for a little bit, you won't regret it but it just isn't the same once the money starts flowing the other way.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #25
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
Cherokee's ,172 's, tigers, sirrus's , Malibu, and CItabria..

Never went for my ticket.. knew i would never fly enough to justify it .
Or if i did could never fly the way I wanted to fly.. read aerobatics....
But have crossed country and even flown the pound..

I just use my friends for rides and split the gas which the last time up in the tiger was $120 for three hours of flying.

Av gas was 6.85 a gallon.

There are new fuels coming up that will be cheaper and better the LL.. We were trying to get a sponsorship to fly two Tigers across the pound from the fuel company.. But they went in a different direction..

Still do dream about my Rotorwing ticket though...

seriousracer screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 05:23 AM
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #26
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,434
Did the whole professional thing with fixed wing, AK bush, Indonesia bush, commuter, a little corporate, airline, survey, freight, international airline...its been fun but also been a big time wringer. I always, or used to always, know I could make food money and maybe a bit more in GA doing instructing or what not but nowadays even that seems far fetched. I did own two planes way back when, mostly to re-sell them. GA, it seems to me, is really now beyond the middle or upper middle class...that's truly sad because there was no other country where you had the opportunity and freedom to go just about anywhere in your own (or in a rented) plane. Well, you still can, but its much too expensive for the average or above average income person. Anyhow, if you can afford it, its pretty cool. I'd say, to keep from getting bored with it attach it somehow to your business (if you can) or use a plane to go to another house, or to get out back-packing, rock climbing, or whatever you want to do away from your immediate area. The other house of course bespeaks of the upper-upper income caveat. If I owned a plane again I'd have to be able to justify using to get somewhere that wasn't as feasible as flying there would otherwise be - and do it in a fun plane, like a C180 or Husky, etc. For the last 20 years I've been telling myself I should get a glider add-on but life and having a job keeps getting in the way.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #27
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
I love flying my floatplane (C180) up here where there are lots of lakes. Some business, mostly pleasure. Its a great fishing machine. I even flew to a motorcycle ralley a couple of times where I was able to borrow a bike for the rides. Yes, it keeps getting more expensive and I hope I can keep at it for several more years.

At the Northern Ralley

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #28
simestd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Yep, CFI SEL MEL... Loved it but had more experience in a different discipline that paid better so I drifted away while establishing my $career, home and starting a family. Bought an inexpensive Cessna 150 a year ago last spring and am really having a blast again! One of the best parts of getting back into flying is sharing flying adventures one on one with my daughters. 90 knots @ 5 gph in any direction we feel like heading - and living in Alaska, we've got lots of room for exploring ;)

'82 XV750, '82 GL500, '02 DR650, '07 XT225
simestd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #29
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,727
Dont have

I started learning to fly fixed wing back in the mid 90's in the uk, after about 4hrs and in the straight and level to the training area, I reallised I was bored.

After that I found Heavy Maintenance and got a place a facility working on narrow body Boeing. Much better

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #30
HappyRiding
Grumpy

Oddometer: 3,186
Commercial SEL & MEL, instrument ground instructor. Got about 1200 hours total time. Sold my Cessna in 2005 after I decided I enjoyed my motorcycle more. If I ever think I want to start flying again I will find something cheaper...like a crack habit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: