Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I take My Sport City 250 on the interstate all the time. It handles it just fine. The Kymco GT300I is just slightly larger and is even faster. It is nowhere near maxi scooter size.

As for the Maxi scooters, they are not my cup of tea either but as an lighter and less expensive alternative to something like a Gold Wing I think they would be an excellent choice.
I agree, have done some lengthy rides on my Vespa 250, preferring secondary roads to the freeway but using the freeway too.

Maxis arent my kool-aid either, but to each his own. Not everyone "gets" every scooter, or motorcycle or car. Thats the beauty of it.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I take My Sport City 250 on the interstate all the time. It handles it just fine. The Kymco GT300I is just slightly larger and is even faster. It is nowhere near maxi scooter size.
Neither one is available here, all we get are the BMWs, Burgman 400 and got the Silverwing for a couple years.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #33
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Jerry- you must have one of the gas hog, GW 1500, because my 1800 Wing gets better MPG than the BMW Scooter by at least 10 MPG.

Susser- Aprilia makes what you are looking for, check it out.
Yes I have a '95 1500, which gets just below 35 mpg, I'd say about 33. It will do a little better cruising on the freeway with the cruise control set on 65. But it really is no worse than my former 1985 Goldwing LTD, which was fuel injected, and only 4 cylinders. There were issues with the FI, and I know it was running rich. You could tell that just by standing behind it while it was idling.

I would also like a non maxi scooter capable of freeway travel, and the closest I've come to finding one is the Piaggio BV500. You can find really nice used ones around here with low miles for around $4000. I weigh 220, and would be carrying some baggage, so I need something that will carry me up hills without bogging. CVT transmissions are extremely inefficient at transmitting power, and have a very narrow gear range, lacking the really low gear of a manual transmission, so the more ccs the better.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #34
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
You must have a death wish.
Why? Because I said 90? It is a 470lbs motorcycle with a lot of tupperware on it. Feels better at interstate speeds than a BMW F650GS or F800GS.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #35
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
You must have a death wish

Why? Because I said 90? It is a 470lbs motorcycle with a lot of tupperware on it. Feels better at interstate speeds than a BMW F650GS or F800GS.
I used to use a Majesty for weekly runs to Atlanta (400 mile round trip) through rush hour traffic. If you don't do 90 you'll end up as a hood ornament. I now use one of those $10k "Taiwanese" scooters and couldn't be happier.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:12 AM   #36
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
"Think of a K1600GTL sized for those who don't want to ride a super fast Winnebago" Exactly what I was thinking. It would make an excellent replacement for a Goldwing for someone like me who has trouble handling the weight of the Goldwing, plus clutching and shifting causes me a lot of pain around town, and that wouldn't happen with an automatic. I hate to say it, because I have never been a BMW guy, and have never owned one, but I think I would prefer the BMW to the Silverwing, and if it really is just a little bit more, it might be a great deal. Especially since a new Goldwing costs $30K, and I don't need it's 2 up capability or all of it's carrying space. It also gets terrible gas mileage, less than many small cars.
The BMW has lots of room and great ergos for my six ft four, unlike the SilverWing which is very cramped in comparison. I'll be keeping my SYM Citycom, but if I ever replace my V-Strom 1000 that BMW would be high on my list.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
You must have a death wish.

If I may vouch for Mr. Mihalka, he's one of the smoothest I've seen which probably explains his championships as well. The man can drive whatever he wants at 90mph as far as I'm concerned.
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #38
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Eh? 43.5 mpg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
I did a 400 mile highway run today. 43.5 mpg @ an average 56 mph including sitting for 1 hr in Atlanta rush hour traffic.
I hope that gets better as the bike breaks in, for 400 miles of highway at sub 60mph that's a bit weak for a bike it's size. The big burgers get 50-60 at that speed for that kind of run, even in hilly terrain (the Cascades). The smaller maxi's tend to do a bit better.
Link to fuelly to check it out if you'd like.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #39
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
I don't know...my Burgman seems to get around 45 mpg. I've never seen 60 mpg from mine, and I bought it new.

I do get 65-70 mpg on my Vespa GT200, depending on speed.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #40
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromper View Post
I hope that gets better as the bike breaks in, for 400 miles of highway at sub 60mph that's a bit weak for a bike it's size. The big burgers get 50-60 at that speed for that kind of run, even in hilly terrain (the Cascades). The smaller maxi's tend to do a bit better.
Link to fuelly to check it out if you'd like.
OK let me be a little more clear in the details. Most of the 400 miles were covered going 85-90. I hit a 36 mile stretch of Atlanta stop-n-go "rush" hour traffic that dragged the average speed down so far. In view cruising 85-90 and getting 43+ mpg on a bike this big and comfortable, I'm pretty pleased.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #41
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Talking Breaking the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
OK. Most of the 400 miles were covered going 85-90. I hit a 36 mile stretch of Atlanta stop-n-go "rush" hour traffic that dragged the average speed down so far. In view cruising 85-90 and getting 43+ mpg on a bike this big and comfortable, I'm pretty pleased.
There ya go, that makes sense.

I've hit 60 on the 650 a couple times only when putzing along back roads at sub 60ish, probably 50ish speeds enjoying the scenery et al. Think it's recorded on my fuelly once or twice.

I normally get 50+ while keeping it under 65ish on the highway.

Bolting along at 90+ does not render 50mpg or better, but I do that more rarely then putzing along.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #42
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I have been looking at a few diagrams and reading some technical information on the BMW. There was a mention of a swingarm connected to the transmission, with the final drive chain running in an oil bath. Did I get that right? Is the motor bolted tight to the frame, and the rear wheel can move up and down without the motor moving? I don't know much about maxi scooters.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #43
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic106590?start=40

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #44
max57
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
Thanks. I have been wondering about this. What do the other maxi scooters have? I drive an antique with a similar swingarm, it is nice to see this good idea back in fashion. The ride is greatly improved, I think, with the engine seperated from the rear wheel inertia.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #45
max57
Adventurer

swingarm: chain in oil bath

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAg&dur=1724