User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 195
Question Whats the right price??? considering a Gasgas 80

Sooo.... being that I weigh 120 lbs drenched in sweat with my full trials gear onboard including my full face helmet ... motorcycle weight is kinda important for me, and so is managable power.

Plus, Ryan Young has been kind enough to give advice, and his repeated advice is to lower my compression or ideally get me on a smaller bike. He had Macattack go to a smaller sprocket and we are also going to add additional, um .... base gaskets, maybe?? (sorry, i'm not the mechanic. we cannot add head gaskets b/c those are o-rings on trixter, but there's a gasket lower in the case that can be added to decrease compression.)

Add to that, I have a genetic disorder that makes it easy for me to dislocate joints and a right knee that has had to be surgically rebuilt due to same .... and then dislocated once, a decade post-surgery, thanks to a kick back by my old Beta 125 ...

soooooo.... I'm really seriously considering a smaller bike. I ADORE my gasgas 280TXT (2001). but i played around on a Beta 80 a few weeks ago ... and it's weight and the less bitey power band is what finally got me doing my first consistent wheelies. AND I can start it!

This weekend, i was supposed to ride a GG 80 at TTC, but she wasn't running. Charlie at TTC strongly recommended the bike for me (but his is not for sale) -- saying that my body weight is perfect for the bike; that the GG has more consistent and reliable power band than the Beta 80, several other reasons I cannot quite remember. If it only had a LEFT side kickstart, I'd be traveling the earth looking to buy one!

but i digress...

So, I am starting to keep my eyes open for a Gasgas 80 in good condition that is 2000ish or newer. And I'm looking for advice...

1. any years to avoid? is there a 'magic year' that they changed significantly (like my Beta 125 .. I have a 1984, where 1983 was still dual shock!)
  2. any concerns, thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
  3. Does anyone here have a SMALL rider in their life that has genuinely outgrown the CAPABILITY of an 80 while competing in classes no higher than the top of intermediate -- and not simply wanted to ride what the big boys ride or physically outgrown the bike weight wise??? (Looking for ACTUAL, first hand, REAL WORLD experience here ... not terribly interested in a lot of raw theory on this data point....)
  4. What's the right approximate price range for one that isn't utterly beat to death?

(NOTE: I am ENORMOUSLY lucky to have both my own personal "automatic starter" for my current ride -- Mike -- and also my own certified motorcycle mechanic to fix basic issues and do cool things like add base gaskets to lower compression -- also Macattack Mike)

amcross screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 06:21 PM
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcross View Post
Sooo.... being that I weigh 120 lbs drenched in sweat with my full trials gear onboard including my full face helmet ... motorcycle weight is kinda important for me, and so is managable power.

Plus, Ryan Young has been kind enough to give advice, and his repeated advice is to lower my compression or ideally get me on a smaller bike. He had Macattack go to a smaller sprocket and we are also going to add additional, um .... base gaskets, maybe?? (sorry, i'm not the mechanic. we cannot add head gaskets b/c those are o-rings on trixter, but there's a gasket lower in the case that can be added to decrease compression.)

Add to that, I have a genetic disorder that makes it easy for me to dislocate joints and a right knee that has had to be surgically rebuilt due to same .... and then dislocated once, a decade post-surgery, thanks to a kick back by my old Beta 125 ...

soooooo.... I'm really seriously considering a smaller bike. I ADORE my gasgas 280TXT (2001). but i played around on a Beta 80 a few weeks ago ... and it's weight and the less bitey power band is what finally got me doing my first consistent wheelies. AND I can start it!

This weekend, i was supposed to ride a GG 80 at TTC, but she wasn't running. Charlie at TTC strongly recommended the bike for me (but his is not for sale) -- saying that my body weight is perfect for the bike; that the GG has more consistent and reliable power band than the Beta 80, several other reasons I cannot quite remember. If it only had a LEFT side kickstart, I'd be traveling the earth looking to buy one!

but i digress...

So, I am starting to keep my eyes open for a Gasgas 80 in good condition that is 2000ish or newer. And I'm looking for advice...

1. any years to avoid? is there a 'magic year' that they changed significantly (like my Beta 125 .. I have a 1984, where 1983 was still dual shock!)
  2. any concerns, thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
  3. Does anyone here have a SMALL rider in their life that has genuinely outgrown the CAPABILITY of an 80 while competing in classes no higher than the top of intermediate -- and not simply wanted to ride what the big boys ride or physically outgrown the bike weight wise??? (Looking for ACTUAL, first hand, REAL WORLD experience here ... not terribly interested in a lot of raw theory on this data point....)
  4. What's the right approximate price range for one that isn't utterly beat to death?
(NOTE: I am ENORMOUSLY lucky to have both my own personal "automatic starter" for my current ride -- Mike -- and also my own certified motorcycle mechanic to fix basic issues and do cool things like add base gaskets to lower compression -- also Macattack Mike)
An 80 might be a little underpowered, for most anyone over the age of 14... but might be safer for you, as you describe yourself.

And, it Might be worth testing a 125 of any brand. FWIW, I like the 125 gasgas only because we can swap cylinder and piston with a $900 kit to make it a 225cc. But that is me thinking ahead, as if you get going and feel confident and stronger? THen again that means you could sell any bike and add some money after a year or 2 just about as easily...

125's IMHO are relative underpowered, you might like it, in fact when the son of a friend was under 18 and competing on them, there was 100 tricks you did to try to get the power out of it. We have a gal, she and her husband post under tifferes (http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=164477) I hope she wont feel offended as I keep saying she seems to me to be about 99lbs with gear and rocks in her pockets, lol. rides a 200cc beta and loves it.

lastly, I think you ride any bike for a while, try to get used to some basics, then when you "test ride" other bikes, you have more to go by for your decision.

You need to have a bike that compliments you, I have to have a high powered snappy bike to make up for my lazy otherwise riding ability, lol. when I gas MY 2011 raga 300 pro, I just hang on, it gets the front wheel up off the ground for me, and usually takes me and my 210lb fat arse, and the rear wheel usually on over as well, but I doubt you can kick one of those .

The 80 might just be what you should have. with your fraility, I thik bike maintenence will be crucial, and hopefully cheaper than surgeries, so keep someone that knows what to do, on call to keep any bike you have in TOP shape, so you dont have the kickbacks or hard to start problems...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Beta or GG 80's are not always easy to find when you want one. In good shape they go for surprisingly big bucks - GG's are $4700+ new! They are both capable little bikes, but are definitely revy little zingers. If you fit on them, then I say there not a bad choice. My buddy rides his sons GG80 up some impressive stuff. (but its hard to do)

I know you said no theory, but I was never any good at following directions:
If your small and have physical limitations that make kick starting a risky proposition, I would certainly take a look at the new OSET 20 coming out next spring. 100% electric (no Kick Starting!) and super light (80 lbs! with the stock batteries - with the potential to drop another 10 lbs using $$ batteries) I can tell you this - it will have PLENTY of power for 120lbs of rider on a full charge at a bike weigh of almost 1/2 a Beta 80!

http://www.osetbikes.com/en/bikes/20...-electric-bike
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
nwcycle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Just WAIT !!!

Hey, sending you a PM, Call me onthis...
Save you lots of $$$$
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 667
Here's a Beta 80 that has not sold in a month.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/3385829971.html
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Beta or GG 80's are not always easy to find when you want one. In good shape they go for surprisingly big bucks - GG's are $4700+ new! They are both capable little bikes, but are definitely revy little zingers. If you fit on them, then I say there not a bad choice. My buddy rides his sons GG80 up some impressive stuff. (but its hard to do)

I know you said no theory, but I was never any good at following directions:
If your small and have physical limitations that make kick starting a risky proposition, I would certainly take a look at the new OSET 20 coming out next spring. 100% electric (no Kick Starting!) and super light (80 lbs! with the stock batteries - with the potential to drop another 10 lbs using $$ batteries) I can tell you this - it will have PLENTY of power for 120lbs of rider on a full charge at a bike weigh of almost 1/2 a Beta 80!

http://www.osetbikes.com/en/bikes/20...-electric-bike
]

Laser,
that's absolutely all over my dreams....but just dream. that's far outside any budget I can justify for my hobby. but you bet i've thought about one long and hard!
i also wish we liked 2 other bikes mike has mentioned that he could add an electric start. I can't recall what they are, other than difficult to find.

I did ride a GG200 this weekend, and it started FARR easier than my TriXTer, with no kickback.
AMC
Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Question

So...one data point of advice was that the power on the GG 80 was far smoother/cleaner, less "bitey" than the Beta. Does anyone else agree?
Does anyone else have input on chosing one vs the other?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 532
I have one sorta local to me that I could help you with, and I'm a durn sight closer than Sacramento...

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mcy/3387720845.html
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
cveddy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I am a big proponent of lighter/less power is better with trials bikes. If you are not riding beyond intermediate, and you weigh 120 pounds, I see no reason to have a 280. Trials is much more about what you as a rider are doing on your bike versus what bike you are riding. You can do a lot more on a bike you are comfortable with versus one you are not.

I have never ridden a 80 or a 125 so no help there. I did put a novice girlfriend of mine on a 97 TXT200 GasGas and she loved it. I would recommend a 200. They are real mellow in stock form and with an extra base gasket they start easier and are even more forgiving.

If you are comfortable on the 80, go for it.

There is a 200cc Sherco on the UMTA page: http://umta.org/used-bikes/
cveddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveddy View Post
I am a big proponent of lighter/less power is better with trials bikes. If you are not riding beyond intermediate, and you weigh 120 pounds, I see no reason to have a 280. Trials is much more about what you as a rider are doing on your bike versus what bike you are riding. You can do a lot more on a bike you are comfortable with versus one you are not.

I have never ridden a 80 or a 125 so no help there. I did put a novice girlfriend of mine on a 97 TXT200 GasGas and she loved it. I would recommend a 200. They are real mellow in stock form and with an extra base gasket they start easier and are even more forgiving.

If you are comfortable on the 80, go for it.

There is a 200cc Sherco on the UMTA page: http://umta.org/used-bikes/
ah, eddy now i'm drooling over that 125 4-stroke on that page!!!! but i can't justify spending that much without selling my 280.....
Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

I BOUGHT IT... :) couldn't turn it down at $1,100. Mike and I have agreed I'm going to work hard to learn to ride it, even if I don't like it. Then see how the skills transition to my 280 which I"m keeping, at least for now. Come spring, if I hate the 80 or have outgrown it, it seems to be a hot little bike to resell. If i'm in love and convinced i'll stay with it then we'll argue about whether or not the 280 has to find a new owner.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Laugh

WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-LLEEEEEE WHEEEEE!!!!

and a "whinggg dingnggg dinggg dinggg" to go with it....as I can start it .. with EITHER leg!

I mean, um ... the vote is still out, but preliminarily, I find it an acceptable mode of transportation if no other is available.

NO, wait, WHEEE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcross View Post
WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-LLEEEEEE WHEEEEE!!!!

and a "whinggg dingnggg dinggg dinggg" to go with it....as I can start it .. with EITHER leg!

I mean, um ... the vote is still out, but preliminarily, I find it an acceptable mode of transportation if no other is available.

NO, wait, WHEEE!!!!!!!!!!
This is what trials is all about! You go girl!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #14
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
This is what trials is all about! You go girl!!!
THANKS!, Trialboss! I get to try to take her uphill today, so we'll see how happy I am in a few hours.... but at least for last night i was enjoying her quite a lot and felt like I was making some fun progress.

Most of all:
1) I can start it with my left leg -- which protects the rebuilt right knee;
2) I can work on wheelies and my "wheelie square" for 45 minutes without feeling so fatigued I want to go to bed.