Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #61
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
According to the spec sheets of various publications, that bike weighs in at about 575 on the road. That's quite a bit more than 505.
good luck with a cite on that whopper.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #62
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
According to the specs I found online (German), it's 205kg dry (452lbs). I highly doubt that you have to add 123lbs to make it road ready.

So, where are your specs from?

Webbike World.

I see the other specs, 229kg on other sites, I'd think they are quoting BMW.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #63
corndog67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
good luck with a cite on that whopper.
Good luck with a quote from BMW. They also quote 110hp, another lie.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #64
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Webbike World.

But 229kg sounds more like road ready (90%) when I trust the 205 empty (which I do - without ABS and any other options).

And the 110HP is has been verified by dyno measurements on bikes. Some have this, some a bit more, some a bit less. Oh, and btw: I'm very interested in weight numbers, I don't a flying shit for HP. Never have, never will.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #65
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Fuel injection is very good. The K75 is perfectly fine, and better than carbs of the era. Dead reliable. Never has any significant issues. Its been perfectly good since 1983 (for the k100). This is the era of the first lean burn bikes. The throttle response and performance is better. More reliable too. Easier to start.

Its far easier to re-tune too. If it can't figure itself out, there is power commander, performance ecu's, and aftermarket ecus. A couple of keypresses does far more than hours of re-jetting.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #66
corndog67
Banned

My K100 worked very well, except in the rain, when one cylinder would cut out. But I didn't ride much in the rain, I suppose a good waterproofing of the connections would have fixed that right up.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #67
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Webbike World.

webbike world isn't rolling anything onto scales, they just reprint press releases. (and do helmet/gear/accessory reviews)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/r1200st/ Is their page for the ST, the quote about wet weight of 573lbs is about the R1200RT. It even says R1200RT in the exact sentence you drew your # from. Happens that 573 is about right for the wet weight of an RT.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #68
j_csquare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Why don't they just build this bike (or something similar)? The CBR1200XX/CBR1300XX is what we would have liked instead of the VRF1200.

j_csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #69
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
Fuel injection is very good. The K75 is perfectly fine, and better than carbs of the era. Dead reliable. Never has any significant issues. Its been perfectly good since 1983 (for the k100). This is the era of the first lean burn bikes. The throttle response and performance is better. More reliable too. Easier to start.

Its far easier to re-tune too. If it can't figure itself out, there is power commander, performance ecu's, and aftermarket ecus. A couple of keypresses does far more than hours of re-jetting.
Yep.

I don't understand the notion of being wistful about carbs.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #70
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
+1

Some old stuff makes sense and has a different "feel", but the carbs are
just plain pain in the a$$ without a single benefit IMHO.

Of course, if the FI is sorted out well.
One thing I can't stand is surging.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #71
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,702
Quote:
Also, you're kidding yourself if you think there's a lick of difference in quality/reliability of any of the front line mfgs.
We did an informal poll thing once.

I don't think there is a noticeable difference in reliability, but quality of materials, fasteners, paint, finish etc. can be noticeable between models.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #72
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,647
Quote:
you're kidding yourself if you think there's a lick of difference in quality/reliability of any of the front line mfgs.
Maybe, but I don't think so. I went from a DL1000 to an ST1300, and was blown away by the difference. It wasn't real apparent at first, but the more I got to know the ST, the more amazed I was witht he quality of it. It completely changed my attitudes toward Hondas.

I probably should have replaced the ST with another ST, but it's water under the bridge now. I have had 4 different bikes in the last 2 years. It's time to keep one for a while and let the bank account recover from the abuse...

I rode the Nomad in to the office today, and enjoyed it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #73
ty.zardoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
There is a perfectly good motorcycle under that shit box of plastic.

Can you tell me what year the stripped Goldwing is? I have a passion for naked and bobbed bikes and always wanted a wing... I understand that some of them are more desirable than others for my purposes. The bike you show looks to be quite "bobbable" compared to some I've seen.

tyz
ty.zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #74
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Maybe, but I don't think so. I went from a DL1000 to an ST1300, and was blown away by the difference. It wasn't real apparent at first, but the more I got to know the ST, the more amazed I was witht he quality of it. It completely changed my attitudes toward Hondas.

I probably should have replaced the ST with another ST, but it's water under the bridge now. I have had 4 different bikes in the last 2 years. It's time to keep one for a while and let the bank account recover from the abuse...

I rode the Nomad in to the office today, and enjoyed it.
Yep. Honda rules. After you ride enough bikes and work on enough bikes that aren't yours, you see Honda consistently top the competitors in quality and engineering and whatnot.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #75
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.zardoz View Post
Can you tell me what year the stripped Goldwing is? I have a passion for naked and bobbed bikes and always wanted a wing... I understand that some of them are more desirable than others for my purposes. The bike you show looks to be quite "bobbable" compared to some I've seen.

tyz
I don't know all the differences between years, but my guess is '83 GL1100. That was the first year for the cast wheels. '84 were the 1200's, but I don't think it's a 1200.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is online now   Reply With Quote