Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discojon75 View Post
Ok, so my nephew lives in the Pacific Northwest. He's 22, unemployed, no college, no drivers license (never bothered getting it), and doesn't know how to drive a car. He's got no real ambition or direction in life but he's up for all kinds of adventures........................................ .

Step 5) my plan is to hand him $500, the title, 6 months of insurance on the scooter and say "so long!" It shouldn't take him TOO long to get back to Oregon right? He's got a cell phone and can always buy a bus ticket if things go wrong.

Your an evil uncle.... I like it!
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #17
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 369
Omg....

What the hell ever happened to the work ethic? Or sending spoiled brats off to serve in the military? Sorry mate but your nephew sounds like a loser and personally I think you're plan, generous as it may look to you, is exactly what another inmate said, you're going to encourage [enable] him to continue his shiftless ways. Maybe that's the reason he's the way he is, too much has been thrown his way without having to work for it. But I don't know him, don't know what his history is or anything else about him, I'm just going on your opening statement so maybe there's more to it. The way it sounds though, he's a slacker and giving him money and a free scooter boggles my mind. Where the hell were you when I needed a free scooter and five hundred bucks?

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #18
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Laugh Heh-heh

After you send him on his way, the call for help will come from Mexico when the scoot is broke down and he runs out of money.

I jest,

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #19
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Everybody is different and responds differently to different kinds of help. Nothing I have read here is wrong, this idea might work wonders for some people and make things worse for other people. Personally, when I needed help I found what helped me most was a monumental kick up the ass and the threat of imminent starvation, but I have helped others in a somewhat more gentle way and seen it work also. We don't know your nephew so we can't say for sure. I can say I applaud you for trying to help, just keep in mind this may not work or may need fine tuning.

Given the kind of jobs he will be getting will be the kind where if you are late to work even once you don't get a second chance, minimum wage type jobs, I would suggest your first criteria be that it is a Honda. Personally I love Triumph and Ducati comes a close second, but I respect that Honda make some of the most reliable, predictable machines you can get, kwaka make awesome bikes but in a rip your face off way, for a first timer Honda would be a good bet. Part of me thinks that what he needs is to be presented with something like a cbr400 in bits, a clean garage and a shop manual. With help he can learn the mechanics (don't forget at that age you still learn very quickly) side of things putting it together and the achievement of doing so will give him a well needed boost. SYM's might be a good idea but at the right price, I nearly bought one myself. GY6's, they're cheap,easy to work on, they aren't horrendous by any means but they need a lot of love to keep them reliable. I had one for 18 months, I was shocked how good it was, but rarely a fortnight went by without it being tinkered with. It only ever let me down once, but given the amount of time spent on it compared to what many people expect they should have to spend on it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't love tinkering.

I would strongly suggest that if you want to do this, you bear in mind that if you make him work for it somehow, you will be more likely to achieve what you want and what is best for him. If he has to 'earn' the bike by rebuilding it or working for free for a friend or yourself, whatever suits your situation, it will leave him feeling like he has achieved something and deserved it. This alone will probably be a bigger gift than the bike \ scoot. He has my full sympathy for how crappy the employment situation is these days, but there is work out there, you just have to be prepared to do anything for anything, but its tough to keep getting back up when you are constantly knocked down.

Having a look at semi local to you craigslist listings (only one honda really caught my eye)
http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/mcy/3363114998.html
http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/mcy/3362525997.html
http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/mcy/3362367039.html
http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/mcy/3340784456.html

Honda shadows seem to last pretty well and can be had cheap used, dual sports are another option (cheap, basic, plentiful, not too powerful). With some time and patience he should be able to learn to ride one and again the sense of achievement probably won't hurt him any :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan View Post
We have the same trouble here. What I don't understand is If it's called tourist season, why can't I shoot them
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #20
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
i think its funny so many have life lessons not for the young man, but the UNCLE. a grown man who knows exactly what he is doing

and he is gifting his nephew a cheap scooter, not a mansion or Porsche or a trip 'round the world. and he is spending some quality time with him and being a positive influence by learning him how to ride. he sounds like a good young man, this kid. as well as his uncle

people are simply too political these days. this is FAMILY! politics ruins the soul, divides people, and tears families apart. such a shame

buy the guy a scooter, unconditionally, and be done with it. unconditional love and giving, i remember that being a value once. and it is good for the soul of the giver. guess its too hard for many to get past the "left and right" thing, though. pity...,
Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #21
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
As someone who is motivated and has worked from 14 til now, 29 with only 10 months off (shut down my automotive shop due to the economy) I can say, this is THE BEST thing you can do.

When I was 17, fresh outta high school, in junior college, working 3 jobs, 2 part time, one full time, I was stuck in a rut feeling like nothing was going anywhere, cuz it wasn't.

Bus his ass down to you, show him how to maintain, change a flat, etc. Then make him SHOW you how to do it. And repeat til he has it right. Msf course, and hit the road.

Say see ya, far enough away from home to make him have to work at getting home on the 500 bucks. That way he learns good spending habits etc.

For me to get motivated, it took me getting sober and meeting my wife. I was 18 yrs old, and glad it came at the right time. I've sinced, bought a house, ran my own business, got married to her, lost my business, and coincedentally lost my house too. But I still go to work everyday, and am thankful that things are on the mend for us financially.

Go for it. You're talkin maybe 4 grand total, in the grand scheme of life the money doesn't fucking matter, but the life lesson, could change the dudes world.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
Discojon75 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Dependability is a big thing. I'm leaning towards a Honda Reflex, an SH150i, or a Big Ruckus if I can find one.
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #23
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discojon75 View Post
Dependability is a big thing. I'm leaning towards a Honda Reflex, an SH150i, or a Big Ruckus if I can find one.
Theft is also a possible issue, the reflex is probably the best out of three on that score. I know round these parts ruckus's and dual sports are very hard to hang on to. Non plated 50's are also attractive for obvious reasons.

Have you had a look at salvage bikes? it depends if your state allows you to return them to the road yourself, but it can be worth a look. Plenty of them have little more than bodywork / pegs / levers and lights to fix. Hell you can even remove the bodywork in some cases. As long as it wasn't lft running on its side it can be a cheap way to get a decent machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan View Post
We have the same trouble here. What I don't understand is If it's called tourist season, why can't I shoot them
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
Discojon75 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I'm looking at Craiglist adds for Reflex scooters... man, great prices.
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
I've seen scenarios like yours go either way; my own father was headed down the wrong path... it took harsh reality, a pregnant girlfriend at age 19 (my mom), and some strong advice from a few older men to set him straight. He managed to marry his girlfriend (my mom), raised me and my sister, became a successful auto mechanic among other careers, quit drinking and using other substances, owns a house, and a small business. I've also seen these situations go the other way; it all depends on the individual, and their own motivation. Military is a great opportunity; I joined the USAF after realizing I didn't know what I wanted to make of my life. I injured my ankle in BASIC, and left after a few months; but I managed to muddle through until I landed a decent job. I think the best thing you can do for him is to spend some quality time with him, and put him to work; give him advice on repairing the scooter, then see what he does; if he realizes he can ride home on this thing only if he puts forth the effort, it might start the ball rolling and give him some motivation and drive. Good luck! It sounds like you're one hell of an uncle.

My uncle gave me my first car; a 1987 Volkswagen GTI. It was up to me to make it road-worthy; it took three years, and cost me EVER PENNY I was able to make through high school, but I rebuilt that car from the ground up using my own two hands and determination. I used skills I learned from my dad.

If I had a kid (son or daughter) of my own, I'd do to them what my uncle and father did to me; "You want a car? Here you go; the tools are in the shed, please keep the noise down past 8:00. Call me if you need help."
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Out of place nephew

My nephew came to the family reunion kicking and screaming. He didn't want to be there, he was 17. I could see the problem and ask him if he wanted to ride my trail 90. He is a moose in size but his eyes lit up. I show him the basics. And gave him a course to ride on dirt and gravel. He came back and I said do it again. He came back and I gave him a new course and told him to ride out and come back he did. I had him do it again. While I waited his parent came expressing concern that he was irresponsible. I told them he's been very responsible with me. I had ridden these trail and I know how long they took to ride. He was spot on. I explain that he was a misfit at the reunion and I'm going to make him a perfect fit. I was hugged and left at it. When he return I said. Take it for an hour and go on any trail you want. If you get lost ask for direction and solve it yourself. Don't run out of gas. Have a good time. He did.

This young litter coming along is our responsibility.

windburn screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 11:17 AM
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Ok , I get it he is family and all that kumbya crap.

If you do this and he has not shown major improvements as a potential help to society by the time you get to CO.
Do him , us and the rest of the world a favor. Thrown the punk off a cliff and let the wolves at least get a meal out of the deal.

I have two nephews who are a lot like this waste of humanity. I told my brother to ship them one a time to me and i would fix the problem one way or another.
He is currently not returning my phone calls
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #28
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
You sound like a pretty cool uncle to me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #29
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Rule # 1

No Slackers !!

First step in a better world .
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #30
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Sounds like a cool idea. For touring around on the cheap I'd say a Honda helix.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote