User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,890
For you long distance Road King riders

I'm a previous Road King owner, but I sold it as I could never get the wind management right. How have ya'll modified your RK's to make them long distance worthy?

I need to see over the windshield, but without being battered by turbulent wind all over my helmet.

Pics

Adding GPS to the bike in FL when I bought it, prior to the 1000 mile ride home.

After I had it modified to my taste, except for the buffeting

I've mentioned this in other HD / RK threads here, but thought I'd post it to the entire forum, as I'm considering a cruiser for my next bike.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Some guys swear by taller shields. I've seen them in the aftermarket up to 4" taller, (Rifle and Clearview) Others use a "recurve" style windshield, that never worked for me either. I'm riding behind a 15" shield and it works well for me, keeps my head above the turbulent air. I'm 6'2" and long in the torso. I always wear a full face helmet.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,068
I think your screen was too tall.

Rode friend's RK with a cut down shield, worked great. Wife has a short screen on her SuperGlide she can see over and works for the much taller me. Old Limited had a taller screen that buffeted and the new one has a shorter one that doesn't.

I see a pattern here.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,089
I've found that RK windscreens are too tall and too vertical.

I've been lucky to be able to put about 1000 miles on RKs that were owned by someone else.

Now the first thing I do If I'm riding a RK, I take the windscreen off. If I'm riding a RK I'm riding slow anyway and for me they are fine up to about 65mph and I'm not a big fan of riding them much beyond that.
I forgot to add, at 5'8" with a 28" inseam, I'm at the perfect height that the top of the screen is right in my view of the road where I look.
So I end up hunched down looking through the screen.

The little low screen is ok but to me it looks bad. And that's the best thing about an RK... It's looks.

squish screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 11:32 PM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post

Rode friend's RK with a cut down shield, worked great. Wife has a short screen on her SuperGlide she can see over and works for the much taller me. Old Limited had a taller screen that buffeted and the new one has a shorter one that doesn't.

I see a pattern here.

I suspect so. I cut my screen down quite a bit, but I don't recall going too shorty.

I test rode the RK CVO with the curved shield that Twinrider (?) here recommended. Unfortunately, I thought that screen was awful. Just made for looks, IMO, not function.

I never installed those fork "baffles" that many suggest, either.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 759
www.madstad.com Problem solved
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Woodcock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I'm 6/1 my road king I cut off 1 1/2 then added a Lamar lip
Woodcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
phillyrube
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post

I see a pattern here.
Yea, I had a shorty windshield for my FLHR, as well as the stock. Used the shorty most of the time.
phillyrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
www.madstad.com Problem solved
If I was talking about a Road Glide

Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcock View Post
I'm 6/1 my road king I cut off 1 1/2 then added a Lamar lip
During my quest to solve the buffeting problem, I called Laminar Lip and spoke to them about this.

"Harley Road King, huh? That's a tough one," was what they told me.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
During my quest to solve the buffeting problem, I called Laminar Lip and spoke to them about this.

"Harley Road King, huh? That's a tough one," was what they told me.

I like some others think shorter is better. Also some guys have said using lower fairings helps them and the helmet you wear plays into this as well. I do ok with the shorter shield and my HJC Carbon 15. I've tried other helmets as well (1/2 helmets and 3/4 helmets) and they tend to cause buffeting.

I haven't got much saddle time in other touring bikes, just Road Kings, Electra Glides and Tour Glides. How do other brands of touring bikes fare in this department?
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Perhaps having gone decades getting battered around behind the likes of Vetters and Spitfires and windscreens, I incorrectly find the space behind my Road King windscreen peacefull.

It also may have a bit to do with how far forward I am, being a smurf. I have an old reach style ComfortStitch saddle. It pushes me forward every bit as much as the current reach seats do, without the ball-buster scoop.

Honestly, I can and do ride all day long quite comfortably behind a factory windshield, hanging onto a pair of old Heritage bars.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
Yosemite
Banned

Oddometer: 67
It took me awhile to get used to mine. Most of the time I look over mine, sometimes I look through it and sometimes I look to the side of it going around sharp turns. I like that I can look down through the wind screen at the front tire if I need to like in a parking situation. I can ride all day with no fatigue from wind buffeting. I have a stock windscreen on my Road King.

Yosemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
Lobby OP
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
I like some others think shorter is better. Also some guys have said using lower fairings helps them and the helmet you wear plays into this as well. I do ok with the shorter shield and my HJC Carbon 15. I've tried other helmets as well (1/2 helmets and 3/4 helmets) and they tend to cause buffeting.

I haven't got much saddle time in other touring bikes, just Road Kings, Electra Glides and Tour Glides. How do other brands of touring bikes fare in this department?
Every BMW, every Honda, and even the KTM 990 were better in the buffeting dept. That's why the disappointment for me with the RK
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Nice FLHP, you're gonna love it.

I've considered the HD wind splitter for my FLHP. I've seen them on CVO RK's and they don't look half bad.

I'm about 5"10 and the 22" cop windshield is too tall for me to easily see over. Hit a rain storm at night and it's treacherous for me to peer over.

I don't consider the wind buffeting of the 22" FLHP billboard excessive, though my trips so far have all been 2 or 3 day weekends with an average of 700 to 1300 miles.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote