User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
FastRich OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
530 exc hyd clutch issue?

Looking for advice/validation that I'm going the right direction here.

I'm having a problem that I thought was clutch related on my 2010 530exc. Bike acts normal, and clutch feels ok but when you lay into the throttle, the motor revs out and doesn't go anywhere. Obvious answer is the clutch is slipping.
So I got a clutch kit and threw it in. I mic'd all the plates and springs and the new parts mic'd out quite a bit thicker than the old ones so I know there was some wear there and I felt like it should be good to go. Test rode the bike and it felt good at first but then started doing the same thing and got progressively worse just like it did before I changed the clutch.

I unbolted the slave cylinder and when I pulled it out, there was fluid so there was some leaking by of the o ring for sure. I tried to bleed it and put everything back together but it's basically a no go. I went to the shop and ordered a rebuild kit because I can't say 100% that it's just the o-ring and not the piston or diaphragm.

Would fluid between the slave piston and where the rod actuator and outer diaphragm are cause the motor to slip like that? Anybody had a similar problem?
FastRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,384
Stupid question maybe, did you change the oil and use automotive car oil in the trans side?
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
FastRich OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Stupid question maybe, did you change the oil and use automotive car oil in the trans side?
No, I use the Motorex stuff recommended in the owners manual.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:28 AM   #4
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
How many clutch plates did you put back in? The later 530 has an extra plate that's not included in some kits.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
FastRich OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
How many clutch plates did you put back in? The later 530 has an extra plate that's not included in some kits.
OEM clutch is what I took out and what I replaced it with. 9 friction plates and 8 steel plates with the inner friction plate being larger inside diameter for the two metal rings that go inside of it.

What is the deal on those rings anyway? I put the new ones in exactly like the old ones came out.

I haven't received the new parts for the slave cylinder yet but I'm definitely looking for anyone who's seen the same kind of symptoms.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
RODBOLT
Stay thirsty!

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRich View Post
Looking for advice/validation that I'm going the right direction here.

I'm having a problem that I thought was clutch related on my 2010 530exc. Bike acts normal, and clutch feels ok but when you lay into the throttle, the motor revs out and doesn't go anywhere. Obvious answer is the clutch is slipping.
So I got a clutch kit and threw it in. I mic'd all the plates and springs and the new parts mic'd out quite a bit thicker than the old ones so I know there was some wear there and I felt like it should be good to go. Test rode the bike and it felt good at first but then started doing the same thing and got progressively worse just like it did beforehand I changed the clutch.

I unbolted the slave cylinder and when I pulled it out, there was fluid so there was some leaking by of the o ring for sure. I tried to bleed it and put everything back together but it's basically a no go. I went to the shop and ordered a rebuild kit because I can't say 100% that it's just the o-ring and not the piston or diaphragm.

Would fluid between the slave piston and where the rod actuator and outer diaphragm are cause the motor to slip like that? Anybody had a similar problem?
Had a friend with the same issue. He continued riding and wound up seizing the motor from heat and oil loss as a result. Had motor built by ktm dealer with new clutch. First ride and it started slipping again. Took it back to dealer and they ended up finding a pinhole leak in clutch hydraulics that was actually letting air in and causing clutch release to apply. I can't remember if it was the hydraulic line or the slave cylinder that they replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
RODBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
FastRich OP
Adventurer

I got all the rebuild parts for the slave cylinder and put them in. I assembled and bled it off the bike and very meticulously installed it. Clutch feel is good and strong but it's doing it worse than ever. The bike barely goes. I can take off and idle and if I'm gentle on the throttle it will accelerate. If I wick the throttle at all it goes nowhere. I can shift also so I know that somehow the clutch is disengaging/slipping. Honestly the best way I can describe it is like riding around with the clutch pulled in 3/4 of the way or more.

After I tried to op test it tonight, I pulled the slave cylinder back out and there was oil (not brake fluid) in the chamber where it plugs in. I'm not sure if that's normal or not since the clutch rod goes all the way through right there. The clutch rod is far from being an oil tight fit through the hole.

So now I'm basically back where I was.

FastRich screwed with this post 02-26-2015 at 07:54 PM
Old 02-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
FastRich OP
Adventurer

It was the friggin lever! It had Sunline levers on it when I got it. I was never a big fan because they're a shorty style lever and I don't especially prefer that but hey, they look cool right?

With the allen head screw that the rod fits in threaded all the way to the stop it's still pretty tight. Apparently tight enough to put just enough pressure on the master cylinder actuating rod to slip the clutch. We're talking less than 1/8". To test the theory, I took out the allen screw and threaded it into the lever from the opposite direction just far enough to create a cup ofr the rod to fit in and sloppily actuate the clutch. I gave it a test ride and Yahtzee! It worked like a champ. So long story longer, the Sunline levers are headed for the trash can where they belong and I'll be happily slapping an OEM set on in the short term.

So I'd like to thank Sunline and the shade tree knucklehead who installed them for smoking the clutch and slave cylinder and causing me to miss a sweet 2 day DS ride last weekend. I do feel a little dumb for not paying closer attention to how tight the rod was in the end of the screw. I thought about it early on but dismissed it because it had worked before and didn't seem to affect the lever pull/release. Lesson learned for sure, stick with the simple stuff until you can completely rule it out.