ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
LaserPewPewPew OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 12
S1000R cross country trip.

I am pretty sure I want to buy the S1000R next year but in 2016 I have plans to check off a bucket list and travel east to west coast. Would the S1000R be OK for the 2week trip? Based on my route I estimate 4,500 miles during that time frame.

Thoughts on the S1000R for that trip??
LaserPewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean
 
Kawasakirob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Oddometer: 792
You know what your getting into and if your hardcore go ahead and do it. 4500 miles with 14 days equates to 321 miles per day. That's not bad. If you were to stretch a couple of those rides into 800+ mile days then your really cookin.
__________________
www.chuckdavisrestorations.com
Crutchlow #35, Hayden #69, Sykes #66, Herrin #2, Noyes #9

Go Edwards # 5
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
LaserPewPewPew OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 12
My biggest concern is the lack of serious wind protection and no bike luggage offered for the bike with the exception of generic soft bags.
LaserPewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean
 
Kawasakirob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Oddometer: 792
Soft luggage will be fine and the wind protection will be ample enough at highway speeds. There are lots of choices for tank bags to rest on as well. The issues your going to have with that bike in my opinion are your knees, back and wrists aching especially if you put in some long seat time day in and day out. I wouldn't spend to much time worrying about the soft luggage and wind protection. There are options out there for that stuff. Will you be camping? Whats your starting and destination point?
__________________
www.chuckdavisrestorations.com
Crutchlow #35, Hayden #69, Sykes #66, Herrin #2, Noyes #9

Go Edwards # 5
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
LaserPewPewPew OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 12
Talking to the dealer, it seems the riser may be the first thing to add. Then potentially an aftermarket seat.

I will likely use mostly hotels. I haven't considered camping. I have friends along the states I can also stay with. It's part of the circuitous route west.
LaserPewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer
 
Vertical C's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 2,343
If you are not camping it won't be a problem.

Probably get some riding in before to get your muscles used to it is a better investment than anything else.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Patch
Studly Adventurer
 
Patch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southwestern New England
Oddometer: 693
The Bags Connection bags should do you fine for extra layers, etc - you could also just strap a Kreiga on the seat as well. I'd say go for it.

This is the one I'm looking at

Patch screwed with this post 11-18-2014 at 07:11 PM
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
LaserPewPewPew OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirob View Post
Soft luggage will be fine and the wind protection will be ample enough at highway speeds. There are lots of choices for tank bags to rest on as well. The issues your going to have with that bike in my opinion are your knees, back and wrists aching especially if you put in some long seat time day in and day out. I wouldn't spend to much time worrying about the soft luggage and wind protection. There are options out there for that stuff. Will you be camping? Whats your starting and destination point?

To answer your question, I will start from VA Beach, VA and end up in Seattle. My sister lives in Seattle and her husband also rides. He should be able to help me arrange the shipping of the bike back.
LaserPewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
LaserPewPewPew OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The Bags Connection bags should do you fine for extra layers, etc - you could also just strap a Kreiga on the seat as well. I'd say go for it.

This is the one I'm looking at

Funny, I've had my eye on that one on eBay also...
LaserPewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Patch
Studly Adventurer
 
Patch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southwestern New England
Oddometer: 693
Please buy it so I am not tempted!!!!
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
Dave W.
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas
Oddometer: 101
The Liberty Bell to the Alamo on an 07 919 with Renthal Ultra-low bars and no windscreen.

Camping.

If you are just looking to bomb cross country on the interstate, there are much better bikes to choose for that. The S1000R does have cruise control, and probably heated grips, and it's a pretty mild seating position all things considered.

If you are set on 2 weeks on an S1000R spend it on roads worth riding, not focused on clocking miles.

By the way, the S1000R is my next bike and I have ridden it.

You will be way better off with hotels than camping.

Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
LaserPewPewPew OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Please buy it so I am not tempted!!!!
Man..I just don't like the color! I really want the white one. I plan on keeping it a while, might as get the right color.
LaserPewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
LaserPewPewPew OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
The Liberty Bell to the Alamo on an 07 919 with Renthal Ultra-low bars and no windscreen.

Camping.

If you are just looking to bomb cross country on the interstate, there are much better bikes to choose for that. The S1000R does have cruise control, and probably heated grips, and it's a pretty mild seating position all things considered.

If you are set on 2 weeks on an S1000R spend it on roads worth riding, not focused on clocking miles.

By the way, the S1000R is my next bike and I have ridden it.



I plan on hitting motorcycle fun roads. My first "leg" of the journey includes Northern Georgia and Tennessee. Some states, you cannot help but just blitz through it because it's flat and very little twisties to offer. Those states I'll just blitz through.
LaserPewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Dave W.
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dallas
Oddometer: 101
I think you'll be fine. I think hotels with reservations are the way to go to unwind and be ready to ride the next day.

Pull the trigger and post up a ride report when it's done!
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean
 
Kawasakirob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Oddometer: 792
I thought you were talking about the S1000RR Duh. I keep forgetting BMW made the S1000R
__________________
www.chuckdavisrestorations.com
Crutchlow #35, Hayden #69, Sykes #66, Herrin #2, Noyes #9

Go Edwards # 5
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014