ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
2014 SMART ride

2014 SMART ride
Here’s the tracks for the “SMART” ride, Aug. 15th & 16th , 2014. The rest of the info is here> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973237

TRACKS: “SAT” and “SUN” are all doable for an average rider with a KLR or big GS with street tires. They may be a challenge for a less than average rider, on a bigger than average bike. (But, if you are a less than average rider, on a bigger than average bike, you have your own set of problems to begin with and I can’t fix that!) There are some creek crossings that should not be a problem this time of the year.
The tracks are 233 and 213 miles long, and almost 5000 points each. This easily fits most GPSs. If you have an old one or one with a small memory you may need to filter it to less points and/or cut it into more shorter tracks. If you have some automotive type GPSs you may even need to convert it to a “route”. You can do all of this with BaseCamp or other free programs.
Track “BigBoy” is there for the people that need to have a challenge. It may even be a challenge just to find it, but it’s there and Linda, Leo and myself have ridden it. So if you try and fail remember this, “a girl did it”!

GAS: Sat.; Gas at 45 miles, is less than a mile off the course in Bunker, the old station has premium. Gas at 120 miles on the course in Van Buren. Gas at 200 miles, is 10 miles off the course in Alton. Gas at the end in Mammoth Springs at 233 miles. So if you can do 120 miles on a tank you will be going right past gas stations. If you can do 75 miles on a tank you can make it, but will need to get off course slightly to get gas.
Sun.; Gas at 75 miles in Birch Tree. Gas at 92 miles in Eminence. Gas at 145 miles 1.5 miles off the course in Bunker. Back at start/finish at 213 miles.

FOOD: The restaurant in Bunker is ok, they haven’t killed me yet. Same for Ruby’s. The Float Stream Restaurant is great. Stray Dog is ok, BBQ and pizza, buffet sometimes. The restaurant in Birch Tree is good too, don’t remember the name but it’s next to the feed mill. The River Bend restaurant on the river is real good too. Jilly’s has good burgers and samiches, no big menu, but 20 flavors of HOMEMADE ICE CREAM! Fred’s Fish House, small dive with good fish and sides. I eat at Fred’s, then get desert at Jilly’s! There are others too, but I have not personally eaten at them. There is a steakhouse across the street from the motel, but I’ve never tried it ‘cause I ain’t a steak guy.

LODGING/CAMPING: I suggest Saturday night at Mammoth Springs Lodge motel and Spring River Oaks Campground. They both have been checked out and are expecting us, but there are other motels and campgrounds too. Friday and Sunday nights -- camping at MTRA’s club grounds, or the Miner’s Inn at Viburnum.

WAYPOINT: “Horses” Well some dumb ass put horse stables on both sides of the road and uses the public road like it's his own. Slow down and cut the idiot some slack.

What else can I tell you?

Tracks are being corrected for some mistakes that will lead you into private ground!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx SMART tracks final.gpx (13.2 KB, 36 views)

sieg screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 10:36 AM
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 296
Cry

Downloaded perfectly. Man.....that looks like a GREAAAT route. Oh if only I was 40 again. Or 50. Or 60. Or 70........
Old 08-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey this is an old man ride! I set it up!
You in FL. or MO.
And BTW your the only one paying attention and found the tracks before I told anyone
Old 08-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,671
duno about eating in birchtree. But Arnold's 21 burgers has just reopened in Mountain View.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

I guess you mean Mt. View MO. at 12 miles off course, not Mt. View AR. at 75 miles off course.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Toadady
Push'n parts

yup, home
Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
r11mja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I couldn't get the tracks to open in mapsource. seems i had the same problem with your phbr tracks as well. but don't remember the solution. I think big dog helped me with it. help???
r11mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Toadady
Push'n parts

they loaded as .php in my lap top, but as a .gpx in the tower. duno how to change it , I just used the tower pc to load onto my device
Old 08-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11mja View Post
I couldn't get the tracks to open in mapsource. seems i had the same problem with your phbr tracks as well. but don't remember the solution. I think big dog helped me with it. help???
I don't have a clue. They open in MapSource for me, or BaceCamp. I made them with MapSourse.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #10
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
woooo, another track in my collection, thank you!

thanks also for making great waypoints with custom icons, beautiful!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
r11mja
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I don't have a clue. They open in MapSource for me, or BaceCamp. I made them with MapSourse.
they saved as a gpx file but when i try to open in mapsource it says it is not a mapsource file. i'll play with it some more.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
A_SAPPER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I am having issues with it in both map source and base camp but I am sure it is on my part of not being gps smart
A_SAPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 117
File saving tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SAPPER View Post
I am having issues with it in both map source and base camp but I am sure it is on my part of not being gps smart
I run into this problem every now and then. More with Base Camp but Mapsource by itself occasionally. Here is the method I use as a work around. When you download the file and the download window pops up near the bottom of the screen use the option "Save As" then when you type in the file name be sure to add ".gpx" at the end. For example I named this file SMART2014.gpx. If I simply call it SMART2014 Base Camp will not recognize it. Does that make sense? I am not a mapping expert, just a simple farmer but this method has served me well over time. Good luck and you can follow me if you have no luck.
4-s-hsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
sieg OP
Beastly Adventurer

Farmer...I use to be a farmer.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #15
r11mja
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-s-hsky View Post
I run into this problem every now and then. More with Base Camp but Mapsource by itself occasionally. Here is the method I use as a work around. When you download the file and the download window pops up near the bottom of the screen use the option "Save As" then when you type in the file name be sure to add ".gpx" at the end. For example I named this file SMART2014.gpx. If I simply call it SMART2014 Base Camp will not recognize it. Does that make sense? I am not a mapping expert, just a simple farmer but this method has served me well over time. Good luck and you can follow me if you have no luck.
didn't work for me, just keeps telling me it is "not a valid mapource file"