Oddometer: 2,488
It looks like a huge amount of fun!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
Does look like fun but knowing KTM it will be high maintenance and $10k.
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
You're not paying attention. Made in India to keep the cost down. Bump in displacement from the 350cc parent, but the same hp, so LESS stressed. Read. Think. Learn.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #19
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
You're not paying attention. Made in India to keep the cost down. Bump in displacement from the 350cc parent, but the same hp, so LESS stressed. Read. Think. Learn.
conversely, larger displacement = thinner walls, probably negligible in the grand scheme but its a factor. but i would still expect this to be a fantastic little machine. but i still really like the new Kawi 300, especially that its a twin and could make around 55hp pretty easily.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
CaptainFresca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I'd rather have the new 690 Duke. I wish they were importing it into the US.

The 690 weighs 330 lbs, does it not?
CaptainFresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #21
dlmarquez
dlm

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFresca View Post
I'd rather have the new 690 Duke. I wish they were importing it into the US.

The 690 weighs 330 lbs, does it not?
I will be quite happy if the 390 Duke Actually shows up in here in the USA!
dlmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #22
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
The book on my 2010 Duke says 327#.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #23
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Duke 690 is listed at 329 lbs. dry, 352 lbs. wet and is the best wgt/hp ratio in the class. Less edge than the previous generation, which is good for me. I'll buy it in a heart beat if it comes to the USA. The poor sales of the previous generation (too edgy) makes that problematic.

EX300R is 38.5 hp stock at the crank. Going to 55 hp is a 43% increase and is equivalent to a full race configuration, with high maintenance and low engine life. Also, it is not easy or inexpensive to get that high, claims on the video early in this thread notwithstanding. A 20% increase to about 46 hp is about as high as I'd go for a streetable bike and will still cost more than full Leo Vince and Power Commander V.

Given that the Duke 390 is 45 hp from a thumper (lighter at ~317 lbs. vs. 378 lbs, but more vibes), I'll take the 390 with its higher spec components. Given reports from the 350/500 EXC/XC-W crowd, maintenance shouldn't be too bad for this level of performance.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 09:59 AM
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,488
Quote:
You're not paying attention. Made in India to keep the cost down.
Oh, so really high maintenance!?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #25
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Yep! You just have to take it apart, and re-lube all the bearings, re-tighten all the bolts (add locktite), make sure none of the wires are pinched and check all the electrical contacts (add di-electsric grease). You only have to do it once, and you really get to know your new bike!

Some would say, "just like any other KTM (from Austria)", except for the grease!
Others would say, "just like any other motorcycle (period!)"

But remember, this is the internet, and we tend to hear a lot more about the bad than about the good!

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 03:05 PM
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
You're not paying attention. Made in India to keep the cost down.
Keeping the cost down is one thing, passing savings to the customer quite another... As demonstrated daily by any number of items that are now made in low cost countries but still sold at premium prices.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #27
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

I agree completely. I was just hoping the KTM was trying to do in the USA what they are doing in India - competing with the Japanese (specifically, Yamaha).

Also, I was hoping that, like the Kawasaki and Triumph production in Thailand, at least some of the savings would be used to keep the retail price down (or at least competitive).

I will pay more for a Duke 390 than the current price for the CBR250R or EX300R, and probably up to the EX650R price point. If the price goes into Street Triple R territory ($10k), I'd consider a Duke 690 but not a Duke 390.

Production numbers may also have an influence here. The Duke 125 and 200 sell well in India, but they have stiff competition from the Yamaha YZF150R and the Ninja 250. If they can make enough units to meet the demand in India for a larger displacement bike, and pay for the production line, then maybe additional units can come to the USA with only additional shipping fees. Competion here will be between the CBR250R & EX300R on the small end, and the EX650R & Suzuki Gladius on the big end. Unknowns will be the new Honda 500 offerings and anything that Triumph provides - but they seem late to the game.

We'll just have to wait and see 1) IF KTM keeps its promise to bring the bike to the USA; and 2) where they decide to put the price point.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #28
GRIPP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Wink

Quote:
I agree completely. I was just hoping the KTM was trying to do in the USA what they are doing in India - competing......................................... ....will be the new Honda 500 offerings and anything that Triumph provides - but they seem late to the game.

We'll just have to wait and see 1) IF KTM keeps its promise to bring the bike to the USA; and 2) where they decide to put the price point.
Hi, I am from India and I just bought the new duke 200 and I am in love with it. As a street bike/commuter there is nothing that comes close to it in terms of sheer riding pleasure and excitement.

Its true Indian made bikes are not the best of best in terms of quality but there are exceptions. All KTMs are made at Bajaj's brand new facility and they are surely of better quality compared to Bajaj's own product line-up. All Yamahas built here are also quite good, Hondas do lack them and feel down right cheap and so are the Royal enfields. I just hope KTM continues to make quality products in India.

ps: I am also a merchant trader so if any of you deprived souls would like to own a duke 200 I can ship them over. Send me shout if u like and I'll let u know about the price, freight, etc....
GRIPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Sending a Duke 200 here MIGHT be possible, if you keep it for art or maybe run off-road only. But truely importing it is not possible. Without EPA approval (an expensive process), it can't be registered or licensed. Some US citizens who live abroad may be able to bring one "home" used, but even foreign tourists who ride them in are supposed to take them back when they leave. I don't think we can replicate the Honda Africa Twin experience in today's regulatory environment. This would be just like Bill Gates' attempt to buy and import two Porsche 959's 20 years ago. They stayed in custom's storage for 6 years, then were shipped back to Germany.

Nice thought, though. Thanks for the consideration.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #30
LoneWolfRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Could this be the new Duke?

http://blog.ktm.com/bikes/something-...ng-in-austria/

Sounds more like their Moto3's though!

Shucks its the new prototype super duke....

http://blog.ktm.com/bikes/get-ready-...eicma-is-near/

Sounds way too puny for bigger bike!

LoneWolfRides screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 06:06 AM
LoneWolfRides is offline   Reply With Quote