Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It's definitely nice. I like the layout much better than the Japanese maxis. I take it that is the GT model, which looks a lot better than the sport. All the information I could find said the price would be around $10,000, which is surprisingly low for a BMW anything, comparable to their smaller single cylinder adventure bikes. I have to admit I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I was expecting a Silverwing with a BMW emblem. And if the price is around $10K, it is very little more expensive than the Silverwing.
In just the first 50 miles I put on it last night It is more of a step through motorcycle with an automatic transmission than what one would traditionally consider a scooter. It is about 20-25% larger than the Yamaha Majesty I have been happily commuting on for the last 2 years. It has tremendous brakes with great feel and yes I have engaged the ABS once already. Acceleration is light years ahead of the Majesty. You sit much higher and I have yet to find a graceful way of getting on and off the bike without scuffing my shoe across the tunnel's painted surface. On the positive side, ther is TONS of legroom. The headlights are on par with the Majesty's (which are very good) but since I do so much of my riding at night and pre-dawn in areas of heavy deer population, I'll be fitting a set of Rigid Industry's SRM2 driving lights. I would rather have this bike than a F800ST as it fits my riding style and conditions better. Think of a K1600GTL sized for those who don't want to ride a super fast Winnebago.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
In just the first 50 miles I put on it last night It is more of a step through motorcycle with an automatic transmission than what one would traditionally consider a scooter. It is about 20-25% larger than the Yamaha Majesty I have been happily commuting on for the last 2 years. It has tremendous brakes with great feel and yes I have engaged the ABS once already. Acceleration is light years ahead of the Majesty. You sit much higher and I have yet to find a graceful way of getting on and off the bike without scuffing my shoe across the tunnel's painted surface. On the positive side, ther is TONS of legroom. The headlights are on par with the Majesty's (which are very good) but since I do so much of my riding at night and pre-dawn in areas of heavy deer population, I'll be fitting a set of Rigid Industry's SRM2 driving lights. I would rather have this bike than a F800ST as it fits my riding style and conditions better. Think of a K1600GTL sized for those who don't want to ride a super fast Winnebago.
First cold weather commute and I'm impressed with the storage space: 1 XXXL helmet, 3 jackets, 1pair of ski pants, 1 polar-fleece pullover, 1 pair of winter gloves and still have a little room leftover.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Here the basic one is selling for the same kind of money as a F800GS...

No thanks.

It's an automatic battleship. I really don't have use for that kind of thing, the magnitude of the thing makes it too cumbersome.

I just don't get maxiscooters at all.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post

No thanks.

It's an automatic battleship. I really don't have use for that kind of thing, the magnitude of the thing makes it too cumbersome.

thank goodness for a marketplace full of choices....something for everyone.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:

No thanks.

Not a problem, nobody is forcing you to buy one.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,694
I really have to see this thing as soon Jon.

Can't make the dinner meet up this week though since it is Halloween.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
"Think of a K1600GTL sized for those who don't want to ride a super fast Winnebago" Exactly what I was thinking. It would make an excellent replacement for a Goldwing for someone like me who has trouble handling the weight of the Goldwing, plus clutching and shifting causes me a lot of pain around town, and that wouldn't happen with an automatic. I hate to say it, because I have never been a BMW guy, and have never owned one, but I think I would prefer the BMW to the Silverwing, and if it really is just a little bit more, it might be a great deal. Especially since a new Goldwing costs $30K, and I don't need it's 2 up capability or all of it's carrying space. It also gets terrible gas mileage, less than many small cars.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I really have to see this thing as soon Jon.

Can't make the dinner meet up this week though since it is Halloween.
You don't eat on Halloween??? I've never heard of someone fasting on candy night.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
"Think of a K1600GTL sized for those who don't want to ride a super fast Winnebago" Exactly what I was thinking. It would make an excellent replacement for a Goldwing for someone like me who has trouble handling the weight of the Goldwing, plus clutching and shifting causes me a lot of pain around town, and that wouldn't happen with an automatic. I hate to say it, because I have never been a BMW guy, and have never owned one, but I think I would prefer the BMW to the Silverwing, and if it really is just a little bit more, it might be a great deal. Especially since a new Goldwing costs $30K, and I don't need it's 2 up capability or all of it's carrying space. It also gets terrible gas mileage, less than many small cars.
I did a 400 mile highway run today. 43.5 mpg @ an average 56 mph including sitting for 1 hr in Atlanta rush hour traffic. Gusting winds @ 10-20 were no problem, very stable. 38 degrees predawn temp but the heated grips and seat did their job well.(low, high and automatic settings). It is noticeably larger than the silverwing and has a ton of legroom (even with your feet flat on the floor) without having a long reach to the bars.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
KennyT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Wow! Beautiful bike...
I will be dreaming of one soon!
Ken
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #26
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
thank goodness for a marketplace full of choices....something for everyone.
That's right, it's a really good time to be a motorcycle rider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
Not a problem, nobody is forcing you to buy one.
I never said I was being forced to buy one, I'm just commenting that I don't get the point of these things.

I do have one gripe about them, I'd love a freeway capable scooter that isn't maxi scooter sized. No 250cc isn't freeway capable, specially because your top speed is around the same as the speed limit and it takes you a while to get there. The closest thing to that are the maxi scooters...
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #27
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Jerry- you must have one of the gas hog, GW 1500, because my 1800 Wing gets better MPG than the BMW Scooter by at least 10 MPG.

Susser- Aprilia makes what you are looking for, check it out.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #28
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,506
Quote:
That's right, it's a really good time to be a motorcycle rider!

I never said I was being forced to buy one, I'm just commenting that I don't get the point of these things.

I do have one gripe about them, I'd love a freeway capable scooter that isn't maxi scooter sized. No 250cc isn't freeway capable, specially because your top speed is around the same as the speed limit and it takes you a while to get there. The closest thing to that are the maxi scooters...
I take My Sport City 250 on the interstate all the time. It handles it just fine. The Kymco GT300I is just slightly larger and is even faster. It is nowhere near maxi scooter size.

As for the Maxi scooters, they are not my cup of tea either but as an lighter and less expensive alternative to something like a Gold Wing I think they would be an excellent choice.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #29
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Yep, it's great to have choices. My just purchased Yamaha Majesty is not as big and heavy as a Burgman 650 or a BMW, but is very interstate and travel capable and smooth cruising with the needle on 90. It perfectly fits what I wanted, not necessarily what you (general) wanted.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #30
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
needle at 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
Yep, it's great to have choices. My just purchased Yamaha Majesty is not as big and heavy as a Burgman 650 or a BMW, but is very interstate and travel capable and smooth cruising with the needle on 90. It perfectly fits what I wanted, not necessarily what you (general) wanted.
You must have a death wish.
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote