User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #31
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Always wanted to get the ticket but never did because it got so expensive. Every time I just about went to sign up for classes something came up with family or business or financially that kept me from it.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #32
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,999
I refied my house to pay for it.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #33
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post
Commercial SEL & MEL, instrument ground instructor. Got about 1200 hours total time. Sold my Cessna in 2005 after I decided I enjoyed my motorcycle more. If I ever think I want to start flying again I will find something cheaper...like a crack habit.
There is the old pilot's joke:

Compared to an addiction to aviation, heavy drug use, alcoholism, and gambling is akin to a faint craving for something salty.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #34
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,369
I got my PPL when I was living in the city with the nations biggest training airfield - training & hire was relatively affordable. I totally enjoyed the challenge of learning to fly but you do need to devote a decent amount of time to it. I was doing shift work & didn't have many other demands on my spare time so it wasn't hard to get in plenty of hrs & get in the groove. I would hate to try learning just in the weekends, especially if your local weather is variable & shuts down n00b aviation frequently like it does here.

Then I moved, aircraft hire is much more expensive, I have other expensive hobbies & I haven't been current for while. I don't regret doing my license for a minute though, it was such good fun & seeing much of the country from the controls of a light aircraft was amazing . If I find myself living close enough to a strip with hangarage I would definitely think about getting a microlight & getting back into it. Depending on your environment & needs a microlight/ultralight can be the far better deal for just goofing around in good weather.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #35
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,750
In the group of PPC pilots I hang out with many are ex-GA pilots and a few are ex-airline pilots. What we do can't be done with any other type of aircraft. We like to get in our truck campers or motor homes and haul the PPCs and trail bikes to different areas for days or weeks at a time. When the weather is good we go fly for a few hours in the smooth morning air then come back to camp for breakfast. Later in the day we go exploring on the trail bikes, often checking out interesting things we spotted from the air. Then back to camp for a few drinks and dinner around the camp fire. When we have explored everything we move on to a new area. It's a really good time.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
After flying Quick silvers and other ultralights as a teenager, had a relapse of the flying bug a few years ago, my wife and I were starting flying school when... she got knocked up. Sidelined that idea.

Fast forward a few years and I'm now thinking of using the balance of my GI Bill getting a "flying degree" at a Part 141 school in order to get a PPL and instrument rating that might be useful in my career and/or a long way towards a "plan B" change of career to commercial aviation.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #37
Grafspee
one bike is never enough

Oddometer: 204
Since 1992

Currently working as a flight instructor - CFII/MEII
Grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #38
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
In the group of PPC pilots I hang out with many are ex-GA pilots and a few are ex-airline pilots. What we do can't be done with any other type of aircraft. We like to get in our truck campers or motor homes and haul the PPCs and trail bikes to different areas for days or weeks at a time. When the weather is good we go fly for a few hours in the smooth morning air then come back to camp for breakfast. Later in the day we go exploring on the trail bikes, often checking out interesting things we spotted from the air. Then back to camp for a few drinks and dinner around the camp fire. When we have explored everything we move on to a new area. It's a really good time.
Every time I'm out Jeeping in the Southwest I imagine having a PPC to check out tops of mesas and canyons not seen by road.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #39
TimeOnTarget
Lost? Who me?

Oddometer: 146
Airline Transport Pilot
B-747-4 Type

Comm Helicopter, Inst
Comm Glider
Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #40
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
I'd love to have an ultralight so I could launch from my land and land back there as well. Wouldn't need a PPL then me thinks.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #41
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,604
I'm not a hippie...
But I do have a PPSEL, with high performance, and tail dragger endorsements...
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #42
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
That sounds totally awesome.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #43
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
AIDS = Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #44
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
I received my Pvt ticket in 1977. I am checked out in Piper PA 28 Cheokee and variants , Cessna 172, 172rg, 177, 182, TU206, Mooney M20J 201. I no longer fly but keep thinking to pick up another airplane.
Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #45
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
No longer a hippie

ATP (airline transport rating), A&P (airframe and power plant), multi engine instrument instructor. Currently typed in a B-400 (beech jet) along with a bunch of king air time, flying corporate jets. By far, the best job I have ever had. Took a long time to get here, but it was worth it. Contrary to popular belief, corporate aviation plays an important role in operating a business. Also provides a lot of jobs for a lot of folks. Nice to be able to do this and ride motorcycles when I can.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: