User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
uconnapharm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
X-Challenge/X-Moto no USA imports in 2008

I just picked up Cycle World 2008 Buyers Guide tonight.
They state that BMW will not bring back to US shores the XChallenge
and the XMoto for 2008.
The Xcountry is the only G650 imported to the USA in 2008.
( it's price drops by $1125 )

How common is it to drop a model after only one year being imported ?

I suppose some wheel'in and deal'in can be done on 2007 leftovers ???

Does BMW still have to make parts readily available for 10 yrs ?
uconnapharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
dircha
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
This is what I was told last Fall by two dealers. They won't say that the models are discontinued, just that due to existing stock, no new units will be imported.

And Xcountry engines will apparently be manufactured in China. So unless BMW is going to manufacture the identical Xchallenge and Xmoto engines somewhere else, that leads me to believe that the models are in fact discontinued.

But so long as this doesn't stop Touratech from producing aftermarket parts, and it hasn't yet, I'm not concerned.
dircha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
Gengras in CT isn't discounting shit, I think they believe that people actually want these. The most recent Motorcyclist absolutely ripped apart the X-moto, they called it a "complete and utter waste of time" and then something about a pit of them festering in a Bavarian forest . The X-challenge is kinda cool, but way overpriced and overweight for what it is. The motor parts should be available for a long time, but model specific stuff - who knows? I'd try to score a deal on a X-country in line with the expected price drop-
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
BuckRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnapharm
I just picked up Cycle World 2008 Buyers Guide tonight.
They state that BMW will not bring back to US shores the XChallenge
and the XMoto for 2008.
The Xcountry is the only G650 imported to the USA in 2008.
( it's price drops by $1125 )

How common is it to drop a model after only one year being imported ?

I suppose some wheel'in and deal'in can be done on 2007 leftovers ???

Does BMW still have to make parts readily available for 10 yrs ?
BMW makes their bikes in batches. They don't do constant model production. Historically the old F bikes were shipped in small batches based on annual demand predictions. BMW did the same with the new bikes and I beleive the new G bikes were overproduced, so they are probably happy to sit back and sell what has already been shipped.

BMW is also struggling to get the NEW F bikes (650 and 800 twins) into production with all new motors.

BMW has a new alliance with a Tiawanese engine factory for the new engines on both the F and G bikes - including the new G-450's. The 650 single in the G - X series are basically the same.

Now with the aquisition of Husky, it is also possible that they have no need to make the X-Challenge anymore and who knows, maybe they won't even bother with the 450 either - BMW isn't exactly a place where most folks would think of going to get a "dirt" orientated bike, and the dealers aren't really in a position to deal with that type of clientele, but Husky is.

I'd say BMW is reinventing itself to be the new - old BMW...

Current Rides:
F650GS Dakar
400 EXC
BuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 AM   #5
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Who would buy an X-Moto when you have much better options like the Husky SM610, the KTM 690SM, KTM 690 Duke, or the KTM 690 SMC.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #6
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Define "better" please.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Define "better" please.
At the very least...

1. Better engine
2. Better suspension (that air shock has gotten very poor reviews, you must admit)
3. Better value (DRZ)

I'm basically kidding because we know it's all subjective , but if BMW didn't come close to meeting their sales goals for the X Series (which has to be the case if they're not importing any for 08) then it has to be either that they misjudged the market, or the competition has more appealing product.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 AM   #8
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
The X-moto has no air shock but an Ohlins as far as I can recall.

The little Beemer has a very sweet engine, and a perfect injection mapping. It runs strong all the way from slightly above idle to it's redline. "they say" (for I haven't ridden the 690 yet) the bottom and midrange of the BMW G650 is sweeter than that of the 690, which seems to be a little jerky below 3500rpm. The 690 does have a very strong top end though, I wish the G650 would have that as well.

I can only judge the value of a bike after I have owned one for a few years, and I want to sell it again.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
shardzero
I have a bike.....

Oddometer: 486
I for one always believe what I read....

My brother and his friend were telling me that the new KTM 690 was 'heaps' lighter than my bike.

Dry weights:

KTM 690 = 138.5 kg

G650x = 144 kg

A difference of 5.5 kg that decreases if you use fuel in your bike.

Fueled weight (0.75g/L):

KTM 690 (12L) = 147.5

G650x (9.5L) = 151.1

Difference = 3.6 kg

Yeah the KTM is 'heaps' lighter

The BMW has the same wheel base and fork attack angle, uses an underseat molded tank and a straight back exhaust and people seem to recognise this as new and exciting. Well it was 12 months ago.

The KTM seems to make more power (website figure) but I would be interested to see whether they can match the 10,000km service intervals of the g650x. (increases to 20,000km intervals after first 10,000km). And because I know them to be a good manufacturer I hope they will.

People could spend more time riding and showing a little more respect for bikes that other people have paid money for, instead of running their mouths off. That said, the more people bag the bike I own, the more I seem to like it.

This is usually where I cathardically delete the entire text I just typed to let people wallow in their idioacy.
shardzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by shardzero
I for one always believe what I read....

My brother and his friend were telling me that the new KTM 690 was 'heaps' lighter than my bike.

Dry weights:

KTM 690 = 138.5 kg

G650x = 144 kg

A difference of 5.5 kg that decreases if you use fuel in your bike.

Fueled weight (0.75g/L):

KTM 690 (12L) = 147.5

G650x (9.5L) = 151.1

Difference = 3.6 kg

Yeah the KTM is 'heaps' lighter

The BMW has the same wheel base and fork attack angle, uses an underseat molded tank and a straight back exhaust and people seem to recognise this as new and exciting. Well it was 12 months ago.

The KTM seems to make more power (website figure) but I would be interested to see whether they can match the 10,000km service intervals of the g650x. (increases to 20,000km intervals after first 10,000km). And because I know them to be a good manufacturer I hope they will.

People could spend more time riding and showing a little more respect for bikes that other people have paid money for, instead of running their mouths off. That said, the more people bag the bike I own, the more I seem to like it.

This is usually where I cathardically delete the entire text I just typed to let people wallow in their idioacy.
Wow!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
dancolin
Weeeehaaa!

Oddometer: 1,004
Its a shame if you ask me..i thought it was a cool bike..seems silly to put that much time and money into engineering a bike and then only give it one year to see how it sells..Its normal for bikes to take a year or 2 to catch on in sales i would think since alot of people always want to "wait a year" for them to get the "kinks" out..

06 KTM 950 Adventure
dancolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Define "better" please.
Sales
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Yeah, but only 2+ gallons to gas?????

Kinda limiting, but otherwise a cool bike.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
stroming it softly
twins forever

Oddometer: 174
So, if a guy could pick up an x-moto pretty cheap and put some x-challenge wheels on it---would it be an x-challenge? They look pretty much the same on paper.
stroming it softly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
dircha
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroming it softly
So, if a guy could pick up an x-moto pretty cheap and put some x-challenge wheels on it---would it be an x-challenge? They look pretty much the same on paper.
Different suspension and brakes. I don't think the wheels can be swapped between the two.
dircha is offline   Reply With Quote