Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
polson OP
2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer: 242
Okay, I purchased a triumph adventure jacket. It seemed nice and at only $191 it seemed a fairly good price.

I wear a 40r suit, but a 44 seemed a good fit with this jacket. The only concern I had is that the sleeves seemed a little long, they ended around my first knuckle of my thumb.

polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
twasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
best dual sport jacket

I have compared many jacket for dual sport use. For the money I think a Darien is close to the best. It is constructed of Cordura which is abrasion resistant and has thick and contoured to your body armor pad. Back pad is extra. With a little help from Scotch guard it has been waterproof for me. Some do have some leaking issues. It come with zippered vents for warm weather use making it a multiseason jacket, good up to 80 - 100 degrees depending upon the users personal heat resistance.
Some of the disadvantages include, can leak, the front flap is too small and will leak a lot of cold air in the winter, The material is stiff and the entire coat can be heavy.
The Klim lattitude may be a similar jacket for equivelent dollars, I haven't tried one. The Badlands Pro is probably a superior jacket, but more expensive, GoreTex, water and wind proof and a multicrash jacket with improved vents, zippers, abration resistance and probablly better quality armour.
twasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by polson View Post
Okay I've finally decided to break down and buy a real jacket. Up to this point all I have been using is my north face winter ski jacket when necessary. This isn't the most comfortable but it does work.

What I would like to know is what is the best and most reasonably priced jacket for all conditions and why.

Any photos?
IMO Teiz has the best prices for gear with upper end protective and functional features. Your going to have to sacrifice some protection with cheaper polyester gear. They are also offering discounts if you are willing to wait longer for your order.

http://store.teizms.com/navigator-jacket
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Too many choices & I have no dog in the fight, my old Gerike still works. What I will suggest, is that once you pick one, you check in with motorcyclegear.com They often buy the entire stock of a given brands remainders & resell them at big discounts. Good folks to work with as well.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
With the end of the year coming up, look for previous year models at a discount. I got a very nice Dianese jacket last October that had a huge discount. Cost half the price of the BMW Rallye jacket, and has almost every function, and looks better IMO.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
Scorch_TX
Suzuki disciple

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
http://www.klim.com/en-us/technology/snow/gore-tex

GORE-TEX®

GORE-TEX® fabrics are created by laminating GORE-TEX® membrane to highly durable and breathable textiles. GORE-approved manufacturing processes utilize in...

Membrane
The GORE-TEX® membrane is the heart of all ...

Laminates
A GORE-TEX® laminate is simply GORE-TEX® membrane... on.
Nice info, thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 625
Really like mine. Didn't like my TLD or Darien that much at all.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Klim-Trav...ket_p_148.html

TheTravers is like the Carhartt of gortex I wear mine camping and just anytime I'm working outside. Looks very normal.

I usually do 1-2 day 90% woods riding and I need the toughness/ versatility, not 18 pockets.

The armpit zips are great slow speed venation. I wear a compression suit under it for armor. Even on the street.
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #23
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
This one is easy. Go to rocky mountain ATV and buy the Akita desert suit. You can buy three complete suits for the price of one darien jacket. I have many miles on mine and its great, waterproof, warm or cool depending on what you need and it looks good. When I bought mine I paid 130 a piece for the pants and jacket. Now that's a great dual sport suit without going broke.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by polson View Post
Okay, I purchased a triumph adventure jacket. It seemed nice and at only $191 it seemed a fairly good price.

I wear a 40r suit, but a 44 seemed a good fit with this jacket. The only concern I had is that the sleeves seemed a little long, they ended around my first knuckle of my thumb.

The sleeves should be long in the store. On the bike with your arms raised and bent, and the wind pressing your chest it will be perfect. Same theory on pants, length will be long while standing, good on the bike.

IMHO, Gtex liners are a PITA. Far better to have a jacket with the Gtex built into the garment. Stop the moisture at the outside. A soaked jacket over a liner is a heavy, cold POS.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #25
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Well, good luck with what you bought. Hope it works out well for you. As a side note, put a jar/box, what have you on a shelf an just start tossing in an "extra" $10 or $20 here and there. You'd be surprised a what you'll end up with after a few months, maybe enough to get the gear you really want.

Have to agree with "Goodby Pants", stay away from Gore-tex liners in general. Don't worry about the long sleeves, looks like you have some straps on the arms to adjust the fit a bit.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adios Pantalones View Post

IMHO, Gtex liners are a PITA. Far better to have a jacket with the Gtex built into the garment. Stop the moisture at the outside. A soaked jacket over a liner is a heavy, cold POS.
Gore doesn't stop the moisture at the outside. That job is done by the durable water repellent (DWR) finish applied to the fabric. After a period of time that DWR will need to be renewed.

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I've worn a Tourmaster Transition 2 the last three years. With the liner it is warm enough in spring and fall and it has a reasonably good venting system for the summer. I got wet around the neck in a rainstorm a few weeks ago from water dripping inside the collar, but in most wet situations it keeps me dry. I like all of the pockets, too.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #28
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I won a bid on ebay for a 2012 model Tourmaster Transition 3 for 40 bucks. It looks brand new to me. I've been very happy with it.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
MOzarkRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Just for reference I can vouch for FirstGears waterproof breathable jackets. I have a FG Jaunt that I have used for over a year now and it is good in the temps below 70 degrees and is comfortable without layers under it. I put layers on under it for winter commuting like today it was 31 degrees when I left the house. I was wearing three layers two thermals and a fleece + insulated jacket liner. I was warm but with more than one thermal layer the jacket gets bulky.
Anyway back to my original statement the FG waterproof breethable jackets work I have rode in three or four terrencial downpours and multiple rainy day rides. The jacket itself is waterproof so you dont need a liner and I have never had any leaks. I always stayed warm and dry. It makes riding just as enjoyable in the rain when you have nice waterproof gear.
05' Triumph Sprint ST
http://www.xjrider.com/
MOzarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
cyclejohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
What I will suggest, is that once you pick one, you check in with motorcyclegear.com They often buy the entire stock of a given brands remainders & resell them at big discounts. Good folks to work with as well.
+1 for Motorcyclegear.com (formerly known as newenough.com)
I have purchased jackets, gloves and helmets from them. If you go to their website, scroll down and look on the left side; there is a link to sign up for their mailing list. You can then receive emails (about once a week) concerning their various closeouts. I've bought more gear than I really need, but some deals are hard to resist.
Just a satisfied customer.
cyclejohn is offline   Reply With Quote