User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 2,092
Plunging values of a pre-09 Harley Tourer

I was perusing Craigslist today and stumbled across a 2000 Electra Glide for only $6800 at a dealer. Looks to be in very good condition, has fuel injection, 62k miles, and it is not a salvage title. Why is this so cheap?

Now I get that everyone wants the 09+ but from what I've seen even something around an 04 has been going for 12k...this is almost half that. Is there something inherently wrong with this year being pretty early in the TC production run?

I'm not particularly interested in this bike but am genuinely curious if anyone else has seen these older tourers plunging in value. Seems like a heck of a lot of touring bike for the $$

http://www.moonmotorcycles.com/vehic...cf1f/#Features

Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
TannerLdJ123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I was perusing Craigslist today and stumbled across a 2000 Electra Glide for only $6800 at a dealer. Looks to be in very good condition, has fuel injection, 62k miles, and it is not a salvage title. Why is this so cheap?
people are probably spooked by that mileage.

plus it is 15 years old

I remember around that time people talking about buying harleys as an "investment". Guess that didn't work out
Old 04-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
Dr. Pinetree
Michael Motorcycle

Oddometer: 37
That's some serious miles for a Harley.

Most get ridden to bike night and back.

Plus, that whole "Harleys keep their value" thing went right out the window at some point. The book value is probably less than what they're asking.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #4
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 2,092
I guess I see this as a touring bike and not your typical bar hopper Harley. Shouldn't be any problem at all to get 100k out of something like that. Plus a Harley engine is so simple and there is such an aftermarket out there that a rebuild/performance upgrade shouldn't be a big deal.

When I did my tour of WA, OR, CA, NV, ID, and MT on my Ninja, Harley touring bikes like this one were about 90% of what I saw on the road. Goldwings were about 5% and a smattering of whatever else.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:46 AM   #5
spibbie
sportster barbarian

Oddometer: 99
Ive been shopping this sort of bike too, looks like used motorcycles has some sort of price discovery via market forces going on.

Make mine a pristine RK in black with a carburetor and cast wheels, 2000 or newer.
spibbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #6
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pinetree View Post

Plus, that whole "Harleys keep their value" thing went right out the window at some point. The book value is probably less than what they're asking.
Maybe that's true in PA, but in the midwest, the vast majority of bikes I see on the road are Harleys. Many with a lot of miles on them.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Why is this so cheap?

It's 15 years old and has 62K miles on it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:02 AM   #8
LudemJo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
That is only about 4,100 miles per year. That is light use in my eyes. I looks very much like my 2013 that is pushing 13,000 miles already.

John
LudemJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
I truly love the old frame. The seating position and low speed handling works for me. My 04 that I bought recently is a 5 speed and that too works for me. Those pre-09 models represent one of the best buys in motorcycling in my opinion. It is a good time to buy. At 32k miles mine is just nicely broken in, uses no oil and runs perfect. Don't be afraid!
2009 Kawasaki KLR650
1973 Jawa 350 Californian two stroke twin
Kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #10
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 2,146
Negative point #1: It's got the old MM fuel injection, which as the TB and sensors age, the fueling starts acting up, mostly at idle and it's impossible to fix easily. Most of the time a whole TB replacement is necessary.

Negative point #2: The cam chain tensioners. Even at 62K, it's due for the 3rd set, if they were ever changed previously.

Negative point #3: The miles. I don't know about the rest of the midwest but here in Wisconsin, any HD over 30K is still looked at as a high mileage example. Oddly enough there's still plenty of dumb people who will pay top dollar for a POS HD with high miles.

I would buy it, but convert to carb, true and tig the crank, and go 95" with gear drive EZ start cams. And get a glide pro stabilizer system.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #11
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
My 2000 RK. Bought new. Converted MM EFI to Mikuni 42, 95-inch kit, Andrews 26 gear drive cams. 97K miles of smiles.

marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #12
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrat View Post
My 2000 RK. Bought new. Converted MM EFI to Mikuni 42, 95-inch kit, Andrews 26 gear drive cams. 97K miles of smiles.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #13
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,780
Mine's a little different story. I bought a 4000 mile '04 RK Classic at an auction in Alabama in '13. The guy selling had bought 38 new bikes between '04 and '10 and in '13 he was getting divorced , all bike sold.
I got it for $7700 plus the buyers premium bringing the total to $8470.
Of course , it's a different ride from my 900 Monster and KLR , it weighs close to what those 2 combined weigh. Horses for courses .
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #14
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pinetree View Post

Compared to metric machines they still hold value better than nearly anything else. The economic crash of the '00's has not been kind to any motorsport industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
Negative point #1: It's got the old MM fuel injection, which as the TB and sensors age, the fueling starts acting up, mostly at idle and it's impossible to fix easily. Most of the time a whole TB replacement is necessary.

Negative point #2: The cam chain tensioners. Even at 62K, it's due for the 3rd set, if they were ever changed previously. Maybe, some of those last a long time. but you're right, they should be checked regularly, a pain in the ass..

Negative point #3: The miles. I don't know about the rest of the midwest but here in Wisconsin, any HD over 30K is still looked at as a high mileage example. Oddly enough there's still plenty of dumb people who will pay top dollar for a POS HD with high miles. 30 thousand? It's just getting warmed up.... I usually buy low (miles) and sell high and I've had no problem getting top dollar. My bikes are clean and sorted out when I sell them tho'.

I would buy it, but convert to carb, true and tig the crank, and go 95" with gear drive EZ start cams. And get a glide pro stabilizer system.
+1..^^^ Mattbastard is wise beyond his years. I did the same with my 2000 Road King. Great running machine, it had 70,000 on it when I sold it and it was good for twice that before it would need any major work, if regular maintenance was performed. Post '88-ish Evo's and Twinkies are NOT your daddies Harley.
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
I think there are 3 factors at play in regards to prices dropping on pre-2009 HD's.

Factor 1: With the 2014+ Rushmore changes people who can afford new are getting rid of their bikes in order to get the new Rushmore bikes.

Factor 2: This in turn means people with pre-2009 bikes are getting rid of them for the plethora of 2009-2013 bikes that are becoming available used.

Factor 3: The simple truth is the bikes are getting older. Its crazy to think about but a 2001 car/truck/motorcycle is 14 years old. No matter how well something holds its value the price is going to start dropping at that point.

You're also looking at any pre-2009 bike is now a 3rd generation old. Even the 2009-2013 bikes are a generation old, so you're beginning to get really dated. You think the twin cam touring bikes are starting to get cheap, start looking at the Evo motor bikes.

When it comes to the cam chain tensioners, its really not that big of a deal to take care of. I just helped a friend replace the oil pump and chain tensioners on his 88" FatBoy. Spend a few more dollars on some quick-change pushrods and you're not pulling the motor out to do it. It took us a weekend to tear the bike down and put it back together despite not having done it before and having to make some runs to Harley for parts we forgot. Once you get in there you can also just upgrade to hydraulic tensioners for about $500 and never have to worry about it again.